• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec...

fatdaddy1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Eatonton, Ga.
I have a N/F 5.5x22x56 going on it next week. What should I expect from this setup? By the way was am a lurker here...This is my 1st post.

Re: Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec...

Hello, I have a 5R with a 8.5 x 25 Mark 4 and it shoots very good for a factory gun. From what I have read that scope should be better than the one that I have.I have only brieftly looked through one. I had the best luck with Federal Gold Metal match 168 grains and 175s before I started reloading. The Federal 150 grain blue box hunting bullets also shoot very well out to say 300 yards in it. After that the groups tend to open up a bit. Hope this helps some..

Thanks for the reply. I plan on starting out with the fed. match 168s. I will post more results later. I really just wanted to know if others here had much experience with this setup.

i had really good luck with 168 gmm this week. .4 inch groups. also the 175 gmm and black hills red box 175s shot well. i got just over a half inch with both the 175.

these were with the stock trigger which seems really heavy. have not measured it, but am going to have it lightened to 3 lbs. i am using a 3.5 - 10 mark 4. it would be nice to have a little more zoom for printing groups. none the less i really like it.

I took my new 5-R with an NXS 5.5-22x50 out to break in using 165 gr. Federal Premium Game Kings. I took 9 shots total cleaning between all shots. 100 yards.

1st 3 were basically rough sight in shots.

Then a 3-shot group that was covered with a dime.

Then a 3-shot group that was covered with a quarter.

Heading out to a 200 yd. range Friday to continue the break in.

Bottom line, you should be thrilled with the results. My gun is infinitely above my abilities (for now). And I'll experiment with heavier match loads (factory) after the TX hunting season... and then I feel an investment in reloading.

It really took a while for me to find a load mine loved. I shot FGMM and was only shooting MOA at 100 with it. I tried LOTS of combos and I have finally settled on basically 2 loads that produce almost identical results. I am using brass trimmed to 2.005, 175 SMKs, 42.5 or either Varget or H4895 with a remington LR primer(all I can find)loaded out to an OAL of 2.810. It will still mag feed at this length as well. It will pretty much shoot a little cloverleaf hold with this setup, less than 1/2 MOA. I honestly think the .010 I lengthened the rounds helped more than anything.

im about to start reloading for my 308 5R im thinking about 175 smk kinda pricey..nosler 10 bucks lesser..i live in a small island of hawaii where our range can only go up to 400 yards but we never used the full 400 only upto 300 for f class...a little help guys 100- 300 yard, whats the best recipe?

I guy on here gave me a 168 load that is the best 168 load I have tried. 39.5 gr H4895 loaded to 2.80. It is a 1/2 MOA load for me. 168s do great out to 500 yds and are cheaper than 175s.

175 smk over 43gr of varget in a lapua case with cci br-2 primers at an oal of 2.8" shoots the lights out in mine out to 600yds. not much experience past that. I'm seeing velocities of 2610 fps with an sd of 11 over my junk chronograph. they are definitely hellatious factory rifles. happy shooting!

semper fi
ryan

had really good luck today with new win brass and speer 168 hpbt. 39.5 gr of h 4895 and 44 gr of varget. oal of 2.810 and regular fed 210 primers. varget 5 shot group .35 inch and 4895 5 shot group .3 inch. shot 5 and cleaned on all these groups. re 15 was not as good for me, but still in the half inch area so nothing to sneeze at. had a bad case of perma grin on the way home. good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjk0352</div><div class="ubbcode-body">had really good luck today with new win brass and speer 168 hpbt. 39.5 gr of h 4895 and 44 gr of varget. oal of 2.810 and regular fed 210 primers. varget 5 shot group .35 inch and 4895 5 shot group .3 inch. shot 5 and cleaned on all these groups. re 15 was not as good for me, but still in the half inch area so nothing to sneeze at. had a bad case of perma grin on the way home. good luck</div></div>

ty mjk ill try that one too
smile.gif

Right on Guys,
I have a .308 5R in transit to me right now, I hope to be shooting groups this weekend. Keep sharing the load data and I will the same.
I have some SMK's 168 that I will get loaded this week with Varget. It looks like I am going to try 43, 43.5, and 44 grains loaded out to 2.810 into some fully prepped Remington brass.
SScott