• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I have seen one of these rifle fopr sale locally.
Is there anything wrong with these or are they just a basic entry-level rifle? From what I can find online it seems the stock is the main thing people don't like.
This is selling for $450.00. Since I would need eventually to find another stock would it be better to find a PSS or other similar rifle?

Jim

Re: Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308?

Depends on what you want it for. My SPS in .223 is my favorite ratwhacker, and is accurate. All I've done to it is thread the barrel and tweak the trigger a little. YMMV.

1911fan

I have one, fun rifle, actions a little rough but it is a very good entry level rifle. The stock needs to be changed out, but it does have some good heft to it.

Pretty decent deal at $450. Is it used or new?

I'd buy it, drop it in a new stock, and run with it. They're nice rifles. Here's my SPS Tac in a B&C Light Tactical stock.

rem700.jpg

I've got one in 300wsm, shoots great, but it has the ugliest stock I've ever seen. As a matter of fact I would really like to hear others opinions on which stock to put on it, and is there some literature on how to do it that they could recommend.

-Pat

It's used. The big question I have is whether it would be better to buy a different rifle with a better stock or this rifle and start changing things out.
I will just use it for fun at the range. Would the stock be good as is for casual shooting?
If so, how is that price?

Jim

The price is great if it hasn't been shot to death. It's at least a $100+ cheaper than I could get a new one for here in Cali. *Been checking ;-)*

-Pat

wel you can buy the sps for 450 and replace the stock....or pay more for the Tac/P/whatever....and replace the stock.

I bought mine for $550. That was the going price at the time.

I've got one and it shoots lights out. It is by far the most accurate factory rifle I have ever shot. I was shooting steel at 960 a couple weeks ago with 168 gold medal. I have mine bedded into the PSS stock that I got used here for like $200 and a timney trigger at 1.5 lbs.
308.jpg

I bought mine not long after they became available and it's had about 900rds through it now. It shoots under 1/2" with 168SMKs. I've tried it at 600 and got 4" out of it with Berger 155VLDs, but I'm not the best shot. I restocked it with a stock off of a 5r and added a Rifle Basix trigger. I've got about $1600 in it as you see it here.
gunpics039-1.jpg

I may go ahead and get it if it's definately worth building on.
I need to keep an eye out for a used PSS stock. Maybe someone will upgrade their's soon.

Jim

there's absolutley nothing wrong with them and they are a great place to start. I'm just into a SPS tac for the exact reason that I can actualy get aftermarket parts for it. As stated above, stocks come and go on here every week or so and good deals are found all the time. Also, in the future, the rifle is a great platform for a custom or true up job with a rebarrel and will then absolutly outshoot the shooter.

I would say go with it if your actualy interested.

I will talk to the seller later this week.
I used to have a remington 700 PSS but traded it for a Kimber Warrior. I don't have the opportunity to shoot long range matches, so this will be a just for fun gun. I can shoot up to 200 yards at my club's range, but anything further isn't available within a distance I can do.

Jim

I'd buy it and keep an eye out for a stock on here. Although quite a few of the h.s. precision Remington stocks sell on Ebay on a regular basis as well. Sounds like a good deal to me!

450 is a pretty good price if its in good shape and doesnt have 500 rounds down the tube.

Others keep posting pictures of your stocks, id like to see the changes yall have made

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">450 is a pretty good price if its in good shape and doesnt have 500 rounds down the tube.

Others keep posting pictures of your stocks, id like to see the changes yall have made </div></div>

I think he did say it had around 500 rounds through it.
I may just scope one of my Swiss K31s instead.

Jim

Even with that many rounds through it it should still shoot fine. mine has around 750 through it. they start with a rather long throat, at least mine did and it shoots as good now as it ever has.

$450 is a good price even with 500 rounds down the tube. The 308 is generally good for a lot of shooting, several thousand rounds at least. The SPS varmint is a great platform to build on. You could have the barrel set back and have it rechambered if you like a tighter chamber than what is stock or you can order and ER Shaw barrel for $155 ready to screw on, or a Krieger for $400 if you want to go that route. Hwever, only start replacing parts after you shoot it some to determine what it needs.

New stocks vary greatly in price, from a Hogue overmolded for $150, to a Bell & Carlson light tactical for $250 or so, to a Manners for $500 to a McMillan for $750 with lots of options and so on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LS6TT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">450 is a pretty good price if its in good shape and doesnt have 500 rounds down the tube.

Others keep posting pictures of your stocks, id like to see the changes yall have made </div></div>

I think he did say it had around 500 rounds through it.
I may just scope one of my Swiss K31s instead.

Jim </div></div>

I paid $450 for mine 2 years ago. Well worth the money. It took mine about 300 rounds to smooth the bore out. My best group which means nothing was .346 but I have quite a few 5 shots hovering around .5 but I would say the stick with me are .75 average. Mine also does not like a clean bore. I added HS PST035 stock and a RB trigger. I planned to use it as a build up but once I did the math, it cost the same to build what I owned Vs getting a new action so...I will have two rifles now.

Good luck