• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Trigger Recommendations - Hunting

Nhicks222

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2021
Missoula
I am a hunter in MT and have hunted with a stock Remington 700 action and trigger the past few years. The stock trigger is so hard in it feels impossible to consistently put good groupings down range with how hard I have to pull. What aftermarket triggers do you suggest?

Rifle specs:
chambered in 30-06
In the Magpul hunter stock
Using a buddies scope - vortex viper pst gen 1 2.5-10x32

I am on a budget so let me know what you guys think is the best bang for my buck! thanks!

I am a hunter in MT and have hunted with a stock Remington 700 action and trigger the past few years. The stock trigger is so hard in it feels impossible to consistently put good groupings down range with how hard I have to pull. What aftermarket triggers do you suggest?

Rifle specs:
chambered in 30-06

I am on a budget so let me know what you guys think is the best bang for my buck! thanks!
I have a Jewel in. 700 R5 and it is wonderful and w the three springs incl it has a great range of adjustment.

I do have a TriggerTech in a precision chassis target rifle. I do like it very much for that application.

Reactions: Nhicks222
If on a budget, just work your stock trigger. You can get them down below 2lbs. Obviously an aftermarket trigger is better, I have TT Diamond and Jewell BR - akin to digital vs analog, but both great.

Welcome to the forum.

That is a good honest question from a man on a budget.
Have you disassembled the rifle (just remove the stock) and simply blew out the trigger mechanism with air and applied a good grade of gun oil ? Without some history of the weapon, there is a chance , in Montana, that some debris could have built up around the trigger mechanism.

Keep us posted.

Hobo

Welcome to the forum.

That is a good honest question from a man on a budget.
Have you disassembled the rifle (just remove the stock) and simply blew out the trigger mechanism with air and applied a good grade of gun oil ? Without some history of the weapon, there is a chance , in Montana, that some debris could have built up around the trigger mechanism.

Keep us posted.

Hobo

I disassembled and cleaned the action and trigger 2 years ago when installed the Magpul hunter stock. It was cleaned and oiled then and it hasn't really gotten dirty the last two seasons at all.

Reactions: camocorvette
If on a budget, just work your stock trigger. You can get them down below 2lbs. Obviously an aftermarket trigger is better, I have TT Diamond and Jewell BR - akin to digital vs analog, but both great.
What do you mean by work it? I'm assuming you mean adjust the internals but there is always the option to fatigue them with 10,000 trigger pulls. 😂

What do you mean by work it? I'm assuming you mean adjust the internals but there is always the option to fatigue them with 10,000 trigger pulls. 😂

There are a couple of allen screws in the trigger group. One moves the sear back and forth for travel adjustment, and the other (which has some red loctite or other glue on it - to melt...) decreases the base pressure on the sear to make it lighter. The allen screw in the trigger shoe itself should only lighten it to the base level. This is all from memory and is, of course, not recommended and dangerous. I searched for videos on adjusting the stock 700 trigger and had no problem getting mine to behave very nicely, about 1.7lbs, which might even be too light for hunting.

This was the first vid I watched... think he pretty much covers it...

Erniethegunsmithdotcom has some excellent springs for Remington 700 triggers. Remove a screw, pull the factory spring, replace with Ernie's spring and got a great trigger feel. Total cost around $10.

After having a Trigger Tech Special go down, I have used a few Timney's with good success. Like their HIT trigger a lot.

Reactions: domdoc
lol. think of the odds. I have about a dozen TTs and used them in temps between a snowy 0 degrees and a humid 100. they tend to be bulletproof. the only thing that ever "broke" on any of them was the pull - and it broke cleaner and crisper than the other ones I used. it is rare for triggers to break mechanically unless they were mistreated or bubba-modified. however, jewell triggers do tend to be temperamental, although they do have a very nice feel if they arent gummed up or fouled with dirt.

I had a trigger tech special on my hunting rifle which I found a bit meh.
i did replace it for a TT 2 stage which is actually great. I also have a diamond on my RimX which I really like but obviously wouldn’t use on a hunting rifle. I really like a 2 stage trigger for a hunting build. Probably try a BnA on my next build.

Trigger tech special worked out great for me after my Jewell hit the shits.

lol. think of the odds. I have about a dozen TTs and used them in temps between a snowy 0 degrees and a humid 100. they tend to be bulletproof. the only thing that ever "broke" on any of them was the pull - and it broke cleaner and crisper than the other ones I used. it is rare for triggers to break mechanically unless they were mistreated or bubba-modified. however, jewell triggers do tend to be temperamental, although they do have a very nice feel if they arent gummed up or fouled with dirt.
Trigger Tech has had several recalls due to the amount of failures they were having. Funny some will slam Remington 700 factory triggers when TT has had same kind of issues. Glad your's are working out. My Timneys are doing great for me.

Reactions: Smokin7s
Wow, so at least a few reports of their Jewel crapping out in their hunting rig.

So far mine has been great in my 700 deer gun but I may well not be out in as much weather and dust as some of you.

For those who had trouble w their Jewel, what happened?

And did you try to clean/lubricate w lighter fluid which I believe they recommend?

Trigger tech special worked out great for me after my Jewell hit the shits.
man I’ve never had one flop on me I’ve heard of it happening but never seen it what happened with your jewel

I have a like new, what I believe is a 510 Timney in my spare parts bin. (It will work as long as your rifle is right handed).
You can have it if you pm me your address, and a picture of those beautiful Missoula mountains! : )

Timney 510.jpg

DW

Rifle specs:
chambered in 30-06

I've had Trigger Tech, Jewell, Shilen, Timney, Walker, etc... All are good triggers. If I had to pick one for my next one, probably will be another Trigger Tech. SUPER crisp and clean.

Jewell for me. Very satisfied. Drop in was easy and the factory had it set at 1lb which for me was perfect. May want to bump that up a tad for hunting but it’s a great trigger.

Reactions: domdoc
Jewell or bix & andy, I’ve seen so far 4 triggertechs break and I have one in my dasher and hate it
Interesting.... I run two Triggertechs and so far I love them. Which models are you referring to and what “breaks” on them.

Wow, so at least a few reports of their Jewel crapping out in their hunting rig.

So far mine has been great in my 700 deer gun but I may well not be out in as much weather and dust as some of you.

And did you try to clean/lubricate w lighter fluid which I believe they recommend?
I guess anything mechanical can fail.

As for lighter fluid, I have rinsed triggertech with lighter fluid per their recommendation, after getting some Rem-oil in it. Seems like a common recommendation for triggers across-the-board.

It leaves me wondering what special qualities lighter fluid has over other solvent/lubricants? I just don’t recall any other mechanical device or gun part where this particular solvent is recommended/used.

Reactions: Baron23
I thought the Timney 510, was just as good as the cheaper Trigger Tech. I sold all those triggers anyway, and now have Huber and Geissele 2 stage triggers. I eellike budget, weight of pull range, and 1 or 2 stage, are some important thing to know before answering. Although I assume for hunting we are talking 2-4lb range.

Important information here, especially if you had a TT break.

I may go this route as it seems I'm looking at a $150 price tag minimum. Thank you for your help!
@Nhicks222 if you’re needing a trigger with the bolt release, I think I’ve got a NIB Triggertech primary with bolt release that I’m not going to use I’d sell you for $100 to help save you some money. I’ll have to check at my gunsmiths. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darayavaus
Yea I’ve heard that one. You just described a multitude of solvents.
Lighter fluid is the residue-free volatile solvent that people are likely to have, and compared to most of the other residue-free volatile solvents it’s a decent balance between low toxicity and good functionality.

Lighter fluid is the residue-free volatile solvent that people are likely to have, and compared to most of the other residue-free volatile solvents it’s a decent balance between low toxicity and good functionality.
The most insightful explanation I have gotten so far. I actually wondered if it left behind some lubrication properties that I was unaware of. This would make sense to me.

Both TriggerTech and Timney have recommended this magical elixir. And I just found it vexing that our of my supply of various solvents this is the “expert’s” choice. If memory serves in both cases the explanation was lack of residue left behind. It just makes me wonder if some fudd started this and it just stuck.

As far as availability goes, I find it equally mysterious that this would be thought to be in a gun owners cabinet over every other choice. I smoke cigars and use gas lighters for purity. The only reason I happened to have some on hand was because out of nostalgia I had recently puchased a zippo hand warmer for hunting in the windy Wyoming winters. To my nose Zippo lighter fluid sticks when it burns which has me question it’s perceived lack of residue.

Some of the Solvents in my cabinet
  • Denatured Alcohol
  • Break Cleaner (that folks used before duracoat, which is subseptable to any residue.)
  • Acetone
  • Lacquer thinner
  • KG Solvent
Quite a few more but those are the ones that I would think were residue free and common.

Reactions: gnochi
MEK is residue free.

It's the only solvent that we were authorized to use when repairing structural fuel leaks in aircraft.

Reactions: Holliday
I'm waiting for the 2 stage TT to go on sale this black Friday as well for my Rem700

• Denatured Alcohol
  • Break Cleaner (that folks used before duracoat, which is subseptable to any residue.)
  • Acetone
  • Lacquer thinner
  • KG Solvent

MEK is residue free.
DNA: fairly weak solvent, intentionally toxic, takes a while to evaporate, often leaves residue if tinted

Brake cleaner: very toxic, but evaporates quickly and dissolves everything

Acetone: leaves residue that’s a pain in the ass to remove unless you can actually scrub it down with IPA or methanol

Lacquer thinner: depends on which proprietary blend; but typically leaves a mild residue and is toxic

Not familiar with KG

MEK: One of the most toxic cleaning chemicals out there. PPE strongly recommended, and they’re trying to phase it out everywhere they can. It does dissolve the stuff that brake cleaner won’t touch, though.

I think that MEK and brake cleaner might actually be too strong, because what you want to remove are bits of oil/grease plus flushing dust plus the cleaner getting out of there without gumming things up again, but you don’t want to remove any coatings or platings.

There are a couple of allen screws in the trigger group. One moves the sear back and forth for travel adjustment, and the other (which has some red loctite or other glue on it - to melt...) decreases the base pressure on the sear to make it lighter. The allen screw in the trigger shoe itself should only lighten it to the base level. This is all from memory and is, of course, not recommended and dangerous. I searched for videos on adjusting the stock 700 trigger and had no problem getting mine to behave very nicely, about 1.7lbs, which might even be too light for hunting.

The newer ones are the world's most indestructible epoxy. I gave up trying to get it out and bought a bix & Andy.

I have an old 60's Walker that's been worked over. Thought it was great. Now I have a B&A or Timney in every single rifle that I can.

I hunt with a 14oz trigger. 2lbs feels like the safety is on. So weight is on the shooter, not an arbitrary number. I would go so far as to say that 2oz may be a bad idea though.

Why do you think that?

For some reason there are a bunch here that believe TT can do no wrong.

I had a couple I tried. I wasn't willing to spend the money getting the action timed to the trigger, when I could get a trigger with a sear adjustment instead. Especially in a factory 700, they're hit and miss on the sear engagement. 700's obviously need a sear adjustment from the factory, or they would have omitted it rather than set it and epoxy the set screw.

They do work fantastic on the rifles that are sold with them and held to the correct dimensions for them to be in their ideal engagement.

I inherited my wife's grandfathers R700 that he bought new back in late 1964. I don't think he ever cleaned out the trigger. When I got it, the trigger was very hard and inconsistent. I dropped in a Timney and it was much better. Fast forward to this summer and I decided that I wanted to put the rifle back to it's original configuration. I completely disassembled the stock Remington trigger and gave it a thorough cleaning. I reassembled and lubed with Rem Oil and now it is butter smooth.

My other R700 that I picked up last Christmas I decided to drop in the 2 Stage TT Special. I love the 2 stage trigger on my AI and decided to put a 2 stage in the new R700. I love it.

If I were you, I would give the trigger a through cleaning and if that doesn't solve your problem, I would recommend either a Timney or TT.

I had a factory set Jewell fail on my 700. It intermittently released on closing the bolt which resulted in one accidental discharge. I sent it back to Jewell and they repaired it. They didn't specify what they repaired but when talking to them before sending it in the tech suspected garbage got in the works. I don't know, I'm pretty careful about foreign materials getting in my guns.

Reactions: Baron23