• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS .308

mpd809

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
Western NC
I had a Remington 700 SPS V in .223 and decided it was not practical for what i wanted to use it for. Today I went and traded it for the Remington 700 SPS Tactical in a .308. I am still very new to long range shooting and wanted to know what would be a good ammo to use in this weapon for law enforcement use. I am getting ready to go to a Designated Marks Man class but I have to have everything with me when I go. If there is any advice anyone can give me on some other things I should try to get or need or a good ammo that will help Thanks.

Re: Remington 700 SPS .308

Federal GMM shoots excellent in mine. Have yet to try the TAP though, I can never find it in stock around here.

I've found nothing that won't hold MOA at 100 in mine, not even the cheepo soft point hunting stuff you can score for $12. Good luck.

If you can scor some FGMM 168 grains would be GTG for LEO purposes. I saw some in the for sale section. However, your department may not okay that because of liability issues. But for general practice and learning your stick, I think it is GTG.

Try some Remington Match 168 & 175. My rifle loves it.

I tried cheap o super x won't shoot good at all. any good quality ammo will shoot great. I hand load for my sps-v sub moa on my worst days. hand loading is the way to go if you want the best accuracy. also where you at in wnc as i live in asheville.

Agree that hand loading is the way to go, but his Department may object to that, unless it is a privately purchased rifle and is not for departmental use

if you dont handload, mine LOVES hornady A-max (165gr IIRC)--> haven't been able to afford to shoot since last December :-(

As far as ammunition is concerned I use hornady tap 168. You need to do testing on your own so that you know the equipments abilities, limitations. If your only going to have one round then shoot through some of the barriers you will encounter (i.e. glass,screens,car windows.)

as far as other equipment, a good sling, bipod, podlock, eagle stock pack, backpack (eberlstock), rear bag, the list goes on, and on.

Just out of curiosity will you be your teams first marksman?

Yes I work for a very small town and we don't have a SWAT or SERT team. My boss has oked me to do this as long as I pay for everything myself so yes I would be the first marks man. The other reason he is letting me is because I have Military training and Combat experience so he is not worried about me messing up too much lol. My county has a great SERT team but they may not always be around and this is a big county so if it breaks bad I want to be able to know and be able to at least try to stop something if need be. I have used long distance rifles in the army just messing around and did pretty good but I am waiting till I get certified first. I would like to do hand load since it is cheaper and since I am paying for everything but I think the state has a rule about using reloaded ammo but i am checking into that.

Bet your ass there is plenty of red tape around shooting reloaded ammo on duty.

Ofcourse with Federal brass, and 168 SMK handloads in a FGMM box, its hard to tell the difference
smile.gif

You have a great platform for killing perps, stay low on optics mag. power.

For LE, short range precision engagement, Ide say use the most accurate match OR hunting round available to you. You would be suprised how well some 150gr. Core-Lokt holds a group. Im sure its wound channel is better than an SMK.

As for Optics I got a Burris Xtreme Tactical Scope
3X-12X-50mm that I had turned over to my department after a court case from a weapon I took from a convicted felon. I have looked up the Scope and was told alot of LE Officers use it and that it should be ok for what I want. The scope was brand new only been on the rifle a few weeks when i got it.

Black Hills A-Max 168grn match.
Buy the best glass, base and rings you can afford.
My sps has done well by me -
Good luck

Keep your eyes open and your head down.

Federal Gold Metal Match 168gr is the LE Standard right now. It's what we shoot and is extremely accurate for factory ammo, however it's not the best for hunting two legged varmints. The 168gr HPBT has a tendency to over penetrate.

I am currently in the process of looking at the Hornady TAP line as a replacement to our FGMM. The 110gr TAP looks to be very promising for the close range engagements that are typically found in LE Sniping. Precision at 300 and in is what matters here.

Handloads are fine for classes, but your MONTHLY training needs to be with your duty load. If not, then you leave yourself open to criticism in court because you have not been training with the combination you used on duty.

Since you are effectively "self-supervising" you need to keep meticulous records of your weapon, maintenance and training. You should document EVERY cold bore shot you take in training in your databook. Every round fired through the rifle should be recorded. It may not make a difference in deciding if it was a good shoot or bad shoot, but it will show that you have attention to detail and dedication to training.

Talk to some of your local SERT/SWAT teams and see what they are doing for QUALIFICATION of their snipers. Come up with a reasonable qualification test and use it. Save the records and have them witnessed by a supervisor.

Mine didn't shoot well with factory match ammo. Wasn't 'till I started reloading that it really came into its own.

Also I swapped out that cheap hogue stock for a B&C light tactical. Made a big differance.

I apologize for hijacking the thread but wanted to chime in with personal experience with the 110 TAP as a duty round. We switched over from the federal gold match to the 110 TAP probably 2 years ago and have been shooting it monthly since of course. The only thing we have gotten get terminal results with so far is groundhogs,coyotes, etc. and they are devastating on them.

The accuracy in our factory and aftermarket 1/12 twist barrels is outstanding at 100, slightly better than gold match at 200, and seems to be consistant with gold match at 300. They are however extremely temp and weather sensitive. We use a 200 yard zero and with the old gold match didn't have to make as numerous adjustments as we now do. An example would be with the 200 yard zero set in mild 60 degree weather from the spring of the year we went to it, I have come down as many as 10 clicks (1/4 MOA adjustments) in the hotter months of the summer and up as many as 10-12 in the coldest of the winter months.

The wind has more severe effects on this round than the gold match which is understandable. We s a team find ourselves putting extra clicks in to compensate for the wind at all ranges we shoot at. As a team some of us have a real dissatisfied opinion about them, but the state being what it is we don't have a choice so most of us have tried to make the best of it.

Another aspect you might want to consider is the round seems to be a higher intensity round and I have been tracking throat erosion measurements on the team rifles. These rifles as could be expected are sometimes 20 years old or so, and some have been rebarrelled and some have not. The wear on the throats seems to have been slightly increased as compared to the gold match. I don't have enough rounds and time on them yet to be a little surer of that though. Something else to add to that is the fact that we clean usually every 20 rounds and have had training days were we shot one cleaned etc. to stretch out 20 rounds for the training period. We did gain valuable cold bore data this way, but after reading posts here on the hide for the last two months or so I think this may have contributed to the advanced wear.

The last thing I wanted to comment on is one of the things we learned by cleaning ever round for a bit was these are some very dirty rounds. Firing one round would result in cleaning as much as firing a full twenty depnding on what kind of barrel the individual had on his rifle.

Again I apologize for hijacking the thread but thought this might be pertinent to the OP and lonewolfs post. I also wanted to apologize for such a long first post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticalrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but after reading posts here on the hide for the last two months or so I think this may have contributed to the advanced wear.</div></div>I know what you mean: reading this Site wears on my rifles more than shooting them does
laugh.gif

Oh, and Welcome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam Hail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black Hills A-Max 168grn match.
Buy the best glass, base and rings you can afford.
My sps has done well by me -
Good luck

Keep your eyes open and your head down. </div></div>

Thats the load I use most of the time. I also bought some police TAP with the same bullet that is slightly more accurate. AMAX has great terminal ballistics and accuracy.

Thanks fellas, I have been lurking here for a while and finally decided to post. Reading the info on this site DOES wear on my rifle and my wallet.

Thanks guys for all the info I didn't know what I was getting into when I volunteered to start into the long range shooting for LE. Its hard when you work for a place a town that does not like anything that looks aggresive and had to clear it with them they really do not like the word Sniper so I used Designated Marksman and they oked it but they still will not pay for any of it. I have been reading alot of post where people removed the stock that comes with the rifle. Any idea on something not too exspensive i could switch it out for that might help with accuracy. I was thinking about the Knoxx Ind. Axiom U/L Rifle Stock made by Blackhawk.

Just a thought here, since I have no hands-on experience with the Knoxx stock, but if your town doesn't like anything "too aggressive looking," I would shy away from the Knoxx. I would think anything that looks like the same kind of rifle most hunters use would serve you better. Are you in groundhog country (Western NC?) - plenty of heavy barreled, synthetic-stocked varmint rifles out there.

That being the case, and since this is on your own dime, look at Bell & Carlson's newest designs. They feature aluminum bedding blocks and come in some "spiderweb" finishes that in a grey or tan or olive, do not scream "tactical."

A lot of local policing is public relations. If you need to stay "stealthy" then just be mindful of appearances. Purely a suggestion.

Just paint the rifle pink, I mean, a pink rifle never hurt anybody, right?

As far as the stock, you can find B&C medlist used on here or new for a few hundred and make a big difference. Also look for a PSS take off or a 5R take off stock for sale in the FS sections.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPD806</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any idea on something not too exspensive i could switch it out for that might help with accuracy. I was thinking about the Knoxx Ind. Axiom U/L Rifle Stock made by Blackhawk. </div></div>

I suggest a H&S Precision "take off" from a LTR or 700P or a Bell & Carlson Light Tactical. I prefer the Light Tactical and it doesn't look "too tactical". In fact after spray bombing it, it looks like another hunting stick.

SPSV_1243.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticalrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but after reading posts here on the hide for the last two months or so I think this may have contributed to the advanced wear.</div></div>I know what you mean: reading this Site wears on my rifles more than shooting them does
laugh.gif

Oh, and Welcome! </div></div>

The only thing of mine this website wears on is my wallet. This website has literally cost me a small fortune. Here's my SPS tactical in .308. I absolutely love this rifle. Up until this point I've been able to consistently hold just under an MOA at 600 yards. I just finished Devcon bedding it and I can't wait to see what it will do now. The only thing I'd change on this rifle is the stock; not because there's anything wrong with the B&C, for the price a B&C is impossible to beat. I just love McMillan stocks and want one so bad. I just can't bring myslef to pay $700+ for a stock. I have an ST-10 that should be arriving in the next month or so. Mil/Mil, I can't wait.

S1052803.jpg

S1052804.jpg

Here's the specs:

Remington 700 Sps Tactical .308
B&C A2 Medalist Tactical Stock
EGW 20 MOA Base
Leupold MKIV Rings
Leupold MKIV M1 (loaner, ST-10 on the Way)
Harris BRM-S Bipod w/ KWM Pod Loc
CDI Precision DBM w/ 10 rd mag
Bedden in Devcon
X-Mark trigger set @ 2.5 lbs.

The rifle has the original x-mark pro trigger. I know a lot of guys have had incosistency problems with the x-mark pro. Well, I did too, I would set it at 2.5 lbs, go to the range, shoot it, come back and check it and it would be anywhere from 3-3.5 lbs. I was going to replace it with a Timeny, and I was bitching about it to my friend Mitch. Well, he has forgotten more about guns then I ever knew, and he told me just to put some clear nail polish on the adjustment screw and it would stop moving around. Well, I did, and have had no problems with the X-mark since. I check it after every range session, and it is consistently 2.5 lbs exactly now. The day I have problems with it again, the Timeny is only $100 away. But for now, it works great, so I'm keeping it.

Lone Wolf, how do you like that shooting mat? I have the same exact one, and love, love, love it. I love the pocket and the pouches and the pen holders. I keep my Mildot Master, a small log book, an extra bolt head retainer for my Savage and a bunch of tools in there. That shooting mat is the best kept secret in firearms accessories.

Just a thought where is a good place to buy a full replacement bolt so I can pick the bolt knob and keep the factory one for a back up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the wings and the thickness are perfect for wet/muddy/frozen ground. </div></div>

Sounds like music to my ears. I can't see the picture on the work computer, which mat are you using?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPD806</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a thought where is a good place to buy a full replacement bolt so I can pick the bolt knob and keep the factory one for a back up. </div></div>

Getting a "drop n" bolt will be tough. You can have one made up by a good smith as the bolt parts are avaialable now. Any bolt you buy off somebody may or may not cause concern for the headspace issue. Alternatively your only choice is to send it to Remington and tell them you lost the bolt.

I've never needed another bolt for any of my rifles and all I have ever fixed on a Remington was the extractor that went south on a heavily shot rifle I borrowed at a MO class I was attending.

Greg L.

I think I have found the stock i am going to get seems like alot of people like it and its pretty good on price. H-S Precision Pro-Series Stock Remington 700 BDL Short Action Police Sniper Varmint Barrel Channel Synthetic Black its on Midway USA for $284.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticalrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but after reading posts here on the hide for the last two months or so I think this may have contributed to the advanced wear.</div></div>I know what you mean: reading this Site wears on my rifles more than shooting them does
laugh.gif

The only thing of mine this website wears on is my wallet. This website has literally cost me a small fortune. Here's my SPS tactical in .308. I absolutely love this rifle. Up until this point I've been able to consistently hold just under an MOA at 600 yards. I just finished Devcon bedding it and I can't wait to see what it will do now. The only thing I'd change on this rifle is the stock; not because there's anything wrong with the B&C, for the price a B&C is impossible to beat. I just love McMillan stocks and want one so bad. I just can't bring myslef to pay $700+ for a stock. I have an ST-10 that should be arriving in the next month or so. Mil/Mil, I can't wait.

S1052803.jpg

S1052804.jpg

Here's the specs:

EGW 20 MOA Base
Leupold MKIV Rings
Bedden in Devcon

The rifle has the original x-mark pro trigger. I know a lot of guys have had incosistency problems with the x-mark pro. Well, I did too, I would set it at 2.5 lbs, go to the range, shoot it, come back and check it and it would be anywhere from 3-3.5 lbs. I was going to replace it with a Timeny, and I was bitching about it to my friend Mitch. Well, he has forgotten more about guns then I ever knew, and he told me just to put some clear nail polish on the adjustment screw and it would stop moving around. Well, I did, and have had no problems with the X-mark since. I check it after every range session, and it is consistently 2.5 lbs exactly now. The day I have problems with it again, the Timeny is only $100 away. But for now, it works great, so I'm keeping it.

</div></div>

what did yours cost you total? I'm sitting on a $1200 budget

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BePrepared</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tacticalrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...but after reading posts here on the hide for the last two months or so I think this may have contributed to the advanced wear.</div></div>I know what you mean: reading this Site wears on my rifles more than shooting them does
laugh.gif

S1052803.jpg

S1052804.jpg

Here's the specs:

EGW 20 MOA Base
Leupold MKIV Rings
Bedden in Devcon

</div></div>

what did yours cost you total? I'm sitting on a $1200 budget </div></div>

Let me try and break this down for you. Some of this will be guessing, but ballpark.

Base rifle: $525
Scope (st10) $1200
EGW Base $60 ??
Leupold MK IV Rings $125
B&C Stock $230
Bipod $125
Pod loc $20 ??
Tab Sling $50 ??
CDI Bottom metal/mag $349
Bedding $35 + a lot of time

I dunno, add all that up. Might be within your budget not counting the glass. $1200 is a pretty meager budget if you're including the glass in that. I would look at the Super Sniper or Bushnell elite series for bargain glass.

I would also take a gander at the Choate Tactical Stocks at combat stocks for 159.00 bones. Very nice budjeted stock.

thanks a lot guys. I'm not including the scope in that... i'm looking for 1200 for the gun itself... stock, bipod, scope base

I am done got everything i want on it for now god this hobby is expensive lol

i got the hs presision stock i ended up getting it for free it was on a weapon i had taken from a felon and had it turned over to me and set up nice with it.

101_1973.jpg

It's my SPS .308 with an McM A1-3 for example

25-11-08_1630.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ITUZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's my SPS .308 with an McM A1-3 for example

25-11-08_1630.jpg
</div></div>

Dude, that's seriously pimped out. That old school sling's gotta go, though. You need to upgrade to a TAB sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPD806</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i ended up getting it for free it was on a weapon i had taken from a felon and had it turned over to me</div></div>

Soooooo....basically, you stole it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You need to upgrade to a TAB sling. </div></div>
Thanks bro , but I went with a TIS USMC Contract 1°batch
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPD806</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i got the hs presision stock i ended up getting it for free it was on a weapon i had taken from a felon and had it turned over to me and set up nice with it.</div></div>

Too bad that's not more accessible. It could almost make this an affordable hobby to have.

If thats how you want to say it, I went through all the right stuff I took a rifle that this scope was on from convicted felon I arrested for drinking and driving and possession of drugs. The guy lost the court case so I had the weapons turned over to my department for our use and now I am using it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPD806</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If thats how you want to say it, I went through all the right stuff I took a rifle that this scope was on from convicted felon I arrested for drinking and driving and possession of drugs. The guy lost the court case so I had the weapons turned over to my department for our use and now I am using it. </div></div>

OK well, thanks for clarifying that.

If you take property from a criminal it isn't stealing...That is great news