• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 receiver/action factory serial numbers and dates

duckklr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2022
Moraga, CA 94556
Remington 700 (both ADL and BDL models) receiver/actions were produced starting in 1962 with serial number 1000 and ran to serial number 387347 in November of 1968. The barrels with their own date codes told the actual date of firearm assembly or close-to date prior to shipping.
These early rifles had a "stripper clip" charging cut-out in the top-back of the receiver feed/ejection port, a "tombstone shaped" safety, and many if not all were bored and tapped for a peep-sight on the back left side of the receiver. Some prepped for peep-sights even had the stock cut-out for the site from the factory but were then filled back in with a glued-in-place piece of walnut. Some stocks came with blackened/checkered aluminum butt plates and I believe that the 7mm mag came with a Remington factory rubber butt plate (at some point). (Some of these hardware details are my observations from my collection rifles with action numbers of 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8-digits.) The barrels with their own date codes told the actual date of firearm assembly or close-to date prior to shipping.
In November of 1968 receiver production (minus the charger cut-out, tombstone safety, aluminum butt, and peep-sight drill and tap) started with serial number 6200000 and ran to serial number 6899999 in August of 1975. Starting in August of 1975 the letter "A" was added preceding the serial numbers and lasted until January of 1980. "B" became the first letter of the serial number starting in January of 1980 and ran until November of 1987. "C" started serial numbers from November 1987 onward. The ADL model was discontinued in 2005.
The dates and related numbers came from "The Remington 700" book by John F. Lacy, October 1, 1989, ISBN-10 0962230308 and ISBN-13 978-0962230301. These book is quite rare and sells now for over $600.
Feel free to add and/or argue, this info is hard to come-by and all of your personal experiences and observation will only help clarify the issue.-duckklr