• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 vs. Savage FP series .308

nx302stang

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2008
I'm looking to build the best sniper rifle a working broke man can buy.

Pros and cons of both? I know for the $, Savage has better standard features, but and a remmy is a remmy!

Help me make up my mind please!

Thanks!

Re: Remington 700 vs. Savage FP series .308

let me be the first to greet you, WELCOME TO THE HIDE. now fill out your profile, and try the search function a time or two. but since i own a remmy im all for them

savage nerd here, if ur near frederick, md (my place) or mifflin pa(where i shoot) lemme know. ill letya try out my sons stock 10FP, and check out my savage pile, all assembled, tweaked and tuned at home w no speacial tooling req'd.

whichever u choose u might wanna hit the local walmarts, and ask them if they have the rifle ur lookin for in the back. my son picked up his 10FP this way, the 3rd walmart we checked at had one that had been in the back for a couple of years, and they hadnt updated the price. he got it out the door for under $500

I was recently making the same decision.

To me, as someone who doesn't have the $2000-4000 to dump into a custom r700, the savage came out as the best value out of the box. I picked up my 10fp w/HS Precision stock for $880 total (not a steal of a deal or anything) and the savages are all pretty much 3/4moa or better guns from the factory. To me, thats all one can ask for when it comes to <$1k rifles. At this point I'd rather spend more money on good glass than a rifle that shoots magnitudes better than I do. Once I've cought up to the savage in terms of skill level, I'll step up to one of the custom r700's most likely.

I am faced with this exact same dilemma. I have the itch for a new rifle and def want a .308. I have an old remmy 700 25-06 shoots good 3/4moa or better with the right ammo (if I do my part), savages are known for their accuracy out of the box. any experenced input would be most appreciated because I am definatly torn on this decision. 10fp or 700 sps??????

this subject seems done to death but ill throw 2 pennies in and say my nod goes to savage. ive owned both. traded off the remmy. now each rifle is an individual and results may vary but ive always been pleased with savage performance and thrift.

OK, I will venture an answer.

I have a savage model 12 in 308, pretty much the same gun as you are looking at. Paid 500 for a lighty used one and put a used Nikon 6x20x40 Monarch on it for 300.00. Inside of 500 yards it is my go to gun. Scary accurate for 800.00 stock gun and no tweaking. Sub 1/2 inch at 100 yards and sub 1 inch at 200 is no problem as long as I do my part.

Have a custom remmy 700 in 300 win mag. Hart barrel, McMillian stock etc. Leupold 6x20x40 on it. Total cost around 2500. It really shines past 500 yards. Scary accurate as well.

I believe your use of the firearm should drive your choice. Inside 500 yards I would go with the Savage and never look back. Over that distance, I believe a custom is the way to go.

Just my .02

Tha main complaint I hear from savage owners is the lack of a floorplate.

You can remady this with a good aftermarket stock, or add a badger magazine assembly to it, (highly reccomend)

The factory savages shoot as good if not a bit better than a factory remmy.

The savage factory bolt handle is sized perfectly already for tactical use.

Remmy needs help in this respect.

Buy the rifle that gets your nipples hard, and never look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaddyRat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, I will venture an answer.

I have a savage model 12 in 308, pretty much the same gun as you are looking at. Paid 500 for a lighty used one and put a used Nikon 6x20x40 Monarch on it for 300.00. Inside of 500 yards it is my go to gun. Scary accurate for 800.00 stock gun and no tweaking. Sub 1/2 inch at 100 yards and sub 1 inch at 200 is no problem as long as I do my part.

Have a custom remmy 700 in 300 win mag. Hart barrel, McMillian stock etc. Leupold 6x20x40 on it. Total cost around 2500. It really shines past 500 yards. Scary accurate as well.

I believe your use of the firearm should drive your choice. Inside 500 yards I would go with the Savage and never look back. Over that distance, I believe a custom is the way to go.

Just my .02</div></div> rat daddy your from the same area as I am Asheville NC, where do you go to get to shoot at distance???? you know local ranges have nothing to offer, please help????

im not too far from you guys, and after i get back from the sandbox i would love to get beyond 275

I too once came to this decision, i went with the Savage 10 FP! and if i could, i would probably do it again! its a great rifle out of the box...however mines for sale (so i can pay off a scope) and if i could keep it i would!

go with whatever one you like better though!

There is no wrong answer when choosing between a 10FP and a 700 SPS Tactical, they are both good guns and generally (with a few exceptions) they both shoot well right out of the box. The Remmy has more aftermarket support.

I ordered a remmy 700sps varmint .308 TODAY. $565 after tax at wally world. my best shooting buddy ordered a savage 10fp .308 At the same time $580 something after tax. Rifles due in next week, can't wait to see how they do. If he out shoots me with it after a few trips to the range i'll sell my remmy and buy a damn savage. will follow up......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisDellwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once I've cought up to the savage in terms of skill level, I'll step up to one of the custom r700's most likely. </div></div>

Wow, for real?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisDellwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Once I've cought up to the savage in terms of skill level, I'll step up to one of the custom r700's most likely. </div></div>

Wow, for real? </div></div>

Ha! I know right? I'll be a happy camper if I can hold 1 moa all the way to 1000 yds. 100 - 400 is doable for me but after that reading wind gets really hard.

OP,
I have both and I'm pretty happy with both. Buy either and start shooting.

There are more Savage related posts than ever and I'm becoming a fan for sure.
I just hope they remember where they came from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wow, for real? </div></div>

Perhaps my sarcasm detector is broken today
blush.gif
But did I miss something? A full custom rifle seems like the next step once I can shoot the savage to its full potential. No? It'll be years I'm sure...

Excuse my humble n00b'ness-

Sorry Chris. There's plenty of mud being slung around here without me adding to it.
To me at the time your comment sounded a little like mastering a 3/4 moa ford then stepping up to a chevy.
If you get to a level that a Savage isn't accurate enough for you (dang!), you may want to step up a little more than to a Remington.
Both rifles are quite capable and should be a good choice.
Both can be wicked accurate.
Remingtons have more status but a Savage is cool in it's own way.

Haha, gotcha. I can take some mud, no big deal. By stepping up of course I mean, stepping up to a custom GAP/surgeon/Tac Ops/Patriot/etc not necessarily a r700 based rifle, but something that will pretty much out shoot me for the rest of my natural life. 'Till that day comes my savage is as good as one could hope for-

Hello, I have three custom remmys and a win. Have always been a rem 700 guy. But I was intrigued by the ability to change barrels at home instead of paying a gunsmith to do it. So I purchased a M12 VLP in 22-250 1/9 as something to play with until I get a "good" barrel. This gun shoots lights out with the factory barrel. 10 shot groups at 100 have avg .60". I have been very impressed with my Savage and would recommend it to anyone. Is it better then the remmy, No. Equal, yes but being able to home gunsmith it is a plus.

I've also got the itch for a new .308, trying to decide between a 700 5R or the 10FCP (the one that comes with the McMilan A-5). From what I've seen advertised they are within $100 of each other.

Wow, a lot of Savage love here.

I own a 10FP, and have to admit there's a lot to like about it. It can shoot sub-MOA with the factory tube, although it fouls like crazy. I've never liked the blind magazine on my rifle, but I believe the newer ones can be had with a removable mag.

And the ability to change out the barrel with a modest investment of tooling, effort and expertise is very nice.

But my one experience with Savage customer service (and believe me, that's an oxymoron) really turned me off on the brand. They don't evince any desire to really help their customers, and even if you do enough begging and pleading to get them to agree to let you buy the part you need, actually getting the part from the factory is extremely slow.

Haven't had a chance to experience Remington's customer service, but it couldn't be any worse. Personally, I don't plan on buying any more Savages.