• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 sps tactical barrel question

skydive91

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
I am pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger and get a remington 700 sps tactical in .308 but before I got ahead and get it I have one question. I know the barrel is supposed to be free floating but but very few are, if they are truly free floating how much will it effect the accuracy of my gun; and is there any way to fix it?

Re: Remington 700 sps tactical barrel question

Affects some an doesn't on others. Although I will eventually replace my stock I took mine new SPS out to try out some loads I worked up and was pleased with the results. Shot six groups with the largest being .847 and the smallest being .266" CTC at 100yds.

targetvarget.jpg

I've heard that you can take a dremel to the stock and make it free-floated.

Some times you can find a Craftsman Hand Grinder (a jumbo Dremel tool) and do nice things with them. They also look like a jumbo Dremel. I have three Dremels and use them on light stuff as they are not that heavy duty. Check ebay.
Brownells also has barrel channel tools for making the channel nice and round. Normally for wood but they should do nicely on plastic as well.

Rule of thumb on barrel floating: When it doubt float it out. Where non floating can really get hairy is when you attach a bipod that puts stresses on front of stock.

The stock on mine WAS free floating (you can test it with a dollar bill or similar paper) UNTIL you put pressure on the stock by using a bipod.

the stock flexes.

I got a manners stock and put the stock stock in in storage. I may use it for hunting as it is lighter.
rem700sps_tactical.jpg

Former Son-in-Law got a PSS .308 about a decade ago, and took it back within a day when he discovered it was contacting the channel on the left side. Within a week he had a brand new rifle that had a perfectly centered barrel from Remington. Screw the homesmithy approach on warrantee issues. If you don't get what you pay for, go back and demand it. This is one reason why I never buy anything bangworthy at any distance beyond eye-to-eye. That rifle would have never left the store in my hands with a badly floated barrel.

Greg

I picked one up as my first bolt gun and have the same problem. When shooting off a pack the end of the stock slightly touches the barrel. I have ordered a bipod and am anticipating having to remove some of the stock. When using the dremel tool would it be best to pull down slightly on the stock to remove the some of the material? Or would this cause a problem?

Save your pennys and get a take off HS or a Bell & Carlson, untile then just shoot what you got. Mine does just fine touching the stock.

I plan on getting another stock down the road. I just want to get a chance to try out a few different stocks before I choose one, and learn what I'm doing so I can make an edjucated purchase. There is only 100 documented rounds through the rifle so I have a long way to go.

For removing material in the barrel channel, I recommend going to the toolbox and finding a socket that is the diameter you want, then wrap it in sandpaper and go to town. I don't know how much of the rubberized material there is on the Hogue stock, but I was able enlarge the channel just fine and there was still plenty left.