• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700p barrel change

cgmaster1

Captain
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2006
Gulf Coast Mississippi
I was wondering if I should bother changing the barrel on my 700p. I have fired under 200rds through it and it fires .5moa all day long and have had some better grouping using handloads. Currently I use m118lr and FGMM 175 factory ammo through it.

I like the idea of being able to clean it easier and would like to have better accuracy. It is a bitch to clean this rifle beacuse of copper fouling and I hate cleaning.

The only thing I have done to this rifle is put it in a different stock and install an M5 bottom metal. I havent even bedded it yet because I was going to wait until I rebarreled it. It shot well enough that I ended up using it.

Re: Remington 700p barrel change

A few things to consider. I have "fixed" things that were not broken, and wished I would have left them alone. In addition, I would not clean the rifle until accuracy starts to drop off. It sounds like you have a great barrel and it can shoot. I would enjoy the rifle while you have it.

But if you do decide to get rid of the barrel.........haha

Leave it... Sounds like it's a shooter so why mess with a good thing just so you can have an easier cleaning barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cgmaster1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the idea of being able to clean it easier and would like to have better accuracy. It is a bitch to clean this rifle beacuse of copper fouling and I hate cleaning.
</div></div>

Your first problem is the fact that you are cleaning with only 200 rounds through it. STOP CLEANING THE BORE.

With 200 rounds your rifle is just starting to settle in.

Leave it alone. Shoot more, clean less.

I'd leave it. Plenty of rifles that shoot poorly out there to re-barrel. Or save up your money for more stuff while you shoot this barrel out.

As for cleaning, if you haven't tried WipeOut and the accelerator, try it. Makes for much easier cleanup. A little JB Bore bright on a tight patch will help to smooth things out - just remember to clean it all out of the barrel and chamber before shooting.

".5 MOA all day long" (with factory ammo) and you want to change something? Buy more ammo and shoot the crap out of the rifle.

Good luck

Jerry

First thing stop cleaning it. Stop worrying about copper you see. Clean only when accuracy drops off and then concentrate on the carbon before you even begin to worry about copper.

Don't spend the money if your barrel is shooting .5. How much better accuracy do you expect in a tactical/field rifle just by changing the barrel?

Save your money for more ammo.

Only reason i changed mine is because i caught a good deal on a Lilja, i figured it couldn't shoot worse and would clean a hell-a lot quicker.

Concider youself luky to shoot.5MOA. Guns that cost 2-3x more only guarantee 1MOA. A custom barrel change will put you in the same area as far as group size goes. If you want smaller groups, take your time between shots and concentrate on trigger and sight control. Or buy a benchrest rifle. Shoot more clean less.