• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 sps tactical accuracy?

tjassman84

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2013
Mission,South Dakota
I was wondering if anyone knows how the Remington 700 SPS tactical with the 16.5" barrel performs as far as accuracy? I want the little short bastard to throw my can on it and use as a pickup rifle. Any input would be much appreciated.

How accurate do you need a "pickup rifle" to be? And what position would you be shooting it from that you would be able to tell the difference between a gun that shot sub MOA in a sled @ 100yds and one that 2 MOA? When you say "pickup rifle", I imagine shooting off the side of the road and off-hand at some squirrels or empty soda cans.

I have a 700P in .223 that will shoots sub MOA, and I am sure the SPS would be capable of something very close if not the same as that in a sled or the hands of a capable shooter.

What I am trying to say is, I think you should just buy it!

I have the Rem 700 SPS in a 16.5" in .308 and it has failed to perform. I have used everything from 168 -220gr and it still groups about 1.5-2MOA and that is in a AICS Chassis. Personally I am moving to Ruger for my budget gun.

Reactions: Jack's Dad
Funny I just bought a 700 Sps 223 20" this week.
I wanted a inexpensive 223 bolt gun. Out of the box the rifle needs work. I know the rifle has the potential to be a hammer but the stock and the trigger eliminate that possibility.

Shot it day one and it was bipolar. It would stack 3 then would stack 2 more half inch from the first group.

Took it home and found that the end of the forearm was just touching the barrel and with a bipod on the sling stud it got worse.
I removed the stock in order to remove the offending material putting pressure on the barrel, that is when I found that the stocks recoil lug contact area has a small protrusion right in the center (mold injection point) that will keep the recoil lug from making full contact with the stock.

So I used a uber sharp chisel to remove the mold pimple from the recoil lug area, then I ground the end of the barrel channel to prevent contact with the barrel. I also took a socket and wrapped it with some fine sandpaper and cleaned up the front bedding block area.

Next was the trigger, after some mods the stock trigger is down to around 2.5 pounds.

I shot it today and It shot pretty good, 100 yard groups with random hand loads were .55 to .89 and I know it will do better but the stock still sucks as the forearm is a freaking wet noodle.

The cheapest laminate stock would be 100 times better than that POS hogue stock.
Just remember the twist is 1:9 so no heavy bullets.

Hmm. I’ll look into the barrel lug thing. I’ve taken the gun apart to look for similar things and haven’t notice anything. Thanks for the info.

SPS 223 factory 20" Here's 5 @ 430.
IMG_7072.PNG

Reactions: Jonthebennett
I have the Rem 700 SPS in a 16.5" in .308 and it has failed to perform. I have used everything from 168 -220gr and it still groups about 1.5-2MOA and that is in a AICS Chassis. Personally I am moving to Ruger for my budget gun.
You should post it in the px priced accordingly of course

I bought an sps tactical in 300 blackout some 6 years ago. I shot about 2-300 rounds of 220 grain subs through it. It has sat in the safe untouched for about 4 years now!! IIRC, it shot fair for what it was and what I was shooting. Nice and quiet though

You think people will buy it? Also I’m a new member so am I right in assuming that you post 100 times or pay $50 bucks to get access to the PX?

You think people will buy it? Also I’m a new member so am I right in assuming that you post 100 times or pay $50 bucks to get access to the PX?
If it was priced as a 2 moa rifle I'm sure someone would jump all over it. Not sure about new members posting in the px