• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Varmint Models in 7mm-08 and 260 ?

Aubrey

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2006
NOTX
I'm interested in intel on what specific varmint models Remington may have produced in non-308 chamberings (<span style="font-style: italic">aka</span> "windcheaters") that may be appropriate for a poor-man's tactical rifle. I believe that some of these may have been non-cataloged items produced in limited quantities for specific distributors.

243 Winchester is pretty common in 700 Varmint variants, but twist rates may or may not be appropriate for the heaviest bullets.

I'm particularly interested in SKU#s <span style="font-weight: bold">and twist rates</span>.

I believe the original 700 BDL Varmint Special (24") was produced in 7mm-08 for some time and was popular with metallic silhouette shooters.

I have found SKU# 85561 for the 700 SPS Varmint (26") in 7mm-08.

I believe the 700 VLS (26") was offered in both 7mm-08 and 260. SKU#s unknown.

Re: Remington 700 Varmint Models in 7mm-08 and 260 ?

Here's a shot of a box end for a Rem 700 VLS in 7mm-08, belonging to a friend.

Remington7001.jpg

Twist rate on my VLS 7mm-08 in 1-9.25", circa 1997 build date by barrel date code, shown below in the original ad. Mine also has an E prefix serial number.

pix534860572.jpg

It is my understanding that the 7mm-08 VLS's were all built in the 1995 to 1998 timeframe.

Remington seems to have a real hard time making appropriate twist rates for target bullets in a target gun. Maybe that's why they call them varmint guns assuming the shooter will be using lighter bullets. For an off the shelf poor mans tactical rifle I'd suggest the savage 12 long range precision. Offering them in 260, 6.5 creedmor, and 243 with tight twists for heavy bullets and a HS precision stock out of the gate, I don't think a factory offering from Remington will beat it. That said, if future upgrading is the plan, my vote goes to the 700. I like the actions, triggers, and pretty much everything except the barrel better than Savage.

I had at one time a VLS in 260 that I ran as a target rifle. It performed decent with 130 vld's but I couldn't get the 140 class bullets to group respectably at all. I suspect that the 9 1/4" twist was most of the problem. Good luck in your search.

Thanks Bob! Any idea what the "5*" on the label might indicate? I'm thinking 1:9.25 twist should be fine if not optimal for most of the heavier bullets.

Also, what, if any, is the implication of the serial number prefix? My copy of Lacy's "The Remington 700" book only give information up to the "C" prefix (1987). If there is an online resource for such information that would be very helpful. I am particularly interested in which prefixes are considered desirable/undesirable and for what reasons.

Austan,
I agree that Savage is doing a much better job of offering such calibers with appropriate twists and a good reputation for accuracy. Also, the Savage action offers the advantage of user-replaceable barrels. However, I do not want this to turn into a Remington -v- Savage thread.

I have owned a few Remington 700s and am contemplating getting another chambered for a cartridge suitable for a long-range class and hopefully for hunting as well. I realize that the standard answer is .308 Winchester, but I am cursed with an analytical mind and wish to explore what other practical options might be available without having to seek out a rifle 'smith's help.

also the 7mm-08 was introduced in 1997 and the original stock was lamminated with a black ebony end cap. In 98 they did away with the end cap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aubrey</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 243 Winchester is pretty common in 700 Varmint variants, but twist rates may or may not be appropriate for the heaviest bullets. </div></div>

The 243 has a 9.125 twist and the 105 Amax and Berger VLD are working for me at 961 ASL, sending them around 2930 with lapua brass and H1000. All the ballistic computers suggest I am right at the edge to stability but so far they are working. Midwayusa reviews on the 107 smk say that bullet wont but I have not tried it, nor plan too as well as the Berger's are shooting.

I do keep seeing an occasional new 7mm-08 varmint pop up on gun broker...

I just bought a new 7mm-08 from 97 on gunbroker and also just bought a nib 308 from 1996 from cabelas both are very nice.

Well I don't know what the 5 means but ALL short action .473 bolt face 700 actions hold 4 rds, whether 22/250 or 308. Exception being the 40-XB repeaters which hold 5.

Secondly the first heavy barrel (24") 7/08's were introduced in the 80's with walnut(BDL) stocks and called 'Varmint Specials'. The VLS was the laminated stocks with 26" barrels made for a couple years in the mid 90's.

Have never heard 'exactly' why Remington changed letter prefix but the A prefix was added in 73-74ish when the anti bind rail was added to bolt and rear bridge height raised .017. B later 70's and C prefix 85-86. Guessing only someone at Remington may be willing to explain what significance the changes might mean.

What would be nice is if Remington made the 5R Milspec in 7mm-08, .260 Rem., and .243 Win.. I want the stainless action and barrel but do not want the fluted barrel, just don't care for it. They make the 700 VL SS Thumbhole stock but then I have to spend the money on a new stock. I'd like that barreled action in an HS Precision stock.