• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 VTR 308 review

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming
New American Rifleman has a good road test on the VTR . Sounds like a decent hunting rifle but no rifle that can only manage 1.68" 5 shot groups off a bench, with Black Hills Match, is going in my safe. A Savage Weather Warrior is cheaper and will meet or beat 1" with Match ammo.

Re: Remington 700 VTR 308 review

WHAT?
the triangular barrel, vented stock, and built in brake doesnt offer magically superior accuracy?!?

im clearly shocked.

Giggle! I too wondered how an asymmetrica barrel would be superior to a round one since the heat transfer would vary depending on the thickness of the barrel...but gee whiz...it's cool!
All I know is my wife's BOSS equipped BAR (you know obsolete 30-06, semi-auto, 2 piece stock, lousy trigger and Burris 1.5-5 1" tube scope w/o mildots) will put 5 of ANYTHING in an inch or less when the BOSS is tuned correctly.
Is that a 700 with a Redfield Olympic? Neat!

This thing is starting to pop up everywhere, every owner i talk to seems to agree though. GIMMICK

Snipercentral had a review as well and did a lot better than 1.68. Perhaps that one didn't like black hills?

I'll go as far as to say gimmick... Does this gun have a niche? maybe. I think its more marketing than anything. There is a sucker born every minute, and if he isnt capable of shooting sub moa he really doesnt care or know if the rifle is or could be sub moa.

I have talked to an owner of one who loaded some 155 scenars for it and claimed he shot some comfortable groups, sub moa, with it. He was happy with it.

IMO, over priced (what gun isn't?) I could see myself using it as a good truck gun for coyotes, something to bang around a little. It is the taurus 24/7 of accurate rifles.

Your point about overpriced is spot on. The new Marlin bolt gun with a +-$350 street price is guaranteed to shoot 1.5 MOA with factory loads. But it does have a round barrel and no holes in the stock.

Got one about 2 months ago and shoots 1moa nothing special but i like it. It feels good when i pull it up to shoot and will be a good deer gun. i looked at the marlin and did not like the feel. Not a super accurate rifle by any means but if that is what i wanted i would save up and have one built. I will admit i like how it looks and feels thats why i bought it.

From the Remington site:

<span style="font-style: italic">The tack-driving new Model 700™ Target Tactical rifle is a confluence of family traits borrowed from our world-class Model 700 tactical, target and varmint rifles that come together like five shots in one hole. With its triangular VTR barrel configuration and Bell & Carlson Medalist Varmint/Tactical stock, its looks are nearly as remarkable as its ability to print tiny groups. The 26" barrel has a 1/4" counter bored muzzle to protect the rifling and stabilize bullet flight.</span>

It's that dang triangle again, and it looks like the built in brake is gone. This MSRPs for like around $2000, I believe.

Just wanted to add the words "Hype" and "Marketing" to the established "Gimmick" descriptions already being used. I too could never understand how the triangle could disperse heat evenly, but hey, what do I know?

The good news is if you get one and it doesn't end up shooting as well as you'd like you can always have it tuned and re-barreled into a regular rem700. That's what I did.

I don't get why guys keep throwing good money after bad on 700s?
The Savage is a better out of the box rifle 100% of the time and costs less or the same. If you want a good Remington buy a 721 or 722... they were twice the rifle the 700 is. I have never owned one that was not a sub MOA rifle out of the box. Smoother action, better trigger, cut rifling, better finished and no pot metal parts. This ancient one with an equally ancient B&L scope in that totally obsolete (LOL) caliber 300 H&H will put 5 A Maxes in 1 hole at 3000 fps.
DSCN2022.jpg

I'm gonna buy one of the new Marlins as soon as the camo stock is available. It costs 1/2 the price of the Remington, looks like a 700 (nice) but has copied all the Savage accuracy features. Think of the optics upgrade I can buy with the $ I save and not have to true the action, get it bedded right (or a new stock).

pop_wm_1143956.jpg

Now here's a good 700. Cut rifle rebored to 400 H&H, SAKO extractor, new stock, new steel bottom metal, tuned trigger, muzzle brake. It will do 1.5 MOA with a 400 gr bullet @2600fps. About $3500 as it sits. Cheaper than a real H&H magnum mauser but still not a cheap rifle. A fun project but next time I'd buy the new Kimber in 450 Lott.

DSCN1124.jpg