• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 783.

hillbillydelux

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
Hey all I was at a local gun store and saw a they were selling Remington 783 rifles for an extremely low price. I don't have a lot of experience with the 700 series rifles but my understanding is the 783 is basically a 700 with a barrel nut. Is that correct?

No, that is not correct.

The 783 is more like the Marlin x7 (I think is the name)

It has that stupid blade trigger. The action probably isn't to bad, the bolt is similar to a 700 but with a floating bolt head and better extractor, but the shroud is plastic for some reason.

The barrels are button rifled.

That's all I know, have only held them.

Yeah not even close. If your looking between an off the shelf rem700 adl and that then they'll probably shoot the same, somewhere around 2-4moa. If you want it for options or for a build then run away. Itll probably fade out in a couple years anyway like all the other cheap actions they put out.

Cool thanks guys! I will stay away then! I shoot savage rifles but have been thinking about getting a 700 to build/learn/play with. A friend of mine said the local scheels is selling them for 250$ New and I figured that would be a cheap way in haha. I should know better than to try and sneak in the cheap way by now!

If you want a 700 cheap Dicks is running a sale right now on the ADL Stainless and Varmint models. The sale price is $499 plus a $50 rebate, and if you buy a Remington brand filler item for a couple bucks to get the purchase total over $500 before tax you also get a $50 gift card by mail. Sell the scope that comes on it for $40-50 and you have either a stainless or heavy barrel 700 for under $400. If you sign up for their credit card and you get 10% off your first purchase too so you could save more as well but you'd have to buy a few more boxes of ammo or something to qualify for the $50 gift card.

If you want a 700 cheap Dicks is running a sale right now on the ADL Stainless and Varmint models. The sale price is $499 plus a $50 rebate, and if you buy a Remington brand filler item for a couple bucks to get the purchase total over $500 before tax you also get a $50 gift card by mail. Sell the scope that comes on it for $40-50 and you have either a stainless or heavy barrel 700 for under $400. If you sign up for their credit card and you get 10% off your first purchase too so you could save more as well but you'd have to buy a few more boxes of ammo or something to qualify for the $50 gift card.

Or, you could not buy from Dicks considering they screwed a bunch of people of of ARs, and show little support for shooting other then making money off of us.

You should be able to find a cheap Remington 700 ADL for around 450$ look around the pawn shops maybe cheaper.

Or, you could not buy from Dicks considering they screwed a bunch of people of of ARs, and show little support for shooting other then making money off of us.

You should be able to find a cheap Remington 700 ADL for around 450$ look around the pawn shops maybe cheaper.

Boo fucking hoo. They gave those people they "screwed" a $100 gift card, they could have said fuck you, we're refunding you and won't fill the orders and not giving you anything. People deal with companies every day that really do screw people, like Midway who has fucked up just about every order I've placed from them this year one way or another and it's my problem when they do and I have to go out of my way to fix it. Or Walmart who also pulled black guns for a while.

I've got no problem with dicks, they have excellent prices all around and you can't beat their exclusive rifles. If you don't want to shop there fine, but you're the one that's getting screwed if you pay $450 for a old used blued ADL at pawn shop.

I'll continue to support companies that stand by the second amendment, if that means paying a little more so be it.

Dicks is not one of those companies, and to make matters worse they've gone back on their word and started selling ARs at other stores, no thanks. Never doing business with them again.

This month's American Rifleman (November issue) has a feature article about the Remington 783. They like it.

Just out of curiosity, which of you that is pointing out the flaws of the 783 actually owns or has shot one? Just curious where you are getting your info from.

Not meaning to bash or hate on the rifle. Ive sold several of them. Customers weren't overly thrilled but hey it was affordable. Its not a horrible rifle for a 300yd deer rifle but this is snipershide and I believe the op was wondering if he could build up from it. Ive owned a rem 710, got it shooting an inch and killed deer with it but thats the extent of the rifle. No where to go with it like other actions offer.

And having dealt with remington factory rifles and sending them back to remington because of accuracy concerns, they seem pretty happy with 2in groups at 100yds.