• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 SPS Varmint barrel cutting? Need a s

45Badger

Private
Minuteman
I got a screaming deal on a 700 SPS Varmint in .308 Win. The trigger is awesome (so far), and I swapped out the stock. Shoots like crazy. Only problem is the 26" barrel.

My son wants to use it for an all around rifle, mostly for deer hunting. I used a Remington 700P for deer hunting one year, and the 26" barrel is a bit much/long for fast aiming and shooting. Fine for sitting in a blind with long shots, but not very quick to point. I picked up a used LTR last year that has become my deer/sniper rifle. I'd like to have the SPS barrel cut to 20-22" inches, to create a "poor man's LTR" for my son.

Anybody done this? Who did the cutting and re-crowning? Results? Cost? Turn-around time? Thanks for all insight and advice!

Re: Remington 700 SPS Varmint barrel cutting? Need a s

I had a VS bobbed back to 23" earlier this year. Cost me $52 and I waited a week. Local shop.

Re: Remington 700 SPS Varmint barrel cutting? Need a s

Fun follow up. Turns out we have a really good benchrest smith about 15 miles away. He cut the barrel to 22" and re-crowned it. Have not had it out for long range work, but it shoots sub 1" at 100 yards with my general purpose handloads (165 gr ballistic tips over 41.5gr of IMR 4895).