• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700P .300WM - DBM upgrade standard LA or CIP?

S12A

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Australia
G'day all,

Just chasing some info here,

I have a 700P in .300WM coming my way, looking at upgrading so I can run AICS mags or similar,

I am looking at this company and these products as they are in Australia:

LINK TO DBM

The CIP version:

LINK TO CIP DBM

So basically I have no options locally to send the rifle to a gunsmith, I have basic skills so minor fitting won't be an issue. These do state they should be close to a drop in fit for a BDL setup, so no issues there.

Question: Is a CIP length DBM going to be the same inlet as the standard LA?

Objectively I can see that it should need a larger opening to allow the longer CIP mags, but hoping I am wrong!

It is not a huge deal to me if I cant run the CIP mags, would just be nice.

Thanks for any help.

It should be relatively close, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a 1/4” round rasp (or a milling machine) on hand.

Reactions: S12A
The CIP chassis', like a KRG X-Ray or Bravo, are a drop in fit - no inletting required.

BDM into a regular stock will most likely require minor fitting. Go slow, removing very little material. It's time consuming and tedious but the end result will be much better. It's VERY easy to remove too much and end up with a gap......ask me how I know, lol.

Definitely go the CIP route, especially if you plan to shoot heavy bullets.

Best of luck!!

i run an accurate mag set up cip length and love it able to load 220s at or in the lands if needed i had less inletting to do than when i ran a magpul short action kit on a bdl conversion if that helps you any. i traced out line with a sharpie and mounted stock in a vise for steady rest took many small cuts checking for fit as needed maybe 30 minutes from start till clean up and re assembled

Reactions: S12A and smoooth1
How much material did you remove from the mag box area of the stock or was your inletting just for fit of the floorplate area?

caution on the atlas worx.
I bought one thinking it would be similar to most other DBMs in fitting (short action)
A friend of mine is a gunsmith, he runs cnc machines in his shop. We inletted for the M5 pattern that he has programmed into his mill (and he has inletted hundreds of stocks)
No luck, mags wouldn't feed.
We ended up going deeper, trying to get the bottom metal close enough to the action to feed. Again, no luck. The magazine sits too low in the DBM. We tried AICS, Accurate and magpul mags.
I am now the proud owner of a useless atlas worx dbm and a useless stock.
Luckily, the stock was not an expensive one, but it was still a stock equipped with an aluminum bedding block.

Thanks for the heads up mate, I will have a look elsewhere. The one I am looking at isnt an M5 inlet, it's supposed to be close to BDL inlet with minor fitting, but thats no good if the mags dont feed!

i would like to get hold of the HS precision set but thats nearly impossible in Australia, the next is PTG who do a BDL style inlet DBM . They are hard to get too but there is at least one decent importer.

How much material did you remove from the mag box area of the stock or was your inletting just for fit of the floorplate area?
if your asking me 95 % of my inletting was to accomidate the floor plate area maybe a touch in the corners of mag box area and minor on the sides if any

I bought one thinking it would be similar to most other DBMs in fitting (short action)
A friend of mine is a gunsmith, he runs cnc machines in his shop. We inletted for the M5 pattern that he has programmed into his mill (and he has inletted hundreds of stocks)
No luck, mags wouldn't feed.
We ended up going deeper, trying to get the bottom metal close enough to the action to feed. Again, no luck. The magazine sits too low in the DBM. We tried AICS, Accurate and magpul mags.
I am now the proud owner of a useless atlas worx dbm and a useless stock.
Luckily, the stock was not an expensive one, but it was still a stock equipped with an aluminum bedding block.

I have run into this problem before. The simple solution is to get a longer mag release. That is the part that sets the mag height inside the DBM.

Reactions: larryh128 and S12A
Why not send the stock away and have it inlet properly or sell off the factory H-S and look at a krg bravo or chassis.
The cost difference will be marginal

The answer to the first question is in the OP.
The second is irrelevant .
Thanks for the input though.

Reactions: M338
I have an atlas worx dbm that I inlet by hand for a LA HS precision. I had some trouble getting mags to work and ended up having to shorten the mag release on the inside by a touch. Just knocked a little off with a flat file and it was good to go. Definitely a decent budget friendly option in my opinion. Just be careful with inlet work. I used a Dremel and round file and the stock looks ugly. Functional but ugly. I keep meaning to go back and bed the dbm and paint the stock but it hasn’t happened yet. Good luck!

Thanks mate, should be right then . I guess I will try the standard length Atlasworxs

Thanks mate, should be right then . I guess I will try the standard length Atlasworxs

Here are some pictures of mine. If you look at the third picture you can see inside the mag well. That is where I trimmed the mag release.

Attachments

• 7DB9AE07-9740-4B9A-AC4C-52872562785D.jpeg
    7DB9AE07-9740-4B9A-AC4C-52872562785D.jpeg
    588.7 KB · Views: 44
  • B4BA8617-26DA-4AC3-B12E-4DEFAF6D3347.jpeg
    B4BA8617-26DA-4AC3-B12E-4DEFAF6D3347.jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 49120A8A-414A-4D64-922E-91926FCC437E.jpeg
    49120A8A-414A-4D64-922E-91926FCC437E.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the pics mate , that’s the standard model so it’s good to know that it didn’t require much work, the elite should be a bit less hopefully