• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 problem. Help please!

medium rare

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
San Antonio
I have a wounded soldier out helping me guide a military widow hog hunt. He brought out his brand new rem 700 7mag. He told me the gun would not extract a spent case without the safety on. I know the safety has nothing to do with the extractor ring. The extractor is the rivet type I think and it has no springiness to it. It is just hard against the interior side of the bolt. The bolt has a damaged area on the outside just behind where the rivet is and has raised the metal on the face of bolt ring in the one side. Anyone have any ideas and how would I go about removing the extractor? I have replaced the extractors on the non rivet type before but not sure how to deal with rivet. Disregard corn dog grease on the plate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 20
take a punch and knock the rivet out--put in a new extractor and a new rivet--or have a sako installed

I, personally, would not recommend a Sako extractor in a rem bolt.
Much better and safer to go with m-16 style extractor

I don't think he wants to spend the money on a new style extractor. I would help him replace the extractor but as the pictures show the rivet is either grinded or smashed on the outside with no indication of where exactly the rivet is on the outside. I think I'll just get him to take it to a real gunsmith instead of myself or maybe call gunshop he got it from. He was under the impression the gun was new. Thanks for the advice.