• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing remington 760 gamemaster

JWGILLAM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2009
asheville nc
another family rifle I might be shooting with, actually I want to make this my hunting rifle as it is half the weight of either of my 700's. It is an old 30-06 pump pretty sure it is a 760 gamemaster. heres my problem. gramps shot a ton of old den 43 armor piercing ammo with corrosive primers through it and wasn't good about cleaning it. the barrel is fucked. gun doesn't shoot worth a damn, it needs a new barrel haven't been able to find a source on replacement barrels, also how hard is one of these barrels to change, do i need a smith or can I do it myself with my basic mechanical skill. and if there is a good source on replacement barrels I have thought about changing to a .270. help me out here guys this is the best source of info I know....

Re: remington 760 gamemaster

After looking at the exploded view, I realized I have a couple magazines for this rifle... been wondering what they were for a while...
grin.gif

If you can use them, let me know, I'll send them to you,
Andy

thanks andy! I might pm you on those mags it is much appreciated. anyone one else have some insight on these barrels is the 7600 and the 760 barrels inter-changeable and how hard to change and where to find. don't want to let this family heirloom die due to a shitty barrel

What size groups is it shooting? I have never seen any of the Remy 760,7600,or 742's that shot any better than 2" at 100 yd.

My experience with 'screwed' bores is that once the basic crud has been cleaned/polished out, the key accuracy affecting blemish is a distorted crown. I would look into a quick and dirty recrowning process and try it afterward, before I wrote the Barrel off completely.

I mean, even spinning a round headed brass screw in a drill, held against the crown with valve grinding compound, will be good enough to rule out the crown.

If you're expecting match accuracy from a 750/760/etc.; it was probably never there to begin with. But a little bit of elbow grease, courage, and hope, combined with reasonable expectations, could save you some bucks.

Greg

Reactions: Mordamer

it has been a while since it was shot, my pops was saying terrible groups like 4-5in or worse. I definatly don't expect it to shoot like my 700's do, but 4-5in i might as well be shooting my sks or xdm handgun. the problem with the barrel is half way down the tube you can see where the rifling has been rusted and pitted its bad. My grandpa prob let it sit in his cabinet for 15+ years after shooting a bunch of corrosive primed military surplus armor piercing ammo through it with out cleaning and its pretty damn bad. thanks for your inputs, I still would love to locate a barrel for it as I don't think that one is salvageable, but I'm no expert

10 years ago, I was on a quest for the internet's holy grail of accuracy, the 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards.

I was actually corresponding with Greg, from another sniper list.

Everyone said they got a 1" group, but at all the ranges I visited for a year, I only saw it done twice:
1) A .223 M70 Coyote with Federal Gold match ammo by a guy that was at the range every day and had allot of money into his bags and benchrest.
2) A Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62x54R with 18X Redfield as dim as a dark night, with Sierra 180 gr bullets jammed into the lands. The stock was an old Fajen. The bore had been hand lapped with a bore guide and a poured lead lap of Clover valve grind compound to get out the tight spot. The bore looked like the most corroded bore I had ever seen. The guy gets a few very accurate shots, and then has to do evening of Outer's Foul Out electronic cleaning. The guy has since upgraded the scope to an $80 Asian, but shot a doe in the head at 200 yards with it in 2008.

How could such a sewer pipe bore be so accurate?
I felt like the world was playing a joke on me.

I now have a few rifles that are capable of sub .5 moa, and do not have cleaning issues.
I like Lothar Walther Chrome Moly barrels and Shilen select match stainless steel barrels for; accuracy, staying clean, and value.

If it were my family heirloom 760, I would either clean and lap it, shoot a wallet group, and put it in the safe, or I would put a premium barrel [stress relieved and lapped at the factory] on it.

thanks again for everyone's input but the ? still remains where to get a replacement barrel. and replacing it...

I realize that this isn't going to shoot sub-moa I would be an idiot to expect so. both my big barrel 700's will do so on a good day but they both have high power scopes and are very heavy(not for hunting). I'm pretty much wanting to restore this old hunting rifle and use it to deer hunt in the mountains. I'm going to try to take it by a local place on monday that does some smithing and get some more input.

thanks again

Justin

Replacing the barrel is a piece of cake, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes or so - the receiver extension is bolted to the front of the receiver.

I've seen the barrels complete with extension for sale on the various auction sites from time to time.

Otherwise, provided you've got the barrel extension wrench - they shouldn't be terribly difficult to fit a new barrel to. Although I seem to recall someone saying they are a left hand thread.

I'm thinking Jim Kobe on here has said he's done them for customers in the past.

760breech.jpg

Try remington7400.com. That's Accuracy Systems in Colorado.
They specialize in Remington pumps and semi-auto's.

One of my friend's dads owns one in 30-06. The absolute best it shoots is 1.5" for us. His is in very nice condition and has been well cared for.

I'd try scrubbing the barrel good, get some WipeOut or the electronic bore cleaner stuff and have a good attack on it.

Numrich might be out of barrels now, but keep them in mind, since they come and go. If you want a drop in tube NOW try looking at GunBroker or Ebay.

Is it worth spending $300 for a custom fitted tube? Even if you put a "crap" Adams and Bennet in the matching contour on it for $80 plus plumbing fees I bet it would do what you want for it, probably cost you under $250

thanks again everyone, I actually found someone locally with a .270 barrel who is going to look ing at it for me. $122 installed if its the same production . this site again proves to be a great source of info feedback and support. thanks to all...

Justin

This is not as bad a rifle as what has been represented here. I've had two, both in .30-06 both would shoot 1" groups(handloads). My friend had several, one or two that would shoot 3/4" groups.

They are as reliable as a 700 but have the "advantage" of being similar to anyone familar with the 870. I found it far superior to a bolt for running game shots in heavy cover.

They have put alot of meat in the freezer.

Remington sold alot of them.

My brother has a 760. It didn't take much to work up a load for it. First 30-06 load I picked out of the book shot just under 1". I left it alone.

Don't know if you found anything yet but you might want to contact Dennis Olson in Plains Montana (406-826-3790) about this. He put a Lilja 3 groove on my 760 and it shoots well under 1 MOA. Not bad for a pump gun.

I don't have any info on the 7600, but the 760 uses a .885" trunion then a major diam of .872 on the threads. If you found a take off barrel with a larger minor diam than .875" you could use that barrel.(ie: a 700,70,110,98 or 77 barrel would work if you turned and rethreaded it.)

There is a 760 Gamemaster at a local shop for $300. It is in 270. If you want the barrel for $65, I could be talked into the action for a 6.5-06.

Clean it really really good, if you have some rust, soak in Kroil for a few days.

Then do the competition break in as listed here:

I know it talks about new rifles, but does just as good for old ones, I have seen rifles with horrible pitting shoot sub moa and I have seen rifles go from 6+ down to 1/2 moa, you never know until you try.

#################################################

RIFLE BARREL BREAKIN PROCEDURE

First Read and Heed All Manufacturer's Literature

YOU WILL NEED;

1. A good quality Brass, Carbon fiber or coated cleaning rod.

2. A good cleaning solvent, I prefer Shooters choice.

3. A good all brass and bronze bore brush, I prefer pro shot.

4. A good brass patch holder.

5. A good supply of 100% cotton patches.

6. A can of Kroil or a good lubricant that is non Teflon base.

INITIAL CLEANING;

I. First, when you get your new rifle, Run a loose patch coated with bore cleaner through the bore always working from the chamber end if possible and let set 5 min.

2. Then with your brass and bronze brush scrub the bore 10 full back and fourth strokes.

3. Then run a tight clean patch through the bore.

4. Now run a new loose patch coated with solvent through the bore and let set another 5 min

5. Next swab with a clean dry tight fitting patch.

6. Now dip a snug patch in the lubricant and run through the bore and lubricate the rest of your new rifle as per manufacture's recommendations.

AT THE RANGE;

1. After checking the bore for any obstructions load and fire one round down range.

Wait 5 min for cool down then run a snug patch down the bore coated with your lubricant.

2. Repeat this procedure for the first 10 rounds observing the 5 min cool down period and lubrication after each round.

3. After the first 10 rounds repeat the initial cleaning procedure.

4. Repeat the above procedures each 10 rounds for the first 30 rounds cleaning every

10th round.

5. Then repeat to 50 rounds and clean again.

6. Then repeat to 75 rounds and clean again

7. Then repeat to 100 rounds and clean again.

At 100 rounds your barrel will be properly broken in and will shoot as good as it can. You should clean and lubricate your bore between 10 and 20 rounds after break in depending on caliber. Smaller calibers more often( every 10 rounds) land larger calibers less often (every 20 rounds). Clean and lubricate at the end of every shooting session Regardless of the number of rounds fired.

##################################################

Going to be putting a Simmons Whitetail 6 - 24 with a 50 mm objective on a 760 Gamemaster. Any recommendations for scope rings and base?

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
Good luck. I know many people that swear by the Amish automatics for woods deer hunting. Keep us updated