• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 721

nnn66

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2006
Texas
I recently purchased a 721 action 30-06, all original. This was sort of an impulse buy just because I was looking for a very inexpensive 30-06 to play with and the price was right on this rifle. After purchasing, I did a little research on the 721 and discovered that they've had safety issues as well as non-existent extractors should I ever need a replacement. I have also learned that some people have opted to install a sako extractor or even have the bolt prepped for installation of a 700 extractor.

After learning about these issues, I kinda wish I had done my research BEFORE rather than after deciding to purchase the gun. Still, for the price I paid, it's really not too big of a concern. However, I am interested in hearing about other people's experiences with the 721, especially the extractor issue. How likely is that extractor to fail and what do you guys consider the best option for replacement should the need arise?

I wouldn't put the cart before the horse. It's not a problem until it breaks (unless you're grizzly hunting), then send the bolt off for the modification.

Yes, I agree that it's not a problem unless it actually breaks and for my intended use of the rifle, I doubt it will get enough use to break. My question is simply because I'm curious to know which type of extractor would be the best replacement if a person were to replace one. I figure that if original replacement extractors were plentiful, mine would probably never break and I'd never even give it a second thought. However, since replacement parts seem to be quite rare, it couldn't hurt to be knowledgeable about what the best fix is, just in case...

My extractor broke and I had a Sako type extractor installed. Wasn't that big of a deal.

Actually, if it was me I'd go for an M-16 extractor simply because you can find them at about any gunshow in the event you broke one of those.

I have a 721 as well and I was thinking about a whole new ptg bolt with the M16 extractor already in place. They make a 721 specific bolt. The only difference I can see is that it doesnt have the groove cut in one of the lugs for the bolt guide that the 700 bolt does. As far as the saftey issues, I fixed thaf with a Timney 700 trigger. I also knstalled a 700 safety after notching the back of the action.