• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 scope base mounting point stripped?

mildotdave

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
I just received a remington model 700 sa that has the front most mounting point stripped out. I installed a Leupold two piece base and the rear screw is tight. I put some locktite on and it seems to be holding fine after about 20 rounds. Would you guys leave it alone or have it repaired? What can they do to repair it?

Re: Remington 700 scope base mounting point stripped?

Brownells 800-741-0015 has special "ass saver" screws that are slightly oversized to save retapping. Call and ask for tech dept to get part #.
You didn't mention the caliber, but if it more than a 308 I would consider redrilling and retapping all holes to 8-40 (mount holes need to be opened up as well) and put everything together with red loctite (a propane torch will allow future screw removal w/o damage if necessary). Red loctite with standard screw holes has help up for 100s of shots on my 375 H&H and 400 H&H.

Re: Remington 700 scope base mounting point stripped?

Helicoil it...
DSC01197.jpg

jk
laugh.gif

Oh, you don't need a propane torch to heat up and remove red loctite, a soldering iron held on the screw works just fine.