• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 stuck case??

Derrick300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, SC.
OK ill try and make this short.
Bought a new 5R about 1 year ago in 300wm
Zero rounds fired

Sent off to very well known shop here on the hide to have the following work done.
Pillar bed in new McMillan A5
Cerakote barreled action black
Inlet and install new Badger M5
Barrel cut down to 22"

OK i received rifle back and instantly thought it was very tough to chamber a round out of the magazine. Lay it in and it chambers fine just tough to chamber from new AI mag. Tried another mag and same thing.
Called builder and he told me to sent it back.
He calls me a few days later and says "I cant find anything wrong with it" He tells me he test fired it and all is good.
He then tells me to go shoot the thing everything will be fine. I said OK send it back and that's what ill do, thanks for checking it out.

Well iv'e been busy with travel for work and it sat in the safe for about 4 months.
I go to the range yesterday to zero it in for an upcoming hunting trip and this is when I realize something isn't right.
I take some Winchester 180gr power points just to get on paper.
I lay the first round in on top of the mag and chamber it, seems normal. Take shot #1 and i'm a little off so I make a few quick adjustments.
Go to cycle the shell out and the bolt feels like its been welded shut. Handle will move up and down but absolutely wont budge towards the rear. I wait about 10 minutes hoping it would cool and loosen up but no dice.
Packed up and went home. Ended up talking a small hard rubber mallet to the bolt handle and it slowly slid open with a few medium taps. Case looks like it swelled/stretched back near the belt and left some medium scratches running long way just in the swelled area presumably from the chamber when i drove it out.
I can see what looks like scratches in the very rear of the chamber or it could be brass for the case.

Do you guys think this could be shitty brass or a bigger problem.
Thanks in advance.. I will take some pics of the case if I can get the cam to zoom that close.

Re: Remington 700 stuck case??

Sounds like there are some burrs in the chamber or it's out of round. (Post pictures)

Since you didn't fire the rifle before sending it to the smith, you'll never know if it came from the factory that way or occurred with the smith when he had the barrel off to shorten it.

What sounds a bit fishy is your smith told you they testfired it without issue. That is something they would have noticed.

How was the rifle stored during the 4 months before you fired it? Rust in the chamber could cause what you're experiencing but since you're rifle is stainless that is rather unlikely.

I went threw this with a smith before, and he never did fix it! I took to another smith and he scoped the chamber, it was very rough, he said probably reamer chatter? Or a very dull reamer... To fix right minor set back enough to clean up bore. But you might want them to check to see if action was done right and straight. It sucks when this happens and mine was also a 300 win mag,,,

I would try some different ammo first. If the same thing happens, a chamber cast and bore scope should answer all questions.

Well, I wanted to do some other work to it so i'm sending it out to Chad Dixon and let him take a look while he has it.
Worst case i'll have him throw a new barrel on it!!!! The wife will buy that, "its unsafe!!" so I need a new barrel..

Ill keep you posted

I also have the same issue with my 5R. I bore scoped the chamber and also have a rough chamber. waiting on my smith to finish the 2 rifles he already has of mine to finish and going to have him cut a couple of threads off and rechamber it. Mine as about 50 rounds thru it with 4 types of ammo. Mine is a 300 win also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wattsdk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also have the same issue with my 5R. I bore scoped the chamber and also have a rough chamber. waiting on my smith to finish the 2 rifles he already has of mine to finish and going to have him cut a couple of threads off and rechamber it. Mine as about 50 rounds thru it with 4 types of ammo. Mine is a 300 win also. </div></div>

Man, Remington is really slacking. Might just rebarrel it at this point, now I just need to verify contour on these things