• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 770 question

JHenckel

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2011
Texas
hey guys i got a used 770 in .300 win mag as a gift from a buddy who is deploying. i know this is a cheaper rifle but i was wondering if there were any mods i can throw on it such as a better stock trigger etc... its got some shitty glass on it right now but ive got a spare nikon im going to put on it. im not really a bolt gun guy but im willing to learn. thanks

Re: remington 770 question

Hmm...be happy with your free gun and if you feel like you want to upgrade give it to another new shooter.
I did a quick search on the web and didn't find any replacement stocks for the 770....so shoot it a bunch and move on is what I would do.

good insight, youre right though, but dont think im not super exited about it, a free gun is a free gun. i was just a little curious, i couldnt find anything for it either. thanks man

The 770 and similar low cost hunters are actually very good as-is for their intended purpose, which is to put a hunter in the field for less bucks. I can't say what percentage of deer are harvested each year with such impliments, but I'm guessing the percentage is not small.

With that in mind, their construction doesn't easily lend itself to upgrades, and the aftermarket parts folks have turned their eyes toward more capable platforms.

As a hunter, you have an OK firearm. As something else, not so much.

Greg

I believe its an upgrade/new version of the 710.
Barrel is not threaded into the receiver but rather pressed in.
The bolt has 3 lugs that locks into the barrel (I guess so it won't blow off?? haha)
Just got done last night working on my friends 710.
Most of its plastic, and the plastic mag catch broke off of his.
But like he said, "It's my truck gun that I don't care if it gets banged up or stepped on by my son. It still shot a 14 point buck"
So I leave it at that
Like mentioned above, a free gun is a free gun
Shoot it and have fun
Sean