• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308 in McMillan stock - Poor man's M40 clone?

Wayfaerer320

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
PA
I'd love to get a GAP M40 clone, but it's just way out of my price range.

My question is, if I buy a Remington SPS Varmint in .308, have the barrel cut to 24", and throw it in a McMillan precision stock like an A5, appearance wise, do I have an accurate M40 clone?

The M40 had a wood stock. I believe the SPS has the same contour as the M40.

The M40A1 had a heavier barrel, a Winchester floorplate that was modified, and a McM HTG stock.

The M40A3 had a heavier contour barrel, a Badger M5 bottom metal, and McM A4 stock with a saddle cheek piece.

The M40A5 has the same stock as the M40A3, Badger M5, same barrel, a Surfire brake and a few other additions.

No models of M40s had the A5 stock from McMillan.

Yeah it will look similar, but its not an M40 or the same stock. Why clone if you're not actually making it an accurate clone? Get what works best for YOU.

The M40 had a wood stock. I believe the SPS has the same contour as the M40.

The M40A1 had a heavier barrel, a Winchester floorplate that was modified, and a McM HTG stock.

The M40A3 had a heavier contour barrel, a Badger M5 bottom metal, and McM A4 stock with a saddle cheek piece.

The M40A5 has the same stock as the M40A3, Badger M5, same barrel, a Surfire brake and a few other additions.

No models of M40s had the A5 stock from McMillan.

Yeah it will look similar, but its not an M40 or the same stock. Why clone if you're not actually making it an accurate clone? Get what works best for YOU.

What I probably should have mentioned is that I like the profile of the M40 variants.

So, the M40A1-A5 has a heavier contour barrel than the SPS Varmint?

If you are looking to duplicate original m40 check out this: SC Rifleworks SCM40 Sniper Rifle.

The stock was made by Accurate Innovations. It is called their SCM40 stock, and goes for $849. I really want one of these stocks, just not enough money in the coffers right now.

Yes.

Is the contour attractive for some reason? Does it work better for you somehow? If not, then you need to reevaluate what you want to do with the rifle. Do you want a clone or a rifle that is the best tool for YOU?

If you want a clone, there's no other way to do it other than getting a clone built. If you want a rifle to shoot, buy the varmint and shoot it and find out what works and doesn't along the way.