• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Stock Options - Magwells Considered

henryfrank333

Private
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2013
So after taking my new Remington 700 AAC-SD out to the range, I have finally decided that I do, in fact, need to replace the squishy Hogue stock with something better. However, the decision isn't as easy as I had hoped it would be.
I was originally thinking of getting a B&C Tactical Medalist Style 3, but don't know whether that would be the best option and want input from people who have gone through this all before.

Additionally, I am very interested in adding a Magwell with removable magazines. The problem is if I ask B&C to modify my Tactical Medalist Style 3 to accept box mags, the cost of the stock (~$250) + the cost of the Mag System from Surgeon or Badger (~$300) would really burn my wallet together.

What do you recommend (also please tell me what Style you prefer and why)?

Is there any other better option that comes with a magwell already? If so how much does it cost?

Thank you!

You don't have to go with a Surgeon or Badger DBM, Pacific Tool & Gauge makes a very good DBM set up that is very budget friendly. Right now they have a deal for their short action versions for $75 off of their website, I just wish they had that good of a deal when I bought mine. The PTG is just as functional as my Badger Ordnance M5 and I didn't have one feeding issue with it at all. The cost for my B&C and PTG set up was $483 for everything including the inletting fee from GA Precision and shipping both ways, but that didn't include an AICS magazine, bump that price up $70 for a magazine.

Chassis systems are another good option and they get you a lot of features for your buck like adjustable length of pull, adjustable combs, a detachable magazine, and multiple sling mounting points but they can be an acquired taste. Some people don't like the feel of them, the weight, or a combination of things but the Mcree stock is a solid set up and a good value made by a helluva nice guy.

The Mccree looks great, but it is very budget unfriendly for me too. In fact, it is more :(. I am new to precision shooting. I have an SPS tactical with an SWFA fixed 12x. I don't have trued 700 with a S&B with years of experience and a wallet large enough to support this and ammo. It's just one of those situations where I don't think I can have everything unfortunately.

Also, Trigger Monkey, do you know if B&C would inlet the stock for the PTG mag system? That would save me some more, but that looks more budget friendly so far.

Any recommendation on the stock style?

Thank you!

Last edited:
why not get the stock inletted for the BDL hinged bottom metal for now and then buy a mag system when you can and then have the stock inletted at that time? maybe use a little more money on a nice stock now, then pick up pieces as you go.

That's kinda the plan right now, but I still have to spend that $300 to get the Surgeon system or $420 for the Badger system. I think B&C only inlet for those.

My advice would be to approach it in stages.
Stage 1: Stock. Get what you will be happy with for a long time.
Stage 2: Bottom Metal and Magazines

Choate tactical Stocks are around 230 and they are now offerd in the badger M5 DMB inlett... Thats a cheap option.

any good gunsmith should be able to inlet for any of them. don't limit yourself to just the company you buy the stock from unless maybe its manners or McMillan but I thonk they would also have more inlet options.

That's kinda the plan right now, but I still have to spend that $300 to get the Surgeon system or $420 for the Badger system. I think B&C only inlet for those.

PTG $109.99 at Midway and any good gun smith can inlet your B&C stock for it.

Just been there and done that....

My remmy 700 tactical deserved better than the Hogue canoe paddle stock. I went with the PTG Stealth bottom metal (on sale for $99) , a couple AICS mags and the Bell & Carlson stock. I inletted it on my manual milling machine and bedded it ( action & bottom metal ) to finish it up. I am adding a larger bolt knob tomorrow woooo hoooooo!

PTG bottom metal is excellent as is CDI but higher in cost.

PTG-

PTG Short Action Stealth Detach Mag Bottom Metal M5 Style [N3861324] - $99.00 : Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. - Store Home, Redefining Quality in Manufacturing

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...getting-your-bottom-metal-fitted-working.html

Thank you all for the advice! Do you know if the PTG bottom metal will fit if I get a B&C inletted for the Badger bottom metal from the factory?

Also, what kind of stock comb styles are good for what application?

The PTG Stealth DBM uses the same inlet as the Badger M5 DBM so it will work just fine. Bell & Carlson will inlet the stock for Badger M5? When I checked back in December they said they wouldn't do it, Remington BDL only.

I was going off of what Lonewolf said during his budget precision build. He had it inletted from the factory I believe.

Any advice on what kind of comb style works best for which applications?

I believe that was an error in Lonewolf's video, B&C customer service told me they only inlet for the BDL and Remington factory detachable magazine system.

In regards to your question about combs it's a pretty broad question but I'll try to do my best referencing my experience with the two B&C stocks I've used. The Style 3 that you referenced in your first post is also known as the Light Tactical and is a great stock. Its straight comb is high enough that with a stock pack it put my eye at a good height for getting down behind a NF F1 in 1" rings in prone and alternate positions. The Light Tactical's cousin, the M40-style stock, has a more Monte Carlo-type comb, that pushes the comb height a little higher than say a normal sporter-style stock but it still needs a stock pack to be perfect. On my M40-style stock I used an Eagle stock pack with a few pieces of Velcro under it to get it everything just right for both the SWFA Super Sniper I had on there and later on the Bushnell ERS.

Damn. That is unfortunate if it is. I would have liked to get it straight from the factory with it inletted. Oh well. I will inquire just in case.

Oh, I understand. Between the M40 style and the Light Tactical, which is the more versatile option for a long range precision build? Would I be limited in any way by selecting the Light Tactical?

That's a tough question to answer definitively, I found either one to be equally suitable to the task since they have the same profile save for the butt stock portion. I'd say the decision would come down to whether or not you want a butt hook, the Light Tactical might have a slight advantage in this regard though because the butt hook part is parallel to the comb I thought it rode a rear bag just a hair better. Like I said it's a flip of the coin but either stock will serve you very well.

So B&C said that you are in fact correct and they don't do it. :( Shame.

I have looked into Wyatt's and the only downside I see is that it doesn't accept AI mags and it is still very pricey unfortunately. Seems there is no winning.

I might just get a stock and and figure it out later.

Any more input as to the style to get? So far, I am looking more at the Light Tactical.

Whats the reason for a DBM? I mean do you have to have it right now? Or is it just a "cool" think you want? I have the B&C Medalist on my SPS Tactical and it seems to be a pretty solid stock.....for the money.

I don't really need the bottom metal now, but I am thinking in the future it might serve well for matches. I figured a smart decision today may result in some more savings down the line. Not sure if that is correct, but that was the thought process.

DBM's are nice and after using one going back to a blind box mag kind of blows. It's not horrible on a . 308 but trying to stuff small rounds (. 223) in a blind mag with sausage fingers does blow big time. It makes loading and clearing the weapon quick and simple.

I've done a few HS and B & C syntheyic stocks with the PT & G bottom metal. The inletting that needs to be done is modest, but it is exacting. So if a person has a Dremel, good hand and eyes they ought to be able to get it done. But again, the most important thing I suppose is knowing what one is capable of.

I like the PG & T "M-5" type because it protrudes a bit from the bottom of the stock. As an aside, in 308 caliber (or 7-08 or 243 0r 6mm Remington) you can use the poly magazines made by Ruger for their GSR. If mated to the M-5 bottom a rib or two from the magazine body muct be eliminated, but on the PT & G flat bottomed M-4 style it pops right in. The Ruger comes in, 3, 5 & 10 round magazines. I use the PT & G M-5 style with the Ruger GSR magazines on a Remington 700 VLS in a B & C tactical style stock.

I would personally go with the m40 stock of the two. th traditional ramped shape rides a round bag pretty good. I like being able to roll it back and forth for elevation instead of squeezing.

I will also agree that the DBM is nice to have. I have had only one on a savage rifle, factory Accurate mag system I think, and it was probably my favorite part of that particular rifle.

So the way it stands now, I will not be getting a bottom metal. I will probably get the B&C stock, install that, shoot it for some years and then decide whether I want the BM or not.

Currently I am still deciding between the M40 and the Light Tactical styles. If you guys want to chime in on your opinions I would greatly appreciate them.

Style-wise, I like the look of the Light Tac more, but if the M40 is more comfortable/has more utility, I might go with that. Any thoughts?

i just bought a remington 700 aac-sd in 308 because i liked the way the hogue stock felt, then i get home and read nothing but bad things about the stock!!! im actually half tempted to sell the 700 and just buy a savage model 10 fcp-sr because it has a fluted bull barrel, 10 round detachable magazine, decent to good stock from the factory, threaded barrel, good trigger....seems to be the better deal. i have not got to shoot the 700 yet. how bad does the hogue stock affect accuracy? i plan on putting on a harris 9-13 bipod. i to planned on buying a b&c stock once i read all the negatives of the factory stock, the one with the hook in the bottom of the butt. once i add up the cost and the cost to convert the 700 to a dbm im leaning towards the savage but ill have to take a loss on a new 700 aac-sd, unless i keep that for brush hunting. hmmm decisions decisions!!

DBMs have their place but I actually prefer not to have one on a pure hunting rifle.

The only downside is slinging it with a mag is not as comfortable with bottom sling swivels. I might add a side mounted / flush swivels for a smoother sling carry.

i just bought a remington 700 aac-sd in 308 because i liked the way the hogue stock felt, then i get home and read nothing but bad things about the stock!!! im actually half tempted to sell the 700 and just buy a savage model 10 fcp-sr because it has a fluted bull barrel, 10 round detachable magazine, decent to good stock from the factory, threaded barrel, good trigger....seems to be the better deal. i have not got to shoot the 700 yet. how bad does the hogue stock affect accuracy? i plan on putting on a harris 9-13 bipod. i to planned on buying a b&c stock once i read all the negatives of the factory stock, the one with the hook in the bottom of the butt. once i add up the cost and the cost to convert the 700 to a dbm im leaning towards the savage but ill have to take a loss on a new 700 aac-sd, unless i keep that for brush hunting. hmmm decisions decisions!!

It's not a terrible stock... for hunting. It's just not good for a Precision Rifle. Sanding the barrel channel helps some. But, everyone wants more than "good enough".

I agree. I had a 10fcp-sr that I just sold nd replaced with another Remington 700. it was a decent shooter and had some good features but the stock was as bad as the Hogue youre wanting to replace and the action was gritty and the bolt felt loose compared to a Remington.

For traditional style stocks I wouldn't go with anything cheaper than HS Precision. Had two bad experiences with B&C stocks and their customer service did not stand behind their product. You will get what you pay for.

You can modify your Remington to fit 5-rounds in the factory magazine and hold off on the DBM system for now since money is THE issue. You're not going to be missing out on anything without a DBM. Even just one 5-round AI mag is expensive!! Unless you have $$ to buy a handful of AI mags and want to carry them around....what's the use?

If you're set on having a DBM system and new stock all at once, the AICS chassis system is the best bang for the buck. If you have a traditional stock inletted PTG bottom metal is the way to go. The extended mag well on them is great.

I had a couple AICS chassis and traditional stocks with DBMs -- ended up going back to old school and top loading my 700. Got THIS scope base with a cut-out to make loading easier. It's not a Badger quality but I've had two of these and they work great. It's the only short-action one made that I know of. It's also not MOA corrected so your scope can sit lower - so that might help with your cheek weld issue.

A Mccree Precision chassis is that thing for which you are looking. Scott is a strong military supporter as well.
Justin

I love to see a manufacturer who is so confident in his product that he recommends a competitor's product if it is the right fit. That is just good business. Makes me feel better as I stew on the waiting list for my Whiskey 3.

I will second the Mccree recommendation for the OP's price point it solves a lot of problems. Just torque it on and go. I dumped the factory Hogue for a Mccree on one of my 700s and am very pleased with the chassis.

The PTG bottom metal is good to go too if you decide to go the traditional stock route. Send the stock you settle on to Badger for an M5 inlet. The turn around is like a week. Just watch the Pacific Tool website as they go on sale for $75 from time to time.

I love to see a manufacturer who is so confident in his product that he recommends a competitor's product if it is the right fit. That is just good business. Makes me feel better as I stew on the waiting list for my Whiskey 3.

I will second the Mccree recommendation for the OP's price point it solves a lot of problems. Just torque it on and go. I dumped the factory Hogue for a Mccree on one of my 700s and am very pleased with the chassis.

The PTG bottom metal is good to go too if you decide to go the traditional stock route. Send the stock you settle on to Badger for an M5 inlet. The turn around is like a week. Just watch the Pacific Tool website as they go on sale for $75 from time to time.
+1!

Yeah... Definitely whatever route you go, spend the couple bucks and pick up an KRG bolt knob too. Can't recommend them enough. First Class company -- KRG-OPS.com -- .
It'll do ya way more good to have this knob than a DBM system.

Here is my recommendation. If you want to commit to precision rifles. Buy once cry once and follow these steps.
Go to eBay.com and search Manners. Several are available from eurooptic. Pick the one you want and select Bill Me Later under payment options. If your credit is ok you will receive 6mo without interest.
Manners has excellent customer service and the stock will grow with you. They just inlet my stock for DBM and I only had to pay shipping.

I saw those euro optic stocks.... Did your have the aluminum bedding block or did you need to have it bedded?

I saw those euro optic stocks.... Did your have the aluminum bedding block or did you need to have it bedded?
I bedded mine. As for me: I saw no reason to jump into DBM with both feet. I still have a lot of skill development to work through before that. I got the BDL inlet. After I sent my rifle for truing and a M24 profile barrel, I had the barrel inlet opened by Manners. Then came the DBM.

Had two bad experiences with B&C stocks and their customer service did not stand behind their product. You will get what you pay for.

B&C is a production stock and they make LOTS of them. Its a very good stock for the money and will work well unless you are jumping out of airplanes and landing on it. Its not on par with stocks that cost twice as much (or more) but works well once set up correctly. I purchased my 1st B&C and its a pretty good stock for construction and finish. That being said my rear pillar was .052 " off center which I corrected when fitting my bottom metal and bedding it.
Its marketed as a "drop in" and I have yet to see anything that drops in work as well as properly fitted and bedded parts. Besides fitting the PTG bottom metal required milling a pretty good chunk of the aluminum bedding block out of the stock so that in itself voids the factory B&C warranty. For a little over $200 its a hard to beat , very good stock. By comparison my McMillian stock I could likely beat the B&C stock in 1/2 and still work. Its more weight and money and not everyone wants or needs this. YMMV.

Had 3 B&C stocks. None were drop-in-fit (as advertised) I made one work, like you did by having bottom metal installed. It was finally.... Okay.

The other two B&C's were just outrageously cut way off and I didn't want to deal with making them work.
As a return customer contacting B&C twice about their products not being correct and getting "Sorry for the inconvenience" as the only reply both times - It tells me they just don't give two shits about their products or customers.

Sorry for that rant but I'm trying to say that ... When bottom metal, mags, machining to inlet and shipping are worth more than the stock, it doesn't quite make sense to do it. i wouldn't put that work, money and parts into a mediocre foundation again.

Had 3 B&C stocks. None were drop-in-fit (as advertised) I made one work, like you did by having bottom metal installed. It was finally.... Okay.

The other two B&C's were just outrageously cut way off and I didn't want to deal with making them work.
As a return customer contacting B&C twice about their products not being correct and getting "Sorry for the inconvenience" as the only reply both times - It tells me they just don't give two shits about their products or customers.

Sorry for that rant but I'm trying to say that ... When bottom metal, mags, machining to inlet and shipping are worth more than the stock, it doesn't quite make sense to do it. i wouldn't put that work, money and parts into a mediocre foundation again.

B&C customer service is pretty weak and funny as well. I sent them an email when I learned that the rear pillar was off center and asked if this was considered "bad" by them and worthy of replacement. The day after I sent the email I received my PTG bottom metal and decided to inlet the stock myself and fix the rear pillar or use the PTG pillars included with the bottom metal. I got it fit correctly and bedded without issues. About a week later I got a package from B&C that contained some action screws with turned down shank diameters. Their solution to being off center is to use undersize screws with extra clearance to make it fit. That is the funny part. I never did get an email or call back.

If you buy a B&C stock look it over carefully before cutting on it or its yours with no warranty. I am quite pleased with mine to be honest and it performs very well but there is no way it would drop in and work as well.

why not look into a 5R or 700P take off stock? would be about the same cost as the B&C but I feel HS Precision is a bit better.