• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700

jd243

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2023
Pennsylvania
Has any one seen the "new" remington 700's that have the timney triggers and threaded muzzle on the varmint models? Are the same as the old varmint models besides trigger and muzzle threads ?

Wonder who/how they are making the barrels.....surely they didn't take the worn out tooling from Illion... or did they?

Wonder who/how they are making the barrels.....surely they didn't take the worn out tooling from Illion... or did they?
Seeing as to how EVERY 700 (all models) are now 5R rifled, and they claim the headspace on all of them is now within 0.0005” thanks to CNC vs. manually-controlled variances, so they can now use standardized prefits on them… I’d naturally assume they weren’t even using the same tooling since reopening.

Not a varmint 700, but a new Remarms ADL 7mm RM I stuffed into a KRG Bravo. The Timney Impact non adjustable trigger breaks at 3lbs 12oz. I'm just fire forming the brass and had 32 rounds down the tube with the three round group.
1710980641444.jpeg
1710980719630.jpeg

Not a varmint 700, but a new Remarms ADL 7mm RM I stuffed into a KRG Bravo. The Timney Impact non adjustable trigger breaks at 3lbs 12oz. I'm just fire forming the brass and had 32 rounds down the tube with the three round group.
View attachment 8377662View attachment 8377663
If you can get your hands on some old stock IMR 7977 or a jug of Winchester StaBall HD you could really up those velocities safely with those heavy 180's. I used to run RL22 a long time ago (probably still got 6-7 lbs collecting dust 😂), and it was never really temp stable for me, so I bought a ton of 7977 (before they stopped making it) and still use that stash for my magnums. But I also have an 8 lb'er of StaBall HD to work up for my larger magnums so I won't use up all my 7977.

I really wish IMR/Hodgdon would start making 7977 again with the original recipe. It was the best magnum powder I've ever used. Single-digit ES and SD numbers in just about everything I've loaded it in. That was one of those "unicorn powders" that they just nailed the recipe on. Shame they stopped making it because of the goddamn Ukraine money laundering experiment that everyone in Europe is sending all their powder, primers, and brass to. 🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: xsn10s
If you can get your hands on some old stock IMR 7977 or a jug of Winchester StaBall HD you could really up those velocities safely with those heavy 180's. I used to run RL22 a long time ago (probably still got 6-7 lbs collecting dust 😂), and it was never really temp stable for me, so I bought a ton of 7977 (before they stopped making it) and still use that stash for my magnums. But I also have an 8 lb'er of StaBall HD to work up for my larger magnums so I won't use up all my 7977.

I really wish IMR/Hodgdon would start making 7977 again with the original recipe. It was the best magnum powder I've ever used. Single-digit ES and SD numbers in just about everything I've loaded it in. That was one of those "unicorn powders" that they just nailed the recipe on. Shame they stopped making it because of the goddamn Ukraine money laundering experiment that everyone in Europe is sending all their powder, primers, and brass to. 🙄🙄🙄
I have some Staball HD but wasn't too concerned about the velocities right now. I took that load out to 800 yards this winter at the range. But now BLM lands have ended their hunting seasons and so I'll be testing it out to a mile. I'm having too much fun shooting my 260 AI to get to my 7mm RM.

Reactions: FuhQ
Given how my rifle shoots I'd say the new varmint models will be pretty good. Like stated earlier all the new Remarms rifles have 5R rifling. The short actions already have the ramps cut out for seating out to 2.950" from what others have reported. I wish I got the .223 also since it also has a 1-8" twist barrel. Time will tell but some features are an improvement. The only thing I've seen that's a step back was the jeweling on the bolt. It's a joke. But I'll over look that when a rifle shoots as good as mine.

ADL Varmint should be in the $670 range. A stainless SF varmint probably close to $1100. The prices got bumped up in the beginning of 2024.

There are just too many other really good options out there for me to go back to 700's. The new 700's seem to be shooting well based on what I've seen on the Nosler site. Guys have been pretty happy with them.

Been thinking about getting a new 700 to do another "budget" friendly build
That why I bought a new Remarms 700. I got the ADL because I knew I'd want a different stock. There aren't many factory rifles out there that I wouldn't change the stock right off the bat. And if the new tolerances prove to be consistent and tight then this will be the cheaper option to a Tikka.

That's my plan. Pick up a varmint adl swap the stock and add a dbm. Last 700 varmint I picked up shoots great after a stock change

Reactions: xsn10s