• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 XCR Tactical vs. Cooper The Phoenix

Salmo22

Private
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2010
Arizona
I'm looking to get my son a quality 223 for his college graduation. I want something that has good accuracy out of the box, quality trigger/action/barrel/stock, and would serve as a good foundation for a future 223AI custom build.

Both these rifles seem like good candidates. What say ye? Pro & cons?

Re: Remington 700 XCR Tactical vs. Cooper The Phoenix

Tons more available for the remmy. Just something to consider.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CnC1018</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tons more available for the remmy. Just something to consider.</div></div>
CnC1018:

I'm not very familiar with the Cooper action and did not know if it was basically a 700 clone and would accept most of the myriad of aftermarket goodies available for the Remington. If it is not like the 700 action, then the XCR clearly has a leg-up when considering a future custom project.

Doesn't the XCR have that "V" shaped barrel? I was looking at the XCR Tactical LR online and saw that V barrel. For me... I just don't like the look of it. Other than that... I love the gun and wouldn't mind getting one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HEMI Driver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't the XCR have that "V" shaped barrel? I was looking at the XCR Tactical LR online and saw that V barrel. For me... I just don't like the look of it. Other than that... I love the gun and wouldn't mind getting one.</div></div>
Hemi Driver:

Looking at the Remington website again and it does not look like a "V" barrel. The website says, <span style="font-style: italic">"The barrel features wide tactical-style barrel fluting for rapid cooling"</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmo22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to get my son a quality 223 for his college graduation. I want something that has good accuracy out of the box, quality trigger/action/barrel/stock, and would serve as a good foundation for a future 223AI custom build.

Both these rifles seem like good candidates. What say ye? Pro & cons? </div></div>

The Phoenix is a single shot still isn't it ? My 204 Ruger,Cooper model 21 was a sub 1/2" rifle.It's to be rated a factory custom IMO.A step up from Rem 700.

Remington decided to mill giant slats in the sides of the barrel, which shape it vaguely like a triangle...

Its not the *full blown* triangle barrel you see on the SPS, but its still fairly triangular, but there are rounded sections between them.

As much as I dislike cooper (current presidential funds allocation... cough cough), i'd recommend them over remington. Theres a quality touch you can immediately feel with the Cooper that you sure as shit dont feel with the remi.

The tolerances are better, the action is machined better, the bolt is machined a hell of alot better, the action is actually bedded to the stock, the action uses 3 lugs, so its only a 60* bolt throw.

Cooper's are all sent with a laminated target showing the distance/brass/powder/bullet load, and a cloverleaf grouping.

But if you're getting into this price tag, i'd start looking at a custom action build

The XCR Tactical is fluted the same style as the LTR. It also has a 40X trigger and a 9 twist barrel. You could easily have the barrel punched out to 223AI.

I've got 4 Coopers and had another. The 6ppc was just a little wonky. The .223, .22-250, .22PPC, and 6.5x284 (amazing rifle) are all almost 1 hole rifles, with the .223 being a 1 hole gun at 100 with just about everything I feed it. It really is impressive. I hadn't realized that Cooper donated to Obummer (I'll have to look that up) if so it pisses me off but they sure do make a hell of a good shooting rifle and they have good customer service to boot. YMMV, but I am sure impressed with them.

The ONLY downside I can see with the Coopers is a general lack of fast twist barrels. If its a graduation present, get him something out of the ordinary, get him the Cooper.

They sure do shoot!

What type of rifle are you looking for? Varminter, Sporter or Tactical?
If it's a varminter and you dont mind a single shot, I would look for a Phoenix M-21 in 223 AI right off the bat.Good fit, quality trigger,barrel etc. I have a 1/2 dozen Coopers and they are all they say they are.
COOPER 223AI

For a tactical I would opt for a 700 flavored 223 of your choice and shoot it. In the future, sell off the barrel and stock and use the action for your custom build. I recently did just that and will have a nice 223AI when it gets back from Short Action Customs.

M4-Pilot, I too have a M22 in 6.5x284 and it's a laser, though it's barrel is a bit slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: el gordo2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of rifle are you looking for? Varminter, Sporter or Tactical?
If it's a varminter and you dont mind a single shot, I would look for a Phoenix M-21 in 223 AI right off the bat.Good fit, quality trigger,barrel etc. I have a 1/2 dozen Coopers and they are all they say they are.
COOPER 223AI
</div></div>
Hey Gordo2:

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking for a varminter and the more research I do keeps me coming back to The Phoenix. Their barrel is a 1:14 twist, which is perfect for the bullets we use for coyotes/predators. Now don't get me wrong, I love custom sticks as much as the next fellow; however, it would seem that this may be the best "out of the box" rifle (both accuracy & quality) that I've found to date. Just slap a good scope on top and a guy would be good to go.

Salmo22, Glad to shed some light. I sent my wood stocked 25-06 back to Cooper and had them install the Phoenix (B&C)stock on it and am quite happy with it. I dont have to baby it.

120gr Sierra HPBT's at 3100+ fps.
25-06cooper.jpg

If I was looking at a Remiongton primarily for varmint work, I'd look at the 700 VSSF.
Of course Tikka and CZ make a fine varmint rifle also.