• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 700 stainless 5_r milspec cal .308 vs remington 700 AWR cal .308

1clickofftarget

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2021
Norway
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, all the way from norway, so please forgive me if this has been addressed previously, I couldn't find a thread on it.
I hunt moose and shoot long distance 600 to 1000 meters. I already own a .308, but i want to buy a rifle "to build on" in the same caliber. That's how i came about the remington 700 model.

My question is which one is better and why? Remington 700 stainless 5-r or the Remington 700 AWR 5-r.
Very curious about your opinions.
Thanks.

Hei!

A Remington 700 is a Remington 700. What varies is the barrel profile, stock and depending on year and model, also fit and finish. I have felt some really nice ones and also some horrible gritty ones, right out of the box.
If you intend to shoot from prone position, you will want a stock which looks a lot different to the AWRs more traditional hunting style stock. You want an adjustable comb and recoil pad. Take a look at KRGs Bravo chassis. Its a great option.

Then again, a lot of people have left the Remington 700 behind and Tikka T3 seems to be the "go to" rifle of choice. Its pretty much the same there, the action stays the same but the barrelprofile and stock varies. What does not change is the butter smooth feel of the action. I have yet to feel a gritty Tikka. And they also tend to shoot really well.
Take a look at the Tikka T3x Varmint. That would be my choice. And I dont mind a Remington 700 one bit, ive had 5 or 6 of them. But over all, the Tikka is a much nicer rifle.

Or you could look at the Sako TRG 22. Its an awesome rifle for sure.

/From Sweden, no less.

The specs show the awr to be about 1 pound less than the mil spec 5r.
I have the gen one mil spec, and to me, it seems like it would be heavy to carry around all day. I have a bench rest scope on it which is somewhat on the heavy side and a bipod which contributes to the weight.

The rifle shoots very nice groups. I upgraded to a Timney 2lb trigger.

I see the awr comes with the x-mark trigger at 3.5 lbs which seems to get positive reviews.

I have a few older 700’s and would stay clear of the new ones. Remington has put garbage out over the last decade. Tikka would be my choice in a factory rifle.

Most 700's need the lugs lapped at least to get the best accuracy. Another vote for Tikka

A lot of Rem haters on here. I had a couple 5r Milspec and they both shot around 1/2moa. Imo they are underrated. I sold my 24" to a friend who wanted it and picked up a 20" model. I am not a bench rest shooter and can hold 1/2" reasonably well. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. This is with factory ammo, since Fed GMM use to be so cheap.
I still have a few other Remington r700, and they are not bad. True there are some better, but they aren't as bad as some would lead you to believe.

20200413_202855.jpg

My Remington 700 5r stainless gen2 or Remington 700 police in 308 is another heavy barrel 308 Remington that’s worth looking at. If you’re looking at used Remington rifles the serial numbers with letter prefixes “A” thru “G”are usually better actions than some of the newer Remington actions. Some of the new cnc’d Remington actions are really good too. You might be able to buy only the Remington action from gunbroker.com with the 308 bolt face but I’m not sure about export rules.
Several guys recommended tikkas and they’re good. Another good choice is Howa. There’s a whole lot to like about Howa’s. Damn solid action with integral recoil lug. A sweet 2 stage trigger that’s easily modified to adjust to a lighter pull instead of buying a aftermarket. Good barrels and now they have hs precision stocks and various options to choose from.

There’s lot of good choices so finding the one that meets your needs should be easier once we know what’s available to you.
What rifles are available in your area and how much do they cost. Are actions, barrels, stock/chassis, and triggers sold individually or are you required to buy a complete rifle and then upgrade it.
Thanks

Another Tikka fan here, actions as as smooth as my customs, smoother than some. Triggers are the best factory IMO, change a spring and you can get it down to 16 oz or less. You can get shouldered prefit barrels for the Tikka. Not going to happen with the rem 700 action.

I like 700's but and have a soft spot for them and I live in the 90's. However....
188826510_510534353416923_8167676915753039120_n.jpeg

a Tikka would be a great bang for your buck. Remington is no longer in business and production of 700's has not resumed yet. Finding an extractor is kind of a living hell.

The Tikka has good aftermarket support and is just a sweet modern action. Well designed and machined. I like Tikka and Seekins anymore, not a rehash of the venerable 700 action. YMMV

Reactions: jcmullis2
I like 700's but and have a soft spot for them and I live in the 90's. However.... View attachment 7684038

a Tikka would be a great bang for your buck. Remington is no longer in business and production of 700's has not resumed yet. Finding an extractor is kind of a living hell.

The Tikka has good aftermarket support and is just a sweet modern action. Well designed and machined. I like Tikka and Seekins anymore, not a rehash of the venerable 700 action. YMMV
Great looking Remington 700 m24. I didn’t know people were already having problems getting parts but it doesn’t surprise me.
I’m a Remington lover from back in the day too and thought of Remington about like Crown Royal. Not necessarily the best but with a little fine tuning they’re pretty damn good.
I didn’t realize it until I got in a dispute with another guy but Howa’s are damn good and priced like the Remingtons used to be. I actually had one that I’d picked up because of it’s price. I took it apart and was impressed with what I seen. The action reminds me of the old Winchester model 70 and built like a tank.
The tikkas are nice too but they’ve had enough support here. Lol

A lot of Rem haters on here. I had a couple 5r Milspec and they both shot around 1/2moa. Imo they are underrated. I sold my 24" to a friend who wanted it and picked up a 20" model. I am not a bench rest shooter and can hold 1/2" reasonably well. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. This is with factory ammo, since Fed GMM use to be so cheap.
I still have a few other Remington r700, and they are not bad. True there are some better, but they aren't as bad as some would lead you to believe.

View attachment 7683934
Agreed. This is 5 shots the first time I shot for group at 300 yds with my 5R 223. . The far right was a cold bore I do need to work on my come up.

Attachments

• 223 @ 300.jpg
    223 @ 300.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 28