• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 Short Action Bolt Mod

Airmanshortstuff

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2009
I was told that there used to be a guy on this forum or associated with this site by the name of Jeff Hicks from San Pierre, IN that did some amazing work on Remington 700 bolts. I am very interested in such a mod and his work looked top notch in the photos I saw and the guy who had the work done might as well given over his 1st born child as much praise as he was throwing around. Problem is, I can't find hide nor hair of this guy anywhere. Anyone know contact info for him, and if not, anyone know a good place to get a Remington 700 Short Action bolt modded with a Badger Ordnance Tactical Bolt handle and possibly some other mods?
Thanks for any help.

Re: Remington 700 Short Action Bolt Mod

What "amazing" work was this fella said to do to a bolt??

Their are some awsome smiths here on tis bolad that do Rem 700 bolt work

Well I'm sure it's not anything outside the realm of possibility for any other smiths. Just haven't seen any work from other smiths. Do you have any recommendations?

Jess Hicks worked at/owned HD Rifles.

He's not around anymore because he did terible business. Lied to me 10x, was several months overdue on my rifle build, and headspaced it wrong. It was a 338LM, with excessive headspace.

He didnt do anything special. People on here can do the same thing.

Check out my site. If I cant do it, there are people on here I can recommend.

If it's the 3-screw mod, I recommend against it.

-matt

ETA: That wasn't in reference to AZ Precision, but in reference to the bolt mods done by HD Rifles.

Jeff Hicks screwed over a lot of members here. Stay away....far away !

I was wondering if you can Cerakote barrels as well (if it's possible) and if so would i just send the whole gun? I'm definately interested in a badger ordnance handle and cerakote for the bolt and an aluminum firing pin, but i'd like to have the barrel/scope (and rings)/bolt (and trigger guards if possible) match each other.
Thanks so much,
Caleb Hale

PS. How does the active duty military discount work? do you need a phot ID or something as proof, if so i can send it with the gun.

thanks again

The tale of Jeff Hicks and Celt Rifles is a tragic one. At one time, Jeff could build an outstanding rifle however many years ago his quality started to go down and many, many members here lost money, rifles or both.

I, for one, would forget that name ever existed. There are many smiths on this site that can work on your bolt. There is nothing magic about it.

Personally, I would call GAP.