• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 722 action??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
What can someone tell me about the rem 722 actions? Are they as good for building on as a rem 700? I have a chance to buy a barreled action on the dirt cheap, but i dont know squat about them. Are the parts/trigger interchangeable with a rem 700? Do they have the same footprint? Can i put a rem 722 action in a rem 700 stock? Any info will be great!! Thanks lee

Re: Remington 722 action??

The 722 is basically the same thing as a 700 short action. The only thing I know of that is different right off is the rear tang doesn't have a relief for the 700's trigger safety. Other than that, the action should bolt right into a 700 SA stock. The bolt will have a different style handle, and is straight, so there might need to be a little material relieved in the stock to compensate for that too. Out and out they are a nice action, and would be great for a project.

Dave

Re: Remington 722 action??

I'm sure Dans40X will chime in to school us up....lol

They are pretty good actions. My buddy blueprinted one and they were pretty squared away. He could have gotten away with just lapping the lugs, and that can even be considered overkill. He built a super accurate 308 off of it. I have a 722 in .222 Remington and it is super accurate. I modified it for a Remington Trigger and Safety.