• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 SS vs Blued

Red Belly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
MA
I am going to purchase a Remington 700 receiver for a new build. The barreled action will be cerakoted. Is there any real advantage to the stainless steel action over the basic blued action since it is about $200 more?

Any recommendations?

Re: Remington 700 SS vs Blued

Well the obvious one is that Stainless is much more corrosion resistant than chrome moly (blued). That said, if you are painting the rifle and take care of it, either one will be plenty durable.

The only other consideration is that there can be galling when mating stainless and chrome moly, meaning if the barrel and action are different materials, this wouldn't be of any concern if you aren't doing the metal work yourself. It is likely a very non-issue as the two materials have been paired in firearm building for a long time...

So, if it is really going to cost you $200 additional to get a stainless, I would be inclined to stick with the blued action

Dave

I have a Bartlein SS barrel on order. Would that change your recommendation?

not for $200... if the price point were closer I would go stainless, but it won't make an accuracy difference. Unless you are wanting to do a polished stainless build
smile.gif

I know the SS ones take longer to lap in than the carbon steel when fitting the lugs.

Just did a batch a couple weeks ago.

If your going to have it tuned up, consider giving Greg Young a call at:

Greg Young
Southwest Florida Marine Service
Southern Precision Rifles
4065 10th Ave S.E.
Naples, FL 34117
(239)289-2338
[email protected]

He has NIB shorts with a 480BF on the shelf already tuned up and ready to go. (I did them for him) Each receiver comes with a sort of "certificate" explaining the work with a reference to the shop site showing the process in more detail.

I'm not sure of the pricing, have to get with him.

Hope this helped.

C

Thanks gents. Once again, this site has saved my some $.

I am more inclined to use the stainless action. All mine get cerakoted but the difference is inside the receiver. I prefer not to coat the lug raceways or anywhere inside the action for that matter to keep the action operating smoothly. With a blued action, corrosion inside the action is more of an issue.

Well since the difference between the CM and SS short actions at Brownells is $70 for dealers and only $50 for retail customers, I would take a good look at who is trying to charge you all that cash.

I was looking at the retail prices at Brownells. $329 vs 529 I believe. I wasn't aware of the dealer pricing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red Belly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at the retail prices at Brownells. $329 vs 529 I believe. I wasn't aware of the dealer pricing. </div></div>

Actually it is $499.99 for a blued short action and $574.99 for a SS Magnum action.

However if you have a buddy with a FFL you can ask him to cut you a deal.

Or you can get a C&R license, copy it to brownells and get dealer discounts. You still need to pay shipping either way and you will still have to pay a transfer to a regular dealer, but they do give you across the board discounts that make the $30.00 for 3 years collectors license very well worth the money!

Thanks. That is good info. I appreciate it.