• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS v. Remington 700 SPS Tactical?

evan_h

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
What is the big differences between the Remington 700 SPS and SPS Tactical rifle, beside the length of the barrel and the hogue stock in the .308 Cal?

Purpose would be used for deer hunting and trying to see how far I can group some shots on paper.

Would the 24 inch barrel on the SPS be able to group shots from a farther distance? (just referencing what I've been reading)

-Evan

Re: Remington 700 SPS v. Remington 700 SPS Tactical?

The barrels are the same I think, well besides the length. A 20" barrel is a great choice for versatility over the 26" SPS-V, and the Houge stock is head and shoulders over the crappy stock that comes with the SPS-V. Yes, you will give up a bit of velocity, but the 20"er is better in every other way.

Just my $.02,
P.B.Walsh

Get the 20"er, they're all shooters. Plus your not fighting with that long rifle in the stand.

the 24" barrel will have more velocity witch gives u less drop (and not by much)at longer ranges but i don't know if its any more accurate then the 20". i have a sps tactical and love it, groups hornady tap 168 in a dime size hole at 100 yards the stock sucks but other then that its a good gun for the $$. another thing a 20" barrel is really easy to get out of a box stand window hope this helps

Thanks for the advice guys!

Now, the reason I'm going with the Remington over the Savage (which was my first choice) was actually because I like the feel of the softer stock.

Am I crazy for this? What is the big reason for why so many people hate this stock? Maybe after shooting it, I'd change my view on it, who knows?

-Evan

I know it sounds strange but I like the Hogue stock too. Granted the Hogue may not be as stiff as some of the other synthetic stocks when shooting using the sling but I have never had any problems. Plus it's not the "in style, brand name, joe blow has one so I need one" item. Good thing everybody doesn't like the same thing or there wouldn't be enough of what everyone liked to go around would there?..lol.

I have a SPSV in .243 and I really like it. Shoots 1MOA at 100yrds no prob(5 shots). The 26" barrel really doesnt bother me much and I use this rifle when Im calling predators. Both are awesome rifles. I would change the stock on both of them tho so I didnt consider that a selling point for me and I can always cut and crown this barrel, it could use a brake anyway..lol

Re: Remington 700 SPS v. Remington 700 SPS Tactica

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Evan_H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the big differences between the Remington 700 SPS and SPS Tactical rifle, beside the length of the barrel and the hogue stock in the .308 Cal?

Purpose would be used for deer hunting and trying to see how far I can group some shots on paper.

Would the 24 inch barrel on the SPS be able to group shots from a farther distance? (just referencing what I've been reading)

-Evan </div></div>

Difference is... An SPS has a standard contour barrel and comes in quite a few chambering options. The SPS Tac is a 20" heavy bull contour. You have a choice of 223 Rem or 308 Win for chamberings. The SPS Tac uses the Hogue pillar bedded stock, regardless of chambering.

The Hogue stock needs work to be adequate. The standard tupperware Rem stock needs to be melted into toy soldiers for the younguns and replaced.

As a benchmark for velocity. My SPS Tac 223 20" puts a 55 grain Nosler BT. 24.5 gr Benchmark, CCI 400, Federal case and OAL 2.305 out the end @ 5 feet at an average of 3065 fps on a 55 degree about 1000 feet above sea level. That's a few hundred short of the Nosler #6 manual...

For bench and varmint hunting (the purpose of my Tac) I do not care for the ergonomics of the Hogue stock. No palm swell, the pistol grip is too far back and the comb is too low. It is usable for now but eventually I'll replace it with an HS or B&C...

Can someone give me a break down on the twist rate? And idiots guide?

SPS Tactical... 223 1:9... 308 1:12

SPS Varmint.... 223 1:12... 308 1:12

Everything but the data on the tactical is available via remington.com

If you are asking what twist rate technically is... It is the distance that it take for the bullet to make one revolution. IE, 1:9 would be 1 rotation in 9" of travel.

I actually liked the ergonomics of mu Hogue stock on my .308 SPS Tac. With an Eagle Stock pack - it was pretty comfy and the recoil was almost not an issue. I recetntly replaced it with an HS precision stock off a 5R and its completely different feel. Overall the new stock has picked up some noticeable accuracy, but because it doesn't have the soft but pad the Hogue does, its much more fatiguing after 50 rounds or so. The accuracy trade off of the HS Precision was worth the collarbone and shoulder soreness. That's what I have a hottub for.....

Reaper,

Knock off that hard pad and epoxy a Pachmayer decelerator on there. Much more pleasant to shoot.

I have the SPS-T in 308WIN. The 20 is a great barrel length for most applications. I go Coyote hunting and do alot of walking and if I see a dog the 20in will be great. I can throw the gun up easily, felt great breaking it in over the last week. I've used my M1A for both dogs and Elk with pretty dense timber. The 22in plus muzzle break adds a little bit too much length for up in the mountains. The SPS-T fills that niche for me. Great handling, great caliber, and the reliability of the 700 action. I've got a Leupold Mk2 3-9x40 with mildot glass on top so I'll be able to take it out to 500-600 decently (which is about the longest meadows up the Medicine Bow). The SPS-T is the way to go in my opinion.