• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 700 sps tactical aac-sd. good ammo?

andersonman22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
California
i just bought the remigton 700 sps tactical aac-sd. i've been reading alot of good things about it, but also how picky it is on the ammo it shoots.

any suggestions/experience on what will give me the best accuracy?

and i don't plan on getting a suppressor for a while, so sub sonic ammo isn't a priority. but if you know about good subsonic loads then feel free to educate me.

thanks.

Re: remington 700 sps tactical aac-sd. good ammo?

thanks.

ill have to see if they sell these in stores because i can no longer order ammunition online.
mad.gif

I have had excellent results from both my Rem 700 SPSs (a Varmint and a SS) in .308 Win with Federal Gold Medal Match, 168gr. My SPS SS has a 10" twist, like your AAC-SD so you should have no trouble stabilizing the 168gr. Fed GMM is available in many sporting goods stores.

FH

I'd probably step up to 175gr Sierra Match King bullets for 500 yards or even 190gr SMKs for distances greater than 600 yds. I have used 168gr SMKs in my M1As and M1 Garands out to 600 yards in military rifle matches. I load 175 SMKs or 178gr A-MAXs for distances longer than 300 yards.

If you're going to shoot a lot, you'll want to get into hand loading because you can both control costs and custom tailor your ammo to your rifle and use.

FH

corbon match 190's worked great in mine but a little to pricy so I switched to the 175's from southwest and they do almost as good.

I have tried several in mine. FGMM 168's weren't so great. A little over 3/4 MOA if I remember correctly. It really likes Superformance 178gr though. About 1/2 MOA. Strangely enough Federal's 180gr soft point shot pretty close to that too.

I have some FGMM 175's I'll try as soon as I get my scope issue straightened out. Maybe it'll be the one.

Btw, anything by PP I've tried has sucked.

hand loading eh? can you suggest some good reloading equipment? im still a newbie at all this rifle business, this is my first decent bolt action rifle besides an old mosin nagant.

alright thanks ill have to check those out.

btw when is part four coming out? very informative videos you got there, anxious to see the next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks.

ill have to see if they sell these in stores because i can no longer order ammunition online.
mad.gif
</div></div>

Really? I ordered and received ammo through an online store last month. Am I missing something?

oh my mistake, thats for handgun ammo. i had heard something about it earlier on this year and couldnt remember the specifics, but my lazy ass just did the research lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh my mistake, thats for handgun ammo. i had heard something about it earlier on this year and couldnt remember the specifics, but my lazy ass just did the research lol.</div></div>

Well, there was the thing with AB962 in the beginning of the year but it got tossed out because it was found to be unconstitutional. Not sure if they're trying to push for something similar...

+1 for FGMM 175's in the AAC-SD.

The only factory ammo mine has seen was the 168 grain federal gold medal match load. Shot reasonably well, ~.8" at 100. I do a fair bit of reloading and have been tinkering with loads for a while. I've had good luck with everything I've tried so far in this rifle. AMAX's (155 and 175 varieties) have both shot well. I got out and finally tried some 175 Sierra MatchKings today and was happy with the results from that bullet too.

Long story short, mine hasn't been overly picky. Feed it good ammo and you should have good results.

As far as reloading equipment, I use an old RCBS rock chucker press. I try and find one second hand if possible. That's how I came by mine and it has been fantastic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Huckelberry75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Subsonic: 12.2gn of Trailboss, cci-200, 220gn RN Sierra is running 1036 fps out of my AAC. </div></div>
Thats one I'll have to try out

OP
My AAC likes 168gr SMKs but does better with 175s moving at about 2500 fps. When I push the velocity much above that my groups start opening up. With the 168s I can get right around 2600 before that happens. As far as reloading goes, just don't go too cheap, you will get what you pay for.

I've got the PSS version of the 700 and have shot a number of different ammo throught that gun. The 168 gr FGMM, Hornady A-max, match, all shot about the same. Don't know what 100 yard groups would be as the shortest didtance I shoot is 200 which tend to be .75 to 1.25 CTC.

great stuff guys, im lovin the input here.

now im confident to get out there and get some 1/2 inch groups in on the paper.

gonna look into reloading once i have the money for it but thanks, for now ill just go with the good stuff thats out there.

btw whats your opinion on the best aftermarket stock for the money?

I put mine in a Bell and Carlson A-2. Now I wish I would have went with McMillan though. But at the time I thought there would be too much lead time for what I wanted.

On the other hand, after a few modifications to the B&C I'm almost happy with it.