• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 P police with 40x trigger

James n TN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2004
Tennessee
Thinking of buying one of these in a 300 wm would like your guys advice on Remington's quality and how these rifles shoot.

Thanks in advance

I have an LTR based setup which is basically the same with minor differences. It shoots excellent and I have had no issues whatsoever. The 40x trigger is excellent and is easily tuned to a level close to that of aftermarket.

I have an LTR based setup which is basically the same with minor differences.
You mean major differences.

You will never get an accurate belted magnum if rifle if the chamber is headspaced at the belt.

OP, if you don't know the manufacturer or the rifle or the cartridge, you probably neither want nor need a magnum.

Last edited:

I have a 700P in 308 that I've shot to 1K. Chamber was a bit rough....No worries.
The OP is asking about a nine pound .300WM: Worries.

I've said it on the Threads I responded to that asked the same question as this one: With a Remington factory rifle, YOU are the quality control. Meaning, if you know enough to find out that something is wrong with it then it's up to you to articulate the problem and send it back.

And when you do that, if you want it fixed the rifle has to be out of spec. Anybody wonder why the magnum model has less of an accuracy spec than the standard models?

If you want to roll the dice with a Remington factory rifle, get an LTR or a 5R Milspec.

Last edited:
I know all about a 300 win mag no worries my concern is Remington's QC now days. I have heard of rough bores and seen. Where the recoil lug is not aligned correctly so my question was with concern of the unity issues from Remington from this particular rifle.

My next option would be looking into a kimber model 8400 advance tactical in a 300 wm

The QC is that you take your chances: You might get a good one; you might not.

What is the intended purpose of the rifle?

Shooting paper and steel out to 1000 yards is main purpose.
I had a 300 wm yrs ago that was a 40x SS KS and it was one hell of a shooter. I broke that rifle down when I began shooting bench rest and built a 300 Ackley then a 30 Boo Boo HG rifle. So now I'm wanting another for punching paper and steel.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

had a sendeo vs 300wm back in the late 90's the first one had a big gark in the chamber so had to wait another 4 months for another on (New Zealand). it shot great, used it for free rifle nra, (open class) used 175gr smk at 3150 and used 27 mins to 1000yds. would shoot 1/2" at 200m with 180 bt ammo. great gun and looked at another but got a 260 as does it better with less powder.

I have an LTR based setup which is basically the same with minor differences. It shoots excellent and I have had no issues whatsoever. The 40x trigger is excellent and is easily tuned to a level close to that of aftermarket.

Let me guess: Do you have an LTR based setup?

I apologize for that. I would delete them if I knew how. I realize the differences, I was simply introducing my opinion that the police line of rifles have been excellent judge from the extent of my experience.

I bought a left handed 700P LTR back in the spring and it came with the X-Mark Pro trigger. I'm not sure if the trigger was because it was a lefty model or what but if you are after a 40x trigger you might want to ask before purchase.

Mine came in pretty good shape and shot around 3/4" groups at 100 yards consistently. My only gripe is the bolt handle broke at the top of the knob...there were quite a few voids in the casting there.

I own one 700P 308 my gun is great. I think that a company like Rem. making guns for law enforcement that will be used as such would make these rifles to their highest standards. IMHO

I think that a company like Rem. making guns for law enforcement that will be used as such would make these rifles to their highest standards.
Think again: The LE market is third behind the military, which has contracting and testing requirements, and the commercial market which has expectations of quality, fit and finish.

Last edited:
OP, if you don't know the manufacturer or the rifle or the cartridge, you probably neither want nor need a magnum.

The OP is asking about a nine pound .300WM: Worries.

I've said it on the Threads I responded to that asked the same question as this one: With a Remington factory rifle, YOU are the quality control. Meaning, if you know enough to find out that something is wrong with it then it's up to you to articulate the problem and send it back.

And when you do that, if you want it fixed the rifle has to be out of spec. Anybody wonder why the magnum model has less of an accuracy spec than the standard models?

If you want to roll the dice with a Remington factory rifle, get an LTR or a 5R Milspec.

pretty sure this is the OP
Tennessee Tack-Driver within AccurateShooter.com

If so, I would have expected a more precise question. No worries, though, I suppose we all have gaps in our knowledge.

What do you mean precise? I haven't purchased a factory rifle in years and I wanted to know the quality in these particular rifles now days. I understand its a factory rifle massed produced but sometimes a certain line of rifles may get a better fit and QC standards than another line.
its OK I found a nice 40x in a 300 WM so I'm going that route since I owned one in the past.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

No offense intended. Factory quality control is practically nonexistent. That is, unless you buy an AI.

Food for thought...

I recently got a headspace set for a build I was doing and decided to test three R700's they would fit. One 308 purchased in the mid 90's and two SPS's (308 and 243) bought in 2008-2010. All closed with no resistance on a nogo but not the field gauge. Checked a factory winchester and two customs I have... of course the customs would not close on a nogo and neither did the winchester.

Last edited: