• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Tactical Target

B&W21

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2010
United States
What are your impressions of this rifle?

remtarget01.jpg

Re: Remington 700 Tactical Target

Overpriced and I am REALLY not sold on the VTR barrel profile.

At the price point they are asking, you can get darn near the same thing, WITH just-ok base, rings, and scope in a package from one of several places.

Going a little more upscale, the price target for the Target Tactical will get you darn near a custom or semi-custom rifle which you can then invest in the other bits.

Overpriced YES
But i've shot the rifle before and the barrel profile does seem to work
However, even though i like the barrel are there any suppressors available for its triangular design?

Might be alright but I would go with the Model 700 XCR Tactical Long Range model over it. The XCR is cheaper, and personally I don't care for the triangular barrel.

It's gaRy.

Expensive, don't like the stock, don't like the barrel.

Sako called, they want their stock back...

dont know if you want one of them neither i have one in 300wm and ive had problems with mine both with the stock and barrel.plus seen problems with the 308s to.

It's probably a decent enough rifle. And it definitely looks space-age. But I liken it to a GSXR in the Motorcycle world. Many buy them to look cool but don't really know WTF they're doing... And everybody knows it.

specifically what were your exact issues and problems with the stock and barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clc33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont know if you want one of them neither i have one in 300wm and ive had problems with mine both with the stock and barrel.plus seen problems with the 308s to. </div></div>

to put this rifle into perspective of what a complete ripoff it is online they list for 1650-1700 so take that dollar amound and lets see what else you could get
rem sps var + aics 2.0 + bolt knob modification = badass
and you would still have money left over so do yourself a favor and dont ever buy a rifle that doesnt have a round barrel

Sako called they will get it. A7 Recon rifle. 20" 308.

Along with Rem, CZ, Les Baer, Weatherby, and the 2400 stocks just like this we sold last year.

Somebody must like em.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B&W21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overpriced YES
</div></div>

Works, how?

Of course it allows a projectile to transit the circular cavity, focusing its later flight towards the target, but what additional benefit does it provide that a traditional cylindrical barrel would not?

The VTR will demonstrate a better rigidity than a cylindrical barrel of the same WEIGHT but less than that of a standard contour barrel of the same length.

So if this is really a TARGET tactical, why would you give up rigidity to save some weight on the barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Somebody must like em. </div></div>

I do. I have a rifle being built in one getting started right now.

Its not the stock I call BS on. Its the VTR gimmick.

I was going to buy the same rifle then I started shopping around. I ended up having something similar built. Trued 700, shilen barrel, the same B&C stock (which I like) and a timney trigger for about the same price. You can do better for the $$$

A lot of people rag on the VTR because of the triangle barrel, a friend and I got a good deal on a couple of them and they shot great once we got rid of the gummby stocks. I bought a 700P a month latter and the VTR was every bit as accurate as it, both of them. The VTR makes a very nice walking deer rifle, it's light & balances out great in that gummby stock but I don't think Remington did it any favor by putting "Tactical" in the name because it is not what I would consider a tactical rifle.

I also had that B&C A5 stock which I also really liked, it's heavy but it makes a damn fine bench stock, it just wouldn't be my choice for field use.

Now, with that said, I did send my VTR to William for a donor action and not the Police, I also sold the B&C stock to my friend and got a MCM A5 with the KMW cheekpeice and yes it's nicer but also twice the price. Not everyone can or wants to dump a grand on a fully adjustable MCM and this B&C is a good alternative for them.

from what i know and read about the VTR barrels is that the design has made the barrel weak there for not as accurate as a standard BB or a fluted barrel..... i wouldnt get one in a VTR barrel.

Overpriced! You can buy an SPS Tactical with a 20" barrel, a Mcmillan stock or AICS stock and have a more than decent starting point for a badass rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B&W21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Overpriced YES
However, even though i like the barrel are there any suppressors available for its triangular design? </div></div>
ANY suppressor will work with it .... why would the triangle barrel require anything other than being threaded for whatever can OR whatever muzzle device. If the barrel has to be profiled then it has to be profiled ....

With all Remington could have done at the time to improve their precision rifle line I want to meet the guy who was sitting at the table and said "I got it! Lets go with a triangle barrel!"

I'm sorry but its stupid........with all the history we know of firearms from round ball smooth bore to rifling and up to todays weapons nobody has went away from a round barrel.....except for some older octogan which is pretty close to round and was an old fashined version of fluting. No square barrels, oval etc. Bad move by Remington.

Derek