• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Question

usngoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2008
HI
Gents,

Have recently moved to Hawaii and saw a 700 LTR in 308 in 20" going for 1200 bones today. Actually had both 223 and 308 on the shelf. I thought this price was a little steep but with a quick check on gunbroker it looks to be right around the asking price of many others. My question is has this rifle replaced the SPS 20 incher? Aside from the fluted barrel and a different stock what are the differences between these rifles? Alrighty thanks again

The Goat

Re: Remington 700 Question

Aside from a different barrel and a different stock (which is a LOT) there isn't a difference. Cept for maybe the finish I believe the LTR has a slightly more durable finish...

I bought mine a few years ago and only paid 900 for it but stuff has gone up lately... LTR is a great rifle for the money!

Is the difference in the barrel only the fluting? Same twist rate? So the tactical SPS 20 is still around than? Think I may have to take the plunge and start looking for some glass.

the sps is alot cheaper and just as accurate. the fluting and the stock which makes up alot of the cost are the diff in the gun. stock is way more expensive and do not know how much the fluting cost but it definately does add cost. there are a couple of threads on ar15 in the precision rifle catagory on the sps right now if you want to compare for accuracy.

I bought mine a year ago for 950. The .308 LTR is a 12" twist the stock to me has a good fell, may want to add a adjustable cheek piece. I built my cheek up with form and tape works just fine for me. The rifle will be capable of MOA shooting. Mine shoots .5 moa at one hundred yards with FGMM and Hornady match ammo.

Do some searching on here and you will find more info on the LTR.

You sure it was an LTR and not a XCR tactical? Same fluting, diff stock, diff trigger

Yes I'm sure it was the LTR. The shop stated to me the LTR rifles came out of the custom shop. If it's not correct me just stating what I was told. The rifle shoots great anyhow.

The XCR line of rifles are good shooters also from the few guys at the range at have them. If I were to be looking at a rifle buy right now the XCR with the longer than 20" barrel I think it's a (26") barrel would be looked at real hard. I say this cause I shoot at 1000k and the LTR's 20" tube will not push the 168's out that far. I reload so not as much of a big deal for me though.

Who has LTRs in stock?

The Hide just found a AR-10 for me.

Now how about an LTR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I'm sure it was the LTR. The shop stated to me the LTR rifles came out of the custom shop. If it's not correct me just stating what I was told. The rifle shoots great anyhow.
</div></div>

While some LTR's may come out of the custom shop for special runs, it is not typically out of the custom shop.

that being said, mine shoots great.

Just buy a SPS Tactical. $600 shipped to your FFL and shoots just as good. You'll have enough money left over to go towards optics, nicer stock, ammo, etc.

FYI I'm an FFL. I can get LTR's in .308 for $950 plus shipping to your FFL new and SPS Tacticals in .308 or .223 for $620 plus shipping to your FFL. I hope this helps.