• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Purchase Advice

pxlperf

Stay feathery
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2020
Idaho
I apologize for the new account new-b question... but I am looking to get a Remmington 700. There are a couple of reasons... I'll spare you them but I've done my research and I'm confident it's the right choice.

There are two options available that look good. My question is, one is clearly newer than the other, as the barrel has a QR code stamped on it. Both of the rifles appear to be in hardly used condition, with a few minor marks and nothing else. Neither has glass (I already have a scope so this is fine). The newer one is $25 more. Which should I go for? My initial reaction was newer is better, but, there seem to be various internet posts (including on here) of: "I've shot 700s my whole life and the new ones suck...". Is this just because they haven't been "tuned" yet? Of note, one of the reasons I want a 700 is because I want something I can take apart and put back together and tune myself, so having a rifle that's already done isn't necessarily a good thing. That being said, I don't want something that's going to make it the struggle bus to get right.

certainly far from an expert on these matters but i would imagine it would help if people better understood what your needs/goals are with the rifles as well as which particular models you were considering and of course their price

- Are they both actual Remington 700s?
- Do you have any way to get an answer to how many bullets have gone down each barrel?
- Are they both stock, or does either have aftermarket hardware? If so, what?
- Are they both from the same seller/selling location? Store or individual?

If they are both truly the same, then the main question for me would be how many rounds are on each barrel?

Reactions: pxlperf
If you can shoot them first that would be ideal, that way you could determine if one shoots better than the other. Or at least find a way to determine when they were manufactured. There is a thread here sort of recently where someone noticed machining marks on a brand new r700 action presuming that Remington may be getting their shit together and starting to act like a real business again

What do you mean by “take apart and tune”, specifically?

Sorry I initially had a very long-winded post and may have stripped too much out. Needs/goals are essentially to be comfortable servicing it myself, it's also my "apocalypse" gun, my banger, and I would like to buy/install customizations on it myself, such as a stock, maybe a trigger, more for the experience than anything.

They are both actual 700s, from different local dealers (yay for Idaho considering them essential). Both dealers have excellent Google reviews. Both are vanilla factory setups, which is fine, I want to tweak it myself for the learning experience. I did not specifically ask about number of rounds down the barrel but I know at least the one store advertised it when they knew it and they were not advertising it. Both barrels looked "clean" from my eye, though I am not an expert. From the overall shape of the guns, I would say neither has been used that much, my grandfather was the most careful man I ever met with all his rifles, and you could definitely tell which ones he shot regularly and which ones the grandkids were not allowed to touch (read: both of these are on the grandkids don't touch condition).

If you’re ok with possibly having to get it trued and spending more $$ then it won’t really matter which one you choose, just get the less expensive one. That way you can have your smith take measurements and can make a barrel for you pretty easily. Or you can just slap a barrel/nut combo on it and re-evaluate how it shoots

Last edited:
If you’re ok with possibly having to get it trued and spending more $$ then it won’t really matter which one you choose, just get the less expensive one. That way you can have your smith take measurements and can make a barrel for you pretty easily. Or you can just slap a barrel/nut combo on it and re-evaluate how it shoots

I think you just used enthusiast lingo to state what I want to do? :unsure::ROFLMAO: If I replace the stock and add glass, I'm going to have to do this anyway, right?

Reactions: The D
the 5R barrel is generally well regarded so its a plus in my book

if you're going to hike/hunt it's tougher to carry a really heavy rifle

if you're shooting off a bench or prone, some weight might be a positive

The 5R barrel?

Probably mostly prone.

I think you just used enthusiast lingo to state what I want to do? :unsure::ROFLMAO: If I replace the stock and add glass, I'm going to have to do this anyway, right?

Not if you’re only going to put the action in another stock and put a new scope on it.

If you really want to go full ham in a 700 it would be cheaper to buy a bare action or a barreled action from somewhere that does some machine work before putting a barrel on the action. This way you save the expense of the stock shit that’s going to be taken off.

i copied this from wikipedia: five radial lands and grooves (5-R) with a right-hand (RH) twist. Because of the odd number of lands, none of the lands are 180° apart, i.e. in direct opposition. This results in less bullet deformation, which (at least in theory) produces more consistent point of impact. In 5-R rifling, the "side" of the land is cut at a 65° angle, rather than 90° in conventional rifling. This results in less barrel fouling, and more consistent point of impact, compared to conventional rifling when relatively high numbers of rounds are fired between cleaning, as might be expected in military applications.
the M24 military sniper rifle uses the 5R barrel if that helps as well.

Remington products are trash. Lots of actions out there now that accept rem 700 footprint stocks/chassis, triggers, etc.

Origin action for example takes rem 700 chassis and triggers, but takes a small shank savage barrels allowing you to rebarrel at home with basic tools. You can order a barrel with whatever contour, rifling, caliber that you want. Depending on your budget this might be something to consider.

if you want a complete remington 700 from factory this one is generally well thought of: Remington 29663

Reactions: TurdFerguson
OP, the ADL varmint is a bottom of the barrel remington rifle made for box stores such as Dicks and what not. Its an SPS with poor finish, QC and no bottom metal. Spend a bit more and buy a 5r or a 5r milspec, the step up in price is worth it over the long run. The finish on the ADL guns are terrible and timing on the bolt is usually off. They are finished worse than the SPS rifles.

If your looking for an action just get the 700 police from europtic. 5r barrel, parked, 40x trigger. Then buy a used B&C stock and floorplate/DBM and your ready to rock.

ETA I like Remington however, you get what you pay for. Any rifle built to sell at Wallyworld or Dicks will never be a quality build, I am sure even Tikka or Bergara would have issues with rifles built to the Dicks standards. I think most of the Issues people mention online are not with the 5R's, 700p's ect they are with the lower end rifles built to sell at walmart, dicks or dunhams. I've had issues with SPS's but the mid and high end rifles are fine. Least in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lionsbreath
If you want the experience of putting together your own 700, why not buy a 700 action, Remage prefit from Northland/Criterion, good used trigger and KRG Bravo/affordable stock from the PX here.. Knowing what I know now, I personally wouldn’t dump $$ into “truing”, side bolt releases, and tactical bolt knobs on a 700.. pretty sure that rifle would hammer pretty good tho

I’m pretty comfortable with that as a blanket statement.
Not talking about older Remington products, like before 2000. New Remington stuff is trash.
Admittedly they have had some questionable quality control since being bought out by freedom group, but by and large they still make good rifles for the money. And most of the rifles with 5r barrels are solid shooters. They may not have the bells and whistles of custom actions but not everyone wants, needs or can afford that. But to say the entire line is trash is ridiculous.

My 308 aac sd shoots sub 3/4" groups with factory match ammo.

If you want the experience of putting together your own 700, why not buy a 700 action, Remage prefit from Northland/Criterion, good used trigger and KRG Bravo/affordable stock from the PX here.. Knowing what I know now, I personally wouldn’t dump $$ into “truing”, side bolt releases, and tactical bolt knobs on a 700.. pretty sure that rifle would hammer pretty good tho
I have that "exact rifle" and it was 2nd high score on the kyl stage yesterday.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I have that "exact rifle" and it was 2nd high score on the kyl stage yesterday.
That’s what I’m talkinin’ about right there boys, hey..I’ll admit it, I love my 700’s and I’m not gonna go be poor somewhere else? I’m gonna stay right here and lurk on the Hide, till I have enough jingle for AI

If you are set on a Remington, then get the older of the two rifles. I have 5 Rem 700's and the older one (pre 1999) locked up tighter, smoother action and tighter tolerances. Not to bash Remmy but my objective observation is the newer two of my rifles both had excessive headspace, play in the bolt after lock, horrible triggers, and took forever to break in the action. I still like them, but it took more money and tweaks to get them were my out of the box Tikkas were from day one. My older 700 in 30-06 is a thing of beauty.

OP, the ADL varmint is a bottom of the barrel remington rifle made for box stores such as Dicks and what not. Its an SPS with poor finish, QC and no bottom metal. They are finished worse than the SPS rifles.

Any rifle built to sell at Wallyworld or Dicks will never be a quality build, I am sure even Tikka or Bergara would have issues with rifles built to the Dicks standards.

I have to disagree with this. the manufacturers do not build firearms to vendors specifications. They build different versions of a specific model that meet certain price points and the retailers decide which models they want to market.
I've looked at identical firearms, both long guns and handguns, in big box and local gun stores and have not seen any significant differences in fit or finish. I would be curious if you based those statements on factual evidence or were they just your opinions.

I just recently purchased a new old stock .223 700 tactical on GB for under $500. It is a G prefix serial made in 2011.

The rifle is a laser, only issues are the stock is made from jello and the 5 pound trigger but everything else is good.
Bolt timing, headspace and throat area were spot on. Maybe I just got lucky but I would buy another one.

I have to disagree with this. the manufacturers do not build firearms to vendors specifications. They build different versions of a specific model that meet certain price points and the retailers decide which models they want to market.
I've looked at identical firearms, both long guns and handguns, in big box and local gun stores and have not seen any significant differences in fit or finish. I would be curious if you based those statements on factual evidence or were they just your opinions.

Nevermind re read the quote. I see what your saying. I think you put it better than I did. ADL tactical and AAC-tactical share the same action/finish just a deleted floorplate/ lower end stock. I just think if the Op could swing it to buy a little higher end. Like the updated 700p action that europtic sells. He'd be better off or at least an AAC-SD least then he has a floorplate and wouldn't have to source one if he starts reworking it 1 piece at a time. But there is no mention of the ADL so I am guessing I am in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
I just bought one of the Remington PCR 6.5 Creedmoor rifles that Midway was blowing out for $699. They have changed something, because this rifle looks great, the lugs are wearing evenly, locks up tight, bolt handle and barrel are threaded, has a M-Lok handguard, and the receiver is even relieved to feed from AICS mags. I had to change the craptastic trigger, but everything else is GTG. I am not a Remington fan, and swore I would never buy one, but fair is fair they did a great job on this one.
251C35B7-EE41-46B0-9646-86F4AEE1741D.jpeg

Reactions: The D
I have not completely researched this but it appears that the "tactical" line of Remingtons have barrels with a faster twist rate, allowing stabilization of hevier bullets

My PCR has a 5r barrel and is 1/8 twist. I borescoped it before firing it and it wasn’t bad for a factory barrel.

The bolt looked like it was parkerized and is just starting to wear in. Not as smooth as a Howa or tight as a custom but not bad for factory. I have just over 100 rds through it all factory American Gunner to date. Last chrono it was at 2700 FPS, I will check again at 200 rds. All my groups, even on a shitty day, have been sub moa.
1FA90546-BC7F-4606-A22B-8EEFFE7369CA.png

4B170CA6-765D-4F4A-8E89-069309B910CF.png

Last edited:
Reading through this thread has got me thinking,Now I am shooting RPR in 223 & 6.5 cm. I love to mess with my guns and change things. I have a Rem 700 in 270 cal I used for hunting, Have not shot it in may be 10 years. Purchased it in the early 70s may be 200 rounds total. Is this a good canidate for a good shooter? I like the looks of some of the chassis offered and may be change the cal. Help me spend her money. Thanks

I would say, for the most part, Remingtons are a good way to start. I've had 2, still have one. The first one I bought was an aac-sd. I had zero complaints, put close to 6k rounds through out and out never let me down, held about .75 moa until the end of the barrel life. I regret selling that rifle still, but it's been replaced with something really nice (300 norma ?). I bought a 700p based on my experience with the AAC-sd. It had a significant issue out the gate, it wouldn't extract brass once shot. After trying to return it (the shop turned it to be a bunch of assholes), I called Remington and they had me send it to a smith who said the chamber was dirty and needed polishing. After a month and a half, I get it back, still had issues. I then deployed for ten months. Came back and started shooting again, called Remington, told them the deal again, they had me send it to another smith. This smith said the same thing, dirty chamber and needed polishing. 2 months later, got nt rifle back, same issues. Called remington, they said well that sucks, it's out of warranty so good luck. I ended up talking it to a local smith and after digging in, he found the bolt face wasn't recessed enough. He reamed it out and it worked perfect. I've got about 1700 rounds through it, and it maintains just over .5 moa. I would say Remingtons are shooters for sure, I just dont remington the company. Telling me to take a hike was a kick in the junk. I wouldn't buy another, but I won't get rid of the one I have.
I feel like I made more of a case to stay away, but now that it's fixed, it's amazing.

Don't be afraid of Remington’s, remember where you are. You are among the most discriminating gun owners anywhere and most with very expensive top of the line weapons. Here you come getting started closer to the other end of the spectrum and thus the disconnect. My first rifle was a Remington 700 SPS in .308. It shot well for a $600 rifle, better than I could at the time. It wasn’t built to be a precision shooting laser but it would shoot 10 rounds under an inch!
i-L5bKVMw-XL.jpg

For my second rifle I bought a stainless Remington receiver online for less than $300 and a McRees Precision Barrel Kit - 308win for $449.56. I put them (un trued) into a MDT chassis and I forgot how much that was maybe $700. But the bottom line the thing shot great as you can see below. So you can get a lemon from anybody.

As you can see from the groups the only problem was still my inability:

IMG_0876-003-XL.jpg

Of note, one of the reasons I want a 700 is because I want something I can take apart and put back together and tune myself, so having a rifle that's already done isn't necessarily a good thing. That being said, I don't want something that's going to make it the struggle bus to get right.

Mixed message there. With an R700, you might end up doing some gunsmithing for yourself, but getting it right might just get you on that struggle bus.

Easier to get a gun that works well right out of the box. I've owned older and current R700. If you're set and know what you're doing having done your research, you don't need to be asking for help. If you really want to listen, get something else.

I'd consider a Tikka with a heavy barrel, decently fast twist, and dropped into a KRG Bravo myself.

The 721/725/700 was revolutionary when it first appeared a zillion years ago. There are better designs out there now.

If you want to customize of course the 700 is king because everyone makes everything for it. But if you are going to upgrade everything you should start with something better to begin with (or have one built). Of course many people go the major upgrade path because they have a 700 and just start making improvements.

Remember there are more accurate 700's out there than anything else and also more inaccurate 700's out there than anyone else. For every tack driver there is a bomb.

If you can verify the accuracy of any used gun that is a big plus. If not, I would look for something else.

BTW I have a pretty accurate 700 and it is the last 700 I will ever own.

Is this just because they haven't been "tuned" yet? Of note, one of the reasons I want a 700 is because I want something I can take apart and put back together and tune myself, so having a rifle that's already done isn't necessarily a good thing. That being said, I don't want something that's going to make it the struggle bus to get right.

I'm not sure what research you did to arrive at the conclusion you need a 700 versus a clone. Knocking out a couple of pins and changing a trigger is not much of a learning experience. If you don't have any experience with adjusting triggers, well you may gain some knowledge you don't want. The tuning the average person can do is learning how to bed a stock which is unnecessary with most chassis. The only other truing you can do is if you own a lathe and know how to use it.

I would do more reading here about ARC and Bighorn/Zematt Arms, etc. 700 clone actions. You can pick your caliber and install your own pre-fit barrel at home.

If you're insistent on owning an action that actually says Remington 700 on the side I suggest you look at the top of the bolt action pinned threads and find the one about the Snipers Hide Ashbury Precision 700.

If you can buy a barreled action or rifle other than this and it's accurate, consider yourself lucky. When you decide it isn't any longer or never was to begin with, you're going to have to pay a gunsmith and you'll have an action with more $ into it than you can ever regain if sold. Then you're going to buy a trigger, maybe a different recoil lug, pay someone to fit a side release, buy a stock/chassis, pay someone to thread and chamber the new barrel you buy.

While there are many reasons to own a 700 type rifle as far as accessories go, I think there's just as many reasons not to actually buy a stock Remington in 2020.

Reactions: Jrs9898
In '12 I started out with a 700 SPS Varmint Model (26" barrel) in .308 - $450 on sale at Cabellas - my first bolt gun! The bolt was a bit stiff, but hey it's a new gun. Bolt broke in with use. It's very smooth and has no ejection problems. Trick with these guns is learning how to properly load the box.
Then I got it a HS Precision Pro stock. Forgot what I paid for it, maybe $225?
Hated the stock 40X trigger - never would adjust, then they had the recall, so I put in a 2.5 lb $110 Timney trigger. Muuuch better (I know there are better out there).
Hated first scope - Vortex Viper PST 4-16 mil dot ret ($600) with Vortex high rings & Night Force picatinny rail - never could get along with that scope system on that particular rifle. I had been shooting it long enough(years) to be pretty confident it was the scope and not me.
After a few years of frustration and believing in the rifle, I dropped coin on a Night Force NSX 8-32 with their tall rings - $2100. This is the only optic system I've ever mounted where the point of aim is pretty much the point of impact.
Here's what this system can do.
700, 100 yd goodness (2).jpg

This is 5 rounds at 100 yds... I got excited on #5. :) I consider myself a beginner level shooter.

Rem 700 (2).jpg

Heavy beast @ 13+ lbs. I would hate to lug it around for much of a distance.

Maybe I got lucky with an off the shelf box store rifle, but am totally satisfied. For the money, it's a very fine shooter.

Rocketmandb has the right questions. I would add, if there's nothing wrong with the rifle, why is it for sale? But then I'm not much of a horse trader.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thecelt
Unless the older one was made 10-15 years ago, there's no difference in the quality. The QC has been equally crap over that time period. Remington can put out a good product, but they let their tooling get far too dull before they change out. It's really a crap shoot. Try and get a good look at the chamber, and pick the better one.

The very first upgrade you should make is the trigger. Please do yourself and everyone around you a favor and get an aftermarket trigger. The X-Mark pro is not safe. Remingtons are known to fire when they're really not supposed to due to their triggers. Ask any SWAT Sniper instructor, they've seen plenty of failures which is why their safety is an open bolt. Remington has not made a good trigger design since the very old walker triggers.

If you're trying to use the gun stock for a long time with upgrades as you can afford, this is a good route for you. If you're trying to get into precision long range work, you may be better suited with another option.

The Bergara B14HMR is a great value that can be had for around $800-$900
The trigger is safe and very nice as far as factory triggers go, the stock is good enough to not need replacing, a good bolt knob is already installed, barrel is threaded, and accepts AICS pattern magazines. It's everything a guy could want right from the start.

Unless the older one was made 10-15 years ago, there's no difference in the quality. The QC has been equally crap over that time period. Remington can put out a good product, but they let their tooling get far too dull before they change out. It's really a crap shoot. Try and get a good look at the chamber, and pick the better one.

The very first upgrade you should make is the trigger. Please do yourself and everyone around you a favor and get an aftermarket trigger.
I agree (I have had - still have - a lot of Rem 700s).
I don't buy them any more, because where I live, they really aren't worth it.
Even 15 years ago, they were and still are extremely variable (see below).

As a recommendation for general purpose, but accurate shooting, out of the box I'd buy a Tikka (again) in a heartbeat.

The Remington you buy is really a lottery. You might get one that shoots lights out. Maybe so-so. Sometimes rubbish.
I had one VLS in .243 (bought around 1997) that had a chamber cut in a bend, so that an extracted case looked like a banana.
I had one 700P, that I had trued, tuned and new chamber cut and barrel set back. It only ever shot about 0.8 on a (really) good day.
One day, after another disappointing range visit, I just realised that it had a $15 barrel on it, and was never going to shoot.
Replaced the barrel and it now puts them all easily inside half inch, many times one hole.
A friend took the barrel and lapped it (last 6" had some issue inside the barrel).
And now that barrel shoots about 1/2 inch as well on his rifle.

If you are happy with 1 MOA, then a decent 5R might work for you (from what I've heard), unless you lose at the lottery.
If you want to "tinker" with it, then I think it's a waste unless you have a lathe to true them up.
Lots of good gunsmiths in US, I suggest you'll need one to true the action for you.
Then you'll want to get decent barrel if yours is so-so.
Some barrels are ok, most are average or worse. 5R might be better (no personal experience).
Of course, if you are happy with 0.8-1.0" then a trigger and chassis might satisfy you.

I'm not happy with 1MOA, so I'd never get a Rem again.
And I don't want to go through the gunsmithing cycles again.
I have a number of trued Rems (even one sleeved) which shoot great.
But they are only really Rems in name only.
So, unless you have to budget your upgrades out over time, I would not buy one of these.
I would get an action, have it trued, and then buy a barrel, trigger and chassis (KRG are good).
If you have a bit more money, I would buy a custom Rem compatible action and build it off that.

Just my approach.
Farmer.

Reactions: roggom
Wow, this thread really blew up. I appreciate and enjoy all the responses, including the negative ones.

Don't be afraid of Remington’s, remember where you are. You are among the most discriminating gun owners anywhere and most with very expensive top of the line weapons. Here you come getting started closer to the other end of the spectrum and thus the disconnect. My first rifle was a Remington 700 SPS in .308. It shot well for a $600 rifle, better than I could at the time. It wasn’t built to be a precision shooting laser but it would shoot 10 rounds under an inch!

Thank you, I agree with this. I'm usually posting in I.T. Forums, and we deal with the same bias. Someone who runs a corporation should not be giving advice to an I.T. person at a company of 75 people.

I'm not sure what research you did to arrive at the conclusion you need a 700 versus a clone.

So I made a list of requirements and then picked the 700 based on that list. I'll admit #1a on that list is/was... what price point is just going to make me frustrated (not angry) if I turn it into scrap metal? #1b was... what platform has a LOT of aftermarket parts READILY available for CHEAP. Someone mentioned that this design has been around forever. It has, there is stuff all over. I would agree there are some better-priced/better-performing platforms straight out of the box available... but the second I go to buy something, I'm going to blow any money I saved (and then some) in a few parts.

Knocking out a couple of pins and changing a trigger is not much of a learning experience.

That's like telling a Mom her baby taking steps while she holds his hands isn't really walking... maybe not... but dude... I'm just getting started. Having the thing apart and cleaning it is going to be a learning experience, let alone changing something out.

Reactions: Thecelt
if there's nothing wrong with the rifle, why is it for sale? But then I'm not much of a horse trader.

In my area, there seems to be two extremes right now for gun sales and nothing in between:
  • OMG, I lost my job and have no savings, here, please give me some money for this gun.

• OMG, people are paying how much for guns because they fear the apocalypse is happening and they didn't prep? How much will you give me for ...random gun that's not very important to me...??? Double book value? OK! Sold!

I apologize for the new account new-b question... but I am looking to get a Remmington 700. There are a couple of reasons... I'll spare you them but I've done my research and I'm confident it's the right choice.

There are two options available that look good. My question is, one is clearly newer than the other, as the barrel has a QR code stamped on it. Both of the rifles appear to be in hardly used condition, with a few minor marks and nothing else. Neither has glass (I already have a scope so this is fine). The newer one is $25 more. Which should I go for? My initial reaction was newer is better, but, there seem to be various internet posts (including on here) of: "I've shot 700s my whole life and the new ones suck...". Is this just because they haven't been "tuned" yet? Of note, one of the reasons I want a 700 is because I want something I can take apart and put back together and tune myself, so having a rifle that's already done isn't necessarily a good thing. That being said, I don't want something that's going to make it the struggle bus to get right.
Why are you asking??? You already know the answer.! I dont say that to be sarcastic..The newer ones are not as good.And if the barrel is shot out in the old one you can Either Rebarrel or Buy a new Barrel...Whats $25Bucks? A box of good ammo..barely.
The reason there are so many Remington 700 Clones is because they are really nice..Immitation is the truest for of Flattery..
I will only add this..I have a Remington 700 PCR in 6.5 Creedmoor...I also have a Tikka T3X both have good glass on them.One has an Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56...The other has a Valdada Texas Raider and a Seekins Precision with Primary Arms PLX 6-30x56. And at first i was more than a bit disappointed in my Remington.It was pretty erratic in break in.But after that it now outshoot the other with a 3/16th group at 200 yards. Ive always shot a Remington 700 ADL & BDL 270 and 7mm Rem. Mag Best of luck to you.

Super glad I found this thread, I'm in a similar situation getting into long range but deciding a base to build from has been painful. I'm gonna take another look at Bergara to begin with. I want a good base to upgrade on as I get better

Well a little bit of dead horse here. but even the new CEO of Remington admits the company was putting out low quality products for a bit. His plan is to focus on quality in fewer lines of products, and cut ones that are not needed at the time. Article is from the current Rifle Shooter mag, not posting the entire thing as for copyright. Ill pull the pic if it is not in compliance.

remington art (1).jpg