• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Short Action

scubapro187

Chew
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Helena, MT
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

What can I expect to pay for a factory new or used 700 action? Where is the best place to buy a new or used one with a 223 bolt face? There is one on Gunbroker for $380, is that a good price?

Re: Remington 700 Short Action

I have seen them for $400 to about $600 depending on set up. 380 doesnt sound too bad

Ya the Axeman is around I'll go check them out. Brady's Sportsman's surplus is the other place I think you're referring to and I already checked there.

Food for thought.

Price a 700 action, cost to have it trued/blueprinted/etc.(whatever you have in mind of doing to it), then price a custom action. If i'm not mistaken, price isn't that much different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Louis Phillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Food for thought.

Price a 700 action, cost to have it trued/blueprinted/etc.(whatever you have in mind of doing to it), then price a custom action. If i'm not mistaken, price isn't that much different. </div></div>

Ya that's true I'm not trying to get too out of hand with this build. I'm actually considering going with a Stevens action and changing the barrel and trigger out myself in order to save funds. The Remington started out in my head as a good idea but now after everything I'm looking at a min. of 1500.

i've came across several blued remington rifles in pawn shops for $300 or less.

most smiths won't charge enough to true an action to make the customs compete on an economy basis. this gets mentioned from time to time, but my smith includes truing with a barrel install at $250. add another $300 for the barrel, and you have a trued barreled action for about the price of a bare custom action. YMMV