• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700P or Savage 110 Precision recommendation?

snakebitten

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2020
Sunshine State
Looking to purchase a rifle for 600+ yards target shooting. I have the option to purchase a slightly used Remington 700P ($1100) 26" fluted barrel or new Savage 110 Precision MDT chassis 24" barrel ($1285) both in 308.

Which would be best for a beginner long range shooter? Thanks for all comments!

Coming from someone that's shot various Remingtons, Savages, Howa, FN's, etc...Tikka T3X is the way to go fo sho. It's a better gun out of the box overall in terms of quality, accuracy, trigger feel, the only downside is the non-existent customer service on Beretta's part. That being said, many smiths know how to work on them now and there are numerous aftermarket parts options now so I don't see that as a deal breaker.

1702146754137.jpeg

Reactions: snakebitten
I'm a die hard remington 700 fan. But your gonna have to dump money into it more then likely to make it shoot.
I've got a 700 Police model and I've had a 700 SPS varmint model.
They all have ridiculously long throats. I'm loading 178's at nearly 3 inches just to have a 20 thousands jump.

Get a tikka

My own experience only includes Remington, Savage, and Ruger.

The 700P was very good, but Remington quality was spotty.

The Savage 110 (over a decade past), was also excellent.

The Ruger 77 Mk II 308 was my most preferable.

My current goto LR 308 is a Savage 11VT with a Choate Stock, and adjustable cheek piece. The package scope and mounts were below par, and I replaced them. This rifle does all I ask of it.

Greg

Last edited:
i forgot say I have had my Howa 1500 in an MDT ACC chassis in 6.5 Creedmoor out to 1,205 yards with 140 grain Hornady ELD-M and the only modification I did to it was clip 3/4 a coil off of the factory trigger spring which lightened the pull to 1.5lbs.

-Stan

Like others have said, Tikka over those two, better factory trigger, smooth bolt, barrels can be on the slower side but are accurate. I have three Tikka's, one savage and no remingtons.

One potential advantage of the Remington, or new Remarms Remington 700 is the feed ramp is already cutout for binderless AICS mags. I haven't confirmed it but a LRH member did. All the barrels are now 5R. A Varmint ADL is around $600, add a KRG Bravo for $400. And the new 308 Win barrels are 1-10" twist. It should come with the new Impact Timney trigger. My 7mm RM ADL did and it breaks at 3lbs 12oz.

Reactions: Dirty D
One potential advantage of the Remington, or new Remarms Remington 700 is the feed ramp is already cutout for binderless AICS mags. I haven't confirmed it but a LRH member did. All the barrels are now 5R. A Varmint ADL is around $600, add a KRG Bravo for $400. And the new 308 Win barrels are 1-10" twist. It should come with the new Impact Timney trigger. My 7mm RM ADL did and it breaks at 3lbs 12oz.
Almost a 4 lb trigger, my tikka's are about 2 lbs, with a spring change it's less if you want it lower. All my tikka's have bottom metal that uses AICS mags. Manners, XLR chassis, German Gun Stock.

Almost a 4 lb trigger, my tikka's are about 2 lbs, with a spring change it's less if you want it lower. All my tikka's have bottom metal that uses AICS mags. Manners, XLR chassis, German Gun Stock.
Aftermarket stocks, what were the prices of your stocks?

So far the fastest 308 Win twist on a Tikka is 1-11". I'd rather have a 1-10" or faster. Also the closest barrel length to compare to the Remington (26") or Savage (24") is the Tikka T3 Super Varmint .308 win (23.7") which is $1499 @ Eurooptics. I could add a Geiselle trigger to the Remington and still be $200 cheaper.

What drove me away from considering a Tikka, and towards the Howa was:

1. Tikka requires a pin of some kind to disassemble:

2. Tikka has a removable bolt handle, which to me is just one more thing that can go wrong.

3. There are no Tikka stocks that I like, so no matter what I buy I am paying for something I don’t need.

4. Beretta customer service has a bad reputation.

YMMV.

-Stan

Reactions: xsn10s
I’d buy neither of those. That Remington is going to most likely be production under freedom group which was spotty at best, and salvage is just trash.

I’d second the suggestion for buying a new rem arms rifle and dropping it into a KRG with a Triggertech for the same money. I’d do it in 6.5 Creedmoor though, there’s absolutely no reason to buy a 308 these days unless it’s just an incredibly good deal or you have a pile of 308 match ammo laying around. 6.5 kicks it’s ass ballistically while being more pleasant to shoot.

My own experience only includes Remington, Savage, and Ruger.

The 700P was very good, but Remington quality was spotty.

The Savage 110 (over a decade past), was also excellent.

The Ruger 77 Mk II 308 was my most preferable.

My current goto LR 308 is a Savage 11VT with a Choate Stock, and adjustable cheek piece. The package scope and mounts were below par, and I replaced them. This rifle does all I ask of it.

Greg
Greg, I had a Choate yeeeears ago and holy shit it was heavy and clunky. Get a Savage Bravo Chassis
They are $399 and better in every way than the Choate.

2. Tikka has a removable bolt handle, which to me is just one more thing that can go wrong.

3. There are no Tikka stocks that I like, so no matter what I buy I am paying for something I don’t need.

YMMV.

-Stan

I like the Howa also. It's too bad that Beretta's CS has a bad rep, I've not experienced that. I like the Howa's bolt angle/ location. It just feels faster to me. I also like it's extractor. Really you can't go wrong with any of the rifles mentioned imo. I just prefer my Remingtons.

YMMV.

-Stan

So you don't like Manners, Mcmillan, greyboe, german gun stock, mesa XLR, KRG, Woox, PSE, MDT, bell and carlson, or boyds stocks, not to mention a few chassis options? I probably missed some in there. Never had an issue with the rifles I own, changed bolt handles, and disassembly isn't that difficult. One is on the second barrel so it's had more than a few rounds through it shooting matches. I don't really worry about their customer service, just like I don't worry about it with an impact or origin action.

Looking to purchase a rifle for 600+ yards target shooting. I have the option to purchase a slightly used Remington 700P ($1100) 26" fluted barrel or new Savage 110 Precision MDT chassis 24" barrel ($1285) both in 308.

Which would be best for a beginner long range shooter? Thanks for all comments!
Neither for that money... Get a custom barred action from PVA in your choice of caliber, for only $1,099 and buy any Remington 700 stock/chassis of your choice, and an R700 clone TriggerTech Special, and call it day.

So you don't like Manners, Mcmillan, greyboe, german gun stock, mesa XLR, KRG, Woox, PSE, MDT, bell and carlson, or boyds stocks, not to mention a few chassis options? I probably missed some in there. Never had an issue with the rifles I own, changed bolt handles, and disassembly isn't that difficult. One is on the second barrel so it's had more than a few rounds through it shooting matches. I don't really worry about their customer service, just like I don't worry about it with an impact or origin action.

The brands you mentioned aren’t Tikka stocks — they are that brand’s stock inletted for a Tikka.

See the difference?

I didn’t like that I had to buy a Tikka with a factory stock, knowing I was going to throw the factory stock away, to buy something better.

With the Howa I can buy just the barreled action.

-Stan

Reactions: xsn10s