• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700P in 6.8spc

Ajax2112

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
What do you guys think about a Remington 700P in 6.8 spc? I found one locally for what I think is an amazing deal but I'm unsure of the caliber choice. I was looking at a new SPS tactical in 308 and the salesmen showed me the used 700p 6.8 which he said he could sell me for the same price.

Thanks in advance for your input

Re: Remington 700P in 6.8spc

IF you want a 6.8 then get it. It's not a really common chambering so ammo will be more difficult to find and likely more expensive than say a .308. Also, if you're planning on longer range shooting I don't think 6.8 is the best choice.

Buying a used rifle for the price of a new one isn't that great of a deal in my opinion. Especially if you don't know how much it was shot.

The only real difference in the SPS tac and the 700p is the stock. That's an easy upgrade to make and you can select the stock of your choice.

Good luck!

6.8 SPC was developed to help the AR platform with down range performance. Look at external ballistics of both it and the 308 before deciding.

OFG

Thanks for the advice. I already have a 6.8 spc 16inch on a AR and I think it works well in that platform and I have plenty of ammo on hand. That is why I thought I should consider the 700P.
The truth is I really want a 308 because of the long range performance of the round. When I saw the 700P in the 6.8 I kind of got mesmerized by the fact it was a 700P and figured it was a better deal. After I posted this thread I began researching and discovered it would be cheaper to buy the SPS and change the stock out then it would be to change a barrel. Especially if I can find a used stock in the classified section. I think I'm going to stick with my original plan and buy the SPS Tactical unless you guys think I should go after a SPS Varmint because it has a longer barrel.

Both the tactical and the varmint isn't going to have a good stock. They both have the same twist, only difference is barrel length. Obviously you'll get a little more velocity out of a longer barrel You can always shorten a barrel, but not vice versa. Which ever one you decide to go with will be a good choice.