• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 721 good for a build?

Re: Remington 721 good for a build?

where you going to find sock to fit action screws? im pretty sure their not the 700 spacing, and the bottom metal is different as well as tthe mag inlet if you went with a DBM, but im sure with enough money you can figure something out???

Thanks, I'll look into the spacing, I think I've seen stocks that say they fit both (same footprint) but now that you mentioned it I'll check it out. I know I haven't seen any built on 721 but just looking at it the receiver looks like it's well built.

The hole spacing is the same as a 700. The rear tang is a little thicker than a 700 but nothing major. Very good action to build on IMHO.

Regards, Paul

Reactions: Gunfun

mmmm lern something every day.... thought the lead action screw was 1/16 further away... did not know that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where you going to find sock to fit action screws? im pretty sure their not the 700 spacing, and the bottom metal is different as well as tthe mag inlet if you went with a DBM, but im sure with enough money you can figure something out??? </div></div>

Well you're not quite 100% completely wrong.....in comparison to the 700 long action the only 2 things that won't interchange and be workable is the bolt release spring and the 700 safety lever on the 721!!! Oh, and the extractors, the 721 extractor is near impossible to find anymore.

If the bolt could be replaced with a 700 bolt, then wouldn't the extractor problem would go away? I have a 721 in .270 Win and it is very accurate. The barrel is not a heavy barrel and the POI changes after the barrel heats up, but I have read many postings that say the 721 is accurate, desirable, and suitable for a build.
I keep mine as a back-up hunting rifle with Williams peep sights for rainy days or if the scope on my primary rifle gets bumped hard.

the safety is also a cutout in the stcok on the 721 where as on the 700 the action is cut for it