• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing REMINGTON 700 THREE-POSITION SAFETY SHROUD

kiena

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2007
Hawley, PA
Saw it on a rifle recently and was wondering who has experience with this product, and how reliable and safe it is. I didnt even know that this type of safety ( REMINGTON 700 THREE-POSITION SAFETY ) can be had on a Rem 700 untill now... Looks to me that it would be alot easier to use then that tiny Rem 700 safety... So, any input and opinions on this would be welcomed.
Dmitri

Re: REMINGTON 700 THREE-POSITION SAFETY SHROUD

The only one I would recommend is the one made by Ed Lapour. He is listed in the ACGG website as a member. These safeties are just like the ones found on the winchester model 70. I have installed a number of them on actions ranging from 700's to mausers to sakos and they just plain work. They block the firing pin, not the trigger which makes them safer IMO.

Reactions: Westcoast308

i have seen two different ones. i have the Gentry on a M7

New England Custom Guns it looks like the M700 model is discontinued now tho.

and David Gentry. this is available from Midway.

if you get one, make sure you install whatever trigger you will be using before the safety install. you are basically fitting the safety to the trigger.

i doubt i'd do another one. i like it ok, but except for the bolt lock, see no advantage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have seen two different ones. i have the Gentry on a M7

New England Custom Guns it looks like the M700 model is discontinued now tho.

and David Gentry. this is available from Midway.

if you get one, make sure you install whatever trigger you will be using before the safety install. you are basically fitting the safety to the trigger.

i doubt i'd do another one. i like it ok, but except for the bolt lock, <span style="font-weight: bold">see no advantage</span>. </div></div>

I'm going to disagree on this one. The three-position safeties using a Model 70 design are absolutely a safer design. Instead of relying on just a trigger safety, the firing pin/cocking piece is blocked in both the middle and full safe positions. Not only do you get a bolt lock, but you also get a bolt that's easily field stripped in seconds. When installed properly, the cocking piece engagement is fit to the particular trigger, and the chance of slam-firing is greatly reduced.

I don't use the 2 position safety on the factory trigger.

I have employed the Gentry 3 POS on a M/700 rifle. It was a good addition to the platform. It is readily field strippable without the use of any tools in just seconds. Gentry Custom, I believe also builds a safety with a gas shield incorporated into the bolt plug for the Remington's. Kelly would know more about these details than I... maybe he could share some details with us?

Everyone keeps saying "Trigger Block Safety", The Old Remington safety blocks the sear, which in turn blocks the striker, NOT the trigger.

I will say this though, the connector design fire control WAS for all intensive purposes intended to employ a "Trigger - Sear Block Safety" However, this feature never made it past the conceptual phase into the field...

Aug ><>

Would like to install a gentry shroud, why and how are they fitted to the trigger.

I think PTG makes a three position safety bolt shroud. I see it on the site also a cocking pice for the shroud.

I have used them, great addition to the Remington. All the way forward is fire,in the middle position you can open the bolt but are still on safe and all the way to the rear is safe, but the bolt wont open.
Do to the larger size of the safety lever it works great from the prone position...

Don't use the Gentry unless you are a masochist. Get the PTG, it is a great addition but you may need someone to install either one of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundoktr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't use the Gentry unless you are a masochist. Get the PTG, it is a great addition but you may need someone to install either one of them. </div></div>

Yeah there is some fitting involved. Mine is just plain ole' Winchester...

I have a batch of three position safeties going thru the shop . I will post and let you know as the parts get out of inspection . I should have them finished in a few weeks. Thanks Dave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundoktr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't use the Gentry unless you are a masochist. Get the PTG, it is a great addition but you may need someone to install either one of them. </div></div>

Unless I am missing something, I would think any 3 position safety fitted to the Remington cocking piece, or any platform for that matter, would need to be "fitted" to work properly.

With the safety in the ON safe position, the safety MUST retract the cocking piece, which in the ideal world would allow the sear to raise up to create clearance between the sear and trigger engagement surfaces. If this does not happen like I describe, the trigger could interfere with the sear, NOT allowing the trigger to fully reset under the sear to permit a secure & reliable sear support condition, which would in turn permit the arm to fire on safety release.

I will state this again, The Remington safety (Pre X Mark) does NOT block, or act on the trigger in a production rifle!! The connector fire control safety, ONLY blocks the sear, which in turn blocks forward movement of the striker - Anyone that claims it does, is either confused, or does not know what they are talking about with regard to this safety design.

Personally I had good results with the Gentry 3 Position Safety, but then again, I had mine professionally installed by Dennis Gentry. If you attempt to install any 3 position without the proper fixtures, or knowledge to insure proper retraction of the cocking piece, your millage may vary.

Aug ><>

I've done a couple of the Gentry safeties in Remingtons. It's a pretty straight forward instalation.

We are finished with special cocking parts to help with the instalation. These parts have a angled 45 deg. thru hole. The hole does not end up with the safety notch running in to it. There is a pic. on our web site. Thanks Dave

Dave, sent you an email. I'd like to get my hands on one. Are they available for purchase?