• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700P or Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec?

Johnson184

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
After doing a lot of reading, I'm still confused as to which rifle I should get. I plan on shooting 168grain FGMM ammo. (I got a good deal on 1000 rounds) It seems that the 5R trumps the 700P with 175grain loads, but what about for 168grain loads?

Re: Remington 700P or Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnson184</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After doing a lot of reading, I'm still confused as to which rifle I should get. I plan on shooting 168grain FGMM ammo. (I got a good deal on 1000 rounds) It seems that the 5R trumps the 700P with 175grain loads, but what about for 168grain loads? </div></div>

i don't think the 5r trumps shit. i have shot both and find no real difference with either load. ymmv

I have no complaints out of my 5R, I have only put 40 rounds of Federal Premium 168 BTHP through it. At 100 and 200 yards it shoots groups the size of a nickel. At 300 yard which is he extent I have shot it yet, they open opened up a tad. I will be putting some hand loads through it this weekend and will be posting a range report afterward. I am by no means an expert, but I haven't heard anything about the 700P that would not lead me to believe it wouldn't do the same.

With the 5R you pay more for a stainless steel barreled action and that's it. The 5 grooves are probably better in theory, but that's the kind of thing you would just add to the quote when ordering a custom barrel. In the long run, I'd say the fact that it's stainless makes the 5R the winner but there's a better option than all those.

Buy a SPS Varmint for $550.00.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=135197199

Then go on midway and pick up the 700P stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=293581

HS Precision also has them, but for $350.00

The total comes up to under $900.00. A new 700P or 5R is gonna run you $1000.00. You could even get a McMillan tactical stock of your choice for $500.00 and come out at about $1050.00; way more gun already than a 5R.

I know people tell stories about these different rifles and their idiosyncrasies, but when you get down to it, you're dealing with micro adjustments to...the Remington 700. I've read range reports from guys shooting stock 700 SPS Varmints after being pillar bedded and getting the same half inch groups they'd get off the 700Ps. These are all basically factory 700s with either good or bad stocks.

Here's a Sniper Central review on the SPS Varmint:
http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

5R's tend to group better than any stock PSS I have shot. Mine grouped in the .3's at 100 and .5-.7's at 200 yards with 155 Scenars. Plus I like the 24" barrel on the 5R better than the 26" on the PSS/SPS Varmint, which most would agree is overkill for a .308

But its your money, do as you please.

I'm happy with my 700P, especially after bedding it.

If I do my job it can easily hit in the .3's.

But that is with 178gr A-Max/Horn Brass/RE15.

Back before I reloaded I shot around 200 rounds of 175 FGMMs and easily hit in the .5's.

Hope this helps.

My 700PSS is fine and shoots out to 400 well. 45 Varget, 175SMK, Win case, Fed 210 primers or Win primers get it done nicely at an average 2700fps.

As stated above I would go with the SPS Varmint, and put it in a McMillan A2 to keep cost down. Remember, the base and rings will run you around $200+ and the scope, welll, that may run as much as the gun if you cry hard at first, or you will pay for many depending on how you knock it around on the range or in competition, in other owrds, a cheap scope will cost you several times as they break, but a good one will hurt at first, but be there for a long time

probably me but I started with a 700p and a NF 5.5-22X56. It shot as good as my GAP and my Longshot Riles guns. Like I said, probably the shooter.

I prefer the 5r,stainless barrel instead of carbon steel as used in the 700p.its at a nice 24" intead of the long 26" on the police model.I prefer the 5r!The 5r and 700p are both great rifles out of the box they should both shoot 168 and 175s very well.

I have nothing but good to say about my 5R. I like the stock better than the one on to 700P and I also prefer the 24" barrel.

If I were you, I'd check both out and see which one feels better to you. Difference in accuracy with either 168 or 175 will probably be unnoticeable.

Personally, I shoot the 5R better than my friends PSS, but I'm sure it's because it's my gun and I'm used to it.

I own a 5R and SPS Tac. I've also shot several 700Ps, and will be willing to say that there really isn't much difference in accuracy at all.

The pluses for the 5R for me is that it is stainless, 24" barrel (26 is way too long for a .308), and the barrel cleans in half the time.