• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Short Action Bolt handle failure?!?!?

doninreno

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2018
I experienced a bolt handled that apparently just plopped of of a Rem 700 that is a 6mmBR. The bollt was a tad stiff on closing and that isn't horribly unusual. I shot he round and when I went to lift the bolt handle it was a bit more than a "tad" stiff, but it came up with not too much grunting on my part, so I tried to move the bolt rearward to extract and then eject the spent case. It wouldn't budge rearward with normal pressure, so I pulled harder. No dice. I then gave it a whack or two with my hand, but I'm no super hero so that didn't work either. Even though I have personally watched various shooters (and then later hear from more people that had seen it, too) HAMMER the snot out of a bolt handle trying to get it open...had it open and eject the stuck round and then went on shooting as if nothing had happened. No harm, no fouls, I guesso_O...no broken anything) We.ll, I'm not one to use excessive force like a hammer, so I tilted the muzzle skyward and stuck a cleaning rod down into the case....gave it a few taps and that produced NOTHING. So, my next move wast to pull the rod out of the muzzle about 5 or 6 inches and drop it back into the case at which time the bold moved rearward, extracted and ejected the case, BUT when the bold abruptly stopped its rearward (now downward) movement when the bolt stop did its job and stopped it, the bolt HANDLE just kept on moving---in other words, it just fell right off! Pretty much astound me and the several people that had gathered around to see what the problem was ( I was at a club match so there were plenty of experience shooters standing around while they waited for their relay's turn).

OK...now what? We wondered if Remington would fix it, or what? Anyone encountered a handle falling/pulling off of a bolt like this without some gorilla using a hand sledge in it? What do you all think I can/should/could do to get this rectified?

For now, I'm going to probably use a PT & G bolt from another short action rem so I can shoot in the next few match, but I DAMNED WELL want to get that bolt fixed? Any ideas or recommendations?

Reactions: camocorvette
Plus 3 on send it to LRI.

It will come back beautiful.

Now, if you really want to be slick, send him the action to blueprint. They are acknowledged experts at trying up 700 action.

Cheers

1680404122942.jpeg

Yep, it was a known issue for years. Didn't happen to all of them, but always a possibility. Good to see remington staying consistent..

I recommend LRI as well for at a minimum a time and tig. Send in the action and Bolt.

Reactions: Baron23 and jb0311
I experienced a bolt handled that apparently just plopped of of a Rem 700 that is a 6mmBR. The bollt was a tad stiff on closing and that isn't horribly unusual. I shot he round and when I went to lift the bolt handle it was a bit more than a "tad" stiff, but it came up with not too much grunting on my part, so I tried to move the bolt rearward to extract and then eject the spent case. It wouldn't budge rearward with normal pressure, so I pulled harder. No dice. I then gave it a whack or two with my hand, but I'm no super hero so that didn't work either. Even though I have personally watched various shooters (and then later hear from more people that had seen it, too) HAMMER the snot out of a bolt handle trying to get it open...had it open and eject the stuck round and then went on shooting as if nothing had happened. No harm, no fouls, I guesso_O...no broken anything) We.ll, I'm not one to use excessive force like a hammer, so I tilted the muzzle skyward and stuck a cleaning rod down into the case....gave it a few taps and that produced NOTHING. So, my next move wast to pull the rod out of the muzzle about 5 or 6 inches and drop it back into the case at which time the bold moved rearward, extracted and ejected the case, BUT when the bold abruptly stopped its rearward (now downward) movement when the bolt stop did its job and stopped it, the bolt HANDLE just kept on moving---in other words, it just fell right off! Pretty much astound me and the several people that had gathered around to see what the problem was ( I was at a club match so there were plenty of experience shooters standing around while they waited for their relay's turn).

OK...now what? We wondered if Remington would fix it, or what? Anyone encountered a handle falling/pulling off of a bolt like this without some gorilla using a hand sledge in it? What do you all think I can/should/could do to get this rectified?

For now, I'm going to probably use a PT & G bolt from another short action rem so I can shoot in the next few match, but I DAMNED WELL want to get that bolt fixed? Any ideas or recommendations?
You're going to check headspace when you use that other bolt, right?

Reactions: camocorvette
Similar to the 'shear pin" on an old outboard motor. Good it sheared off, probably kept you from hurting yourself. An engineered safety feature.