• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Tactical

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
If you have seen my other thread for accurizing an M14, you will have noticed I'm trying to get a 'LE sniping rig' approved for my small police dept. I've gotten the permission to order a M14 through an army surplus program. The cost of the M14 is... 100 bucks...

From what I have been gathering, I'm not going to have much luck with a M14 to use it for law enforcement sniping (50-300 yards)...

so I've been looking at some inexpensive stock bolt actions that I could maybe convince my chief to get instead.

The Remington 700 SPS tactical seems to fit the bill. I see the stock is not the best and not a true free floater. and I will need an optic, rings, and mount base. (and bipod)

so I was just curious if you guys have any experience with a 700 SPS-T with the factory stock? what kind of accuracy are you guys getting? anything sub-moa will be fine with me.

I found an article on sniper central where they used federal match ammo and got sub half moa groups, which I would be very happy with,....

but I would love the semi platform, so I will be losing that for the sake of cost. (but getting a more precise rig)

the jury is still up. the M14s won't be coming in for another 2-3 months so....

I feel your pain, I too, work for a small department.
I'm here to tell you, it does not sound like you are going to get a tremendous amount of support.
My suggestion, set your minimum at the 700P, the savage LE series in an accustock, Tikka varminter etc...
They all cost around the same, they all have better stocks.
You're NOT going to be satisfied with the stock on the SPS tact.
Now, if you can convince him to buy off on the rifle AND a stock upgrade, then by all means, it should work well.

Accurizing an M14 isnt that hard and its not terrible expensive. Feel free to PM and I can get you the stuff at killer price.

I feel your pain, I too, work for a small department.
I'm here to tell you, it does not sound like you are going to get a tremendous amount of support.
My suggestion, set your minimum at the 700P, the savage LE series in an accustock, Tikka varminter etc...
They all cost around the same, they all have better stocks.
You're NOT going to be satisfied with the stock on the SPS tact.
Now, if you can convince him to buy off on the rifle AND a stock upgrade, then by all means, it should work well.

Gotcha.... Let me get this m14 I guess and see what I can do with some federal match ammo. From there if I can't hold a 1 moa, I will check out the Remy.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like you already have your answer, but wanted to agree with fdkay’s post. You would be able to get 1 moa or better with the tactical at 100y but it still would leave much to be desired. My dept has a 700 with the same type of stock (not the tactical though) and I am in the process of convincing them to switch stocks that will also accommodate our new pvs-27 rather than getting a mount for it that is 80 percent of the same cash...

I'll just repeat what other folks have said; the Remington 700 platform is GTG, but could use some upgrades.
I have a bone-stock Remington 700 Varmint. El-cheapo stock that came on it. Put on a weaver 20 MOA base, weaver tactical rings, and a Weaver 3-15x50 FFP scope. Harris bipod. Stock pack for better cheek weld. Maybe 1200 in the rig total.
926 rounds down the tube. Over that last 4-500 rounds, average of .78 MOA. I took it to Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio; 40% hit rate in a 25mph fast-shifting wind at 1000yds; I'd never shot beyond 200 before. 1st round hits with reliable tracking on everything out to 600 yds once I had reliable dope. When I started walking the rifle back and forth between distances, it was just hit after hit. Wind calls are new for me, so 700 yards got a bit trickier; only about 75% hit rate there.
I have 0 LE or Military experience. I can just speak as a hobby shooter. But, I can damn near clean the snipershide dot drill at 100, and it stays MOA in my amateur hands through 300. I'll see how she performs once I get a upgraded stock or chassis, but, as is, I'm doing just fine with it.

Food for thought.