• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 rebarreling question...

InsidetheStorm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Look behind you...
I recently rebarreled my Remington 700 from .223 to 308. New factory bottom metal, magazine, barrel, bolt, ect. I took it out to test it today, fired just fine, but then as I went to chamber the next round from the magazine, huh? Bolt over jam! Little wiggling, bolt kept slipping over the case head, but the round finally chambered, bang, and then same problem. Did I miss a step? I used a .308 follower, but I didnt mess with the feed lips. Rounds load fine into the magazine, but from the mag to the chamber, no good. Thanks!

Re: Remington 700 rebarreling question...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocEd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Was thr rifle bedded when all this work was done? New stock?</div></div>

Actually, no. I got a factory synthetic stock off of ebay, figured I'd get a McM when $$ permits. Would a Badger DBM help here? I didn't want to blow a bunch of money before I was sure that this thing was actually gonna work. Is there a difference in feed lip dimensions between .223 and .308? I thought a short action was a short action.

Feed rails are different, Here are some pics for comparison. I am no expert in this area, just trying to help.

dsc05861y.jpg

dsc05864fd.jpg

Judging by looks... it looks like the 308 is relieved further back towards the rear, to allow the round to pop up sooner. anyone have any advice on how to fix this? or should I just go with the Badger DBM. Would that eve work with the rails like that?

Thanks for all the help!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InsidetheStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Judging by looks... it looks like the 308 is relieved further back towards the rear, to allow the round to pop up sooner. anyone have any advice on how to fix this? or should I just go with the Badger DBM. Would that eve work with the rails like that?

Thanks for all the help!</div></div>

Most .223's have a short magazine block at the rear of the follower (which is shorter than .308 follower) Get the block and follower and it will solve your problems.

The badger DBM system in .223 would solve your problem.

Sandwarrior he went from 223 to 308 block not a help. Welcome to The Great State Of Idaho.

The feed rails are different on a .223 action versus a .308 action. Sometimes a 308 will feed from a 223 but most times they will not and will need modified. Chances are your action will need modified to feed correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The feed rails are different on a .223 action versus a .308 action. Sometimes a 308 will feed from a 223 but most times they will not and will need modified. Chances are your action will need modified to feed correctly.</div></div>

Hmmm... does anyone know what the specs are for this job? I have the skills and tools, just need the measurements. My only other Remmy is a 300WM so thats no help.

Got it... took about .015 out of the rails, and beveled the underside of the rails. Perfect function, every time.