• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 720

mattt

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2010
northern California
I have a old 720 30.06 with a lyman 2.5 post ret on it. Does anybody else have one of these. I am shooting it for the first time tomorrow looks like a shooter.

Re: remington 720

Nice rifles. Made during WWII From 1941-1944 You could get them in 30-06, .270 Win and .257 Roberts. Pretty much a modified Model 30 (upgraded civilian version of the U.S. Model of 1917)

First, let me say I'm not a collector. So all rifles are shooters to me.

With that said these were considered by many to be the epitome of "outstanding" Remington bolt action rifles. They have the Mauser claw extractor, not the cheap little clip in the bolt face for an extractor of the 721,722,725,700. Squared and integral recoil lug. "S" shaped bolt handle welded on. Beautiful natural wood stock selection. I'm pretty sure these weren't used as Sniper rifles any time during WWII. Unlike the Winchester 70's that were 'borrowed' from recreation to do that duty.

Edit:

I forgot to mention, The bulk of what Remington had on hand were bought up by the Navy. These were awarded for many years one per year, after they had ceased production. The reason was they were slated for destruction. Someone involved in the Navy shooting program convinced the Secretary of the Navy to give one out per year as an award for the top Navy shooter(s?).

thanks for the info.Shot it today took the stripper clips great and is very accurate. Pulled the lyman 2.5 scope off and installed the lymen 48r peep sight on it.I have seen a picture of one used in Vietnam with a scope

They are nice guns! Just what was mentioned before. The Model 720 was an improved Remington Model 30 Express. There where about 3 or 4 different versions of the Model 30 not to mention calibers they came in. The Model 30 was the improved/sporterized version of the U.S. Model 1917 Enfield.

I've got a Rem. Model 30 Express I'm restoring right now (barrel is junk in the bore and refinishing/restoring the stock).

Never saw any pictures of one being used in any type of a war. So that would be interesting.

If you ever would like to get rid of it let me know. I would be interested in a Model 720.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are nice guns! Just what was mentioned before. The Model 720 was an improved Remington Model 30 Express. There where about 3 or 4 different versions of the Model 30 not to mention calibers they came in. The Model 30 was the improved/sporterized version of the U.S. Model 1917 Enfield.

I've got a Rem. Model 30 Express I'm restoring right now (barrel is junk in the bore and refinishing/restoring the stock).

Never saw any pictures of one being used in any type of a war. So that would be interesting.

If you ever would like to get rid of it let me know. I would be interested in a Model 720.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
</div></div>

Frank,

That's pretty cool, they were great rifles themselves. What caliber are you restoring it in?

A tidbit of info:
The Remington Model 30 only came in 30-06. The Model 30 Express came in 30-06 Springfield, .25 Rem, .30 Rem, .32 Rem, .35 Rem, 7mm Mauser, and .257 Remington-Roberts (aka "The Bob")
The express came in three grades:
30 Express
30S Special
30SL Special
The prettiest one I ever saw was a 30SL in .257 Remington-Roberts. Unfortunately, it was the last time Remington chambered that round in a long action like it should be.

Sandwarrior, My Model 30 Express was in .30-06 and I'm putting it back to .30-06 again.

Duplicating the original contour of the barrel.

The barrel that's on the gun on the outside is nice with no pitting etc...but the bore like how a lot of guns are taken care of had no care at all. Typical corrosive ammo and no proper cleaning. Most of the lands are gone due to heavy corrosion etc...

My gun has the Lyman 48 sight on it. So that was a bonus. The rear receiver bridge was drilled and tapped for a scope base but it wasn't butchered up and the barrel was drilled and tapped for the front base but the front receiver ring wasn't drilled and tapped at all. So I just put a couple of filler screws in the rear bridge.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels