• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 sps tac or savage 10fp

skydive91

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
Hey guys new to the forums here and you all seem very knowledgeable so. I have been doing alot of research and cant decide between the to just wondering if any can tell me about the accuracy of both performance etc.

PS. with a .308 in a 20" barrel how far can you reach out effectivly for shooting paper?

Re: Remington 700 sps tac or savage 10fp

SPS Tactical.

1000 yards.

Use the search function and welcome to the hide.
laugh.gif

20" is plenty for a 308 to 1000yds. Don't sweat that.

I like remington's (though I mostly buy custom actions these days.) They're like the chevy small block of rifle actions. It will almost certainly run pretty good out of the box but you can build it up as much as you want with a billion different available parts, and every gunsmith out there knows how to work on them.

Seems like every class I go to there's one guy there with a Savage 10. That always seems to be the guy who has trouble with his gun. There are guys here who claim love them, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you why.

Accuracy differences are going to come down to the individual rifles. Any given Savage or any given Remington could shoot lights out or could shoot like a horse pissing. But most likely you'll end up with one that can manage MOA or better with one of the mainline match ammos (FGGM, Black Hill, H-TAP, etc)

Stock on the SPS is crap, but usable if you're short on pennnies. Easy enough to save up and get a B&C stock to swap into down the line. After that you need to start spending enough money on ammo that the cost of the upgrades are immaterial before you'll need the upgrades to advance your skills.

Welcome to the hide, fill out your profile and you might find someone local to you who's willing to help you out.

both will reach out and touch the target effectively in the right hands(600-800 yards). although a .308 could reach effectively further, anything past that distance would be better suited with a different cartridge.

i'm a savage fan, but i'll try to be unbiased:

savage is surprisingly accurate, at a lower price. gives you more $ for extra accessories and ammo. savages are like the bastard child of the tactical world, but in my opinion will run and surpass most in the same class. this is the one i would pick.

the remington is great also, will have a higher resale if you ever decide to go that route, (not knocking "big green" but this is like a pair of designer jeans for the ego minded), the 700 probably has the better receiver, in case you want to do a custom build later, it comes in handy. it is a tried and true rifle in wartime and in peacetime.

I've got an SPS-T and love it. The 700 action is a phenomenal piece of work. Its been around since the 60's and is the basis for a number of Agencies's SWS including Marine Corps and US Army.
The SPS-T is a very good out of the box set up. It is a very handy rifle that balances well. The finish is good, the stock is mediocre but decent. Not so sure on the trigger yet but it does the job.
I got to start breaking it in while I was home on leave and it was giving me 3/4 MOA at 100 yards using Prvi Partizan 168 HPBT. I know that it shoots better than I do right now but I'm rusty.
Buy the SPS-T, shoot it, learn it. Once you get proficient and want to start upgrading your parts will be there. Thats the beauty of the 700, its the 1911 of bolt guns. Every possible part is available for it.