• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 VS

joshua414

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2012
Jasper, TN
A buddy of mine is wanting to sell me his gently used Remington 700 VS. This gun is chambered in .308 and comes equipped with a H-S Precision stock, 26" barrel. He has priced the gun to me at $650. Is that a good price and would this be a good starter gun?

My other question is how much is the stock on this gun worth? I will sell it because I'm planning to upgrade to the Bell & Carlson Varmint/Tactical stock.

Re: Remington 700 VS

Given inflation and your description of "gently used" I'd say that is fair. That's about what I paid for mine in '96 (exact same model), and I'd wager $625 (what I paid) went a little further back then...

BTW, the VS I have, just plain shoots way better than a factory gun should...

That stock will kick though, as back then the "recoil pad" seemed (to me) to be recycled steel belted radial tires, rather than something to absorb recoil.

Ok so it sounds like I have a pretty good deal in a VS. How much can I sell that stock HS stock on it for? It will definitely help finance my scope and target stock

Joshua,

I'm not really sure, as mine is still hanging in the garage with all the other spare stocks I have accumulated over the years. I seem to recall the VS models were the early first generation HS Precision stocks. In fact, IIRC, they were the first mass produced synthetic stocked factory rifles with the full length aluminum bedding block. Not sure if they have changed much, but I'd imagine you could get something for it.

There's folks here who are much more experienced than I at that sort of thing. Perhaps they will chime in...

My VS in 223 was my best rifle. Lots of rounds and not picky. I also still like the stock configuration for my style shooting.
IM me if you want.

I have a rem 700 VS in .223 and it shoots excellent. I personally really like the HS stock that it comes in. It shoots several loads consistently less than .5 inch at 100 yards. Great rifle!

Great gun. Straight shooter. I have been shooting mine since 2002. $625 is fair money. I paid like $760 back then. Go for it. Oh....I would figure a couple hundred max for that factory stock in good condition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: calling4life</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About $200
Though swapping an HS for a B&C is a bit backwards to me...</div></div>

my thoughts exactly!