• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 VS, VLS, SPS or Tikka Varmint (223)

jimmiya

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
So Cal
I am stuck between these choices for purchasing a new bolt action rifle. Can someone help me out? I do want to get a Bell and Carlson Tactical/Varmint stock (Fully adjustable) down the road. I did notice that those Remington choices only come in 1/12" twist and I do not want to spend the time to look for a 700P (1/9" twist). I also noticed that the Tikka can come in a 1 in 8" twist but I canot find a B & C stock for it. Leaning towards a Remington 700 as there are more aftermarket parts for it and there is a SPS Varmint at the gun shop near me. If I get this would it be able to handle 60 - 75gr loads? PLEASE HELP ME IM GOING NUTS!! thanks.

Re: Remington 700 VS, VLS, SPS or Tikka Varmint (223)

I have a Tikka 223. You can get a custom stock for it if you so desired. But it's going to be somewhere around $750 dollars to do that. It may be something down the road that I would consider. I do like the fast twist of the Tikka. Also, it 's quite accurate out of the box.

Here is the link for the customed stock.

http://www.mpistocks.com/stocks.htm

They will do it for Tikka. Just need to ask them. Good luck.

In 223 I have a new 700 5R. Found a load with 52 Sierra Match Kings that shoots Very happy with it.
Had the same model and used as my first tactical type rifle with a Sierra 69 MK at 3000 fps. Awesome to 500 yds. and farther.
H S stock is nice too.
Heavy bullets need more consideration than twist alone. Chamber / mag compatibility for example.
5R in the HS stock and current stainless config. with a 120.00 Timney 510 trigger is a fair bet.
ETA these are 9tw.

Last edited:
The Tikka Varmint T3x .223 is one of the best value in rifles IMO

Bang for the buck you get an amazing rifle that shoots very well

the stock happens to fit my body perfectly so I'm keeping mine as is, but there are a number of customs stocks that will fit the action

I wouldn't buy a new Remington or Savage at this time.

ONLY issue is the factory magazine doesn't load long bullets well

has been very reliable with every factory round I've put through mine ~650 or so at this point

I would get a tikka. I did. I put it in a bell and Carlson M40 stock and opened up the bottom to accept an atlas works bottom metal for aics magazines. I have since put it in a manners T7 since then. I still have the Bell and Carlson and bottom metal ready to go. If you go that route and want the stock PM me and Ill sell you the stock for a good deal.

I have a Rem. 700 SPS Tac in .223 which comes with a 1:9 twist 20" barrel. I put it in a B&C stock and added a Timney 510 trigger and it shoots Hornady 68 gr. and 75 gr. BTHP's to 0.5MOA out to 300 yds. (furthest range I've shot at). I'm happy with mine. You certainly can't go wrong with the Tikka on the other hand, especially with the 1:8 twist barrel which will shoot some heavier pills than my Remington can.

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka. I Love mine, the only factory rifle I'd buy (besides a new FN model 70) . The 1/12 in a 223 will be a big limit on shooting long range and, on top of that, Remington's quality has seemed to be hit and miss with no chance of improving.
As for the stock; the plastic stocks are actually pretty solid, far better then the Tupperware on Savage and Remington. I could load my bipod way harder then necessary and it would not flex enough to touch the barrel.

Yes I've seen others run them on a plain T3. It even has a notes section in the ad for other Tikka T3 models. Only real question is what other bottom medal if not factory CTR..