• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 720 ???

jc98ss

Swansonisms
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2010
Middle TN
I posted this in the bolt action rifle section and didn't get much response, so I thought I'd try here. A couple of nights ago, I picked up a pretty nice old rifle. It's a Remington 720, i know they're quite rare, but I don't know not much else about them. I did read that they're highly sought after for custom builds. The action on this thing locks up tight, so I can see why. Were they meant to be sniper rifles, since they were made at a time when the M1 Garand was the go-to infantry weapon? What would you do with it? The previous owner had a professional gunsmith drill and tap the action, also the open sights were removed. Here's a few pics.
IMAG0742.jpg

IMAG0741.jpg

IMAG0749.jpg

IMAG0745.jpg

Re: Remington 720 ???

Very nice looking rifle

thanks, I listed it on gunbroker since i'm really wanting a long range rig.....i guess i was kind of hoping someone here would talk me out of selling it

Besides being drilled and tapped the rear bolt sleeve has been polished. It should have a blue finish. Yes the sights have been removed. I almost wonder if the barrel has been replaced? I see no dog leg hump on the barrel where the rear sight would be installed. Are there any Rem. proof marks on the right side of the barrel? Looks like stock has been refinished?

About a 1000 of these guns made it to commercial sales before Gov't stepped in and took over all remaining guns into they're inventory because of WW2. Those guns ended up becoming Navy Trophy rifles.

Approx. 2500 guns where produced. Again approx. 1000 went to commercial sales, approx. 1000+ to trophy rifles. The rest where kinda damaged and where stripped for parts etc...nobody really knows the exact amount that are out there because of that.

I'll watch the auction. Nice rifle!

Having the sights off and being drilled and tapped and if barrel has been replaced is going to hurt the value some.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

this was most certainly one of the 1,000 commercial rifles.....it doesn't have the "cross cannon" proof markings on the stock like trophy rifles do.....it also doesn't have the engravings on the floorplate like the trophy rifles that verify which competition it was won in.
the barrel is original and has all of the same markings that i've viewed from other 720 examples online.
of course if it were in 100% original condition it would be worth a little more, but the mods are tastefully done and this rifle is a very nice 70 year old shooter that anyone could enjoy......i believe the stock was refinished at one time, the sheen is even and it has no real scratches to speak of.....the metal Remington buttplate looks great......1 of 2500 is rare, but this one is 1 of the 1000 rifles that made it to the civilian market before they were locked down by the military.

here are a few extra pics off the action/barrel out of the stock
720-2.jpg

720-3.jpg

720-5.jpg

720-4.jpg

720-6.jpg

720-1.jpg

I see you got that thing sold for a decent price. From what I can see, you've got an original barrel. But, I don't have a list of Remington proofs. The coding on the right side is generally proofs, but the BL would date the rifle (barrel) at Jan of 1942. That's usually on the left side though.

FWIW, my Dad's .257 Roberts, didn't have a bulge in the barrel but mine did. Those were in model 722's though. I've seen Model 30's with and without bulges in the barrel too.

It's a really nice rifle. The best rifle IMO Remington ever built. Disappointing to let them go sometimes. Really disappointing when you can't bid on them...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see you got that thing sold for a decent price. From what I can see, you've got an original barrel. But, I don't have a list of Remington proofs. The coding on the right side is generally proofs, but the BL would date the rifle (barrel) at Jan of 1942. That's usually on the left side though.

FWIW, my Dad's .257 Roberts, didn't have a bulge in the barrel but mine did. Those were in model 722's though. I've seen Model 30's with and without bulges in the barrel too.

It's a really nice rifle. The best rifle IMO Remington ever built. Disappointing to let them go sometimes. Really disappointing when you can't bid on them... </div></div>
i kind of thought it would go for a little bit more, but that's ok......someone will enjoy it....in person, if you look very closely, you can see where the original sights were on the barrel, but it's very faint.....i sort of hate to let it go, the action is superb, but i've got a crush on a long range rig, so this will help fund it.....i can only imagine what it'll be worth in another 20 years or so.

jc98ss,

I was trying to be diplomatic about what it sold for. 'Decent' meant better than $1k. If it didn't at least go for that, somebody STOLE it. I like to see the prices stay reasonable, but that's a really great rifle. The best part of it is though is someone who wants it for shooting and not as a wallhanger.

I've seen a 'mint' one go for close to $3500. The story was it was in a box up in the attic of an old hardware store and got left behind something, and it took 60 years of accumulated junk and cleaning (the eventual shutdown of the family business), to find it again. Good thing it was out West and didn't rust.

FWIW, I knew several old-timers who've said that was the only rifle Remington made better than Winchester. Not my opinion, just what I've heard. I haven't seen that many, that I know of.

The model 720 has been called the Cadillac of the 1917 Enfield series of rifles. Has a bolt guide rib machined as part of the bolt, improved firing pin/lock time as well. It was also built to compete against the Model 70 Winchester. Ive gotta say the one I have for a factory built gun has one of the smoothest bolt feel, camming and lock up I've ever seen. I wish they had made more of them.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jc98ss,

I was trying to be diplomatic about what it sold for. 'Decent' meant better than $1k. If it didn't at least go for that, somebody STOLE it. I like to see the prices stay reasonable, but that's a really great rifle. The best part of it is though is someone who wants it for shooting and not as a wallhanger.

I've seen a 'mint' one go for close to $3500. The story was it was in a box up in the attic of an old hardware store and got left behind something, and it took 60 years of accumulated junk and cleaning (the eventual shutdown of the family business), to find it again. Good thing it was out West and didn't rust.

FWIW, I knew several old-timers who've said that was the only rifle Remington made better than Winchester. Not my opinion, just what I've heard. I haven't seen that many, that I know of. </div></div>
nah, it's cool sandwarrior.....i'm not sensitive or upset about what it sold for....you're right 1K is a decent price, it has been refinished and is missing the sights....i would love for Remington to make a batch of 720 actions......could you imagine one of these with a Krieger slinging 6.5's......i know it won't happen, but that would be tits