• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 9 1/2 M Primer for 338 LM?

TDH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
metro Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I am trying to start loading for 338LM and I don't have any other magnum rifles that I load for. I have primers for large rifle, large pistol, and small pistol.

I picked up some Remington 9 1/2 M Primer's today and they are Magnum primers, but from what I've read they are on the low end of Magnum and many people use them for standard large rifle.

I have never used Remington Primers. I have mostly used CCI and Wolf with a few Winchester mixed in here and there.

I'm curious if anyone has used these primers and if so what were your results.

I'm planning on using them to propel a 300 gr HPBT Match King out of a 28" Krieger 1:9.35 twist barrel.

Re: Remington 9 1/2 M Primer for 338 LM?

I did some testing using rem 9 1/2M and fed 215m and 215.

The resolts did what a heavy magnum shooter and builder told me. note I wont use his name however he is known for Magnum rifles and builds.

what I have found is that the 9 1/2M rem consistently gave better SD and ES than the others did not to say that the groops were better at 600 yards.

The best groops were with the 215m I do not have the data with me any more. I may still have the grony data in the reloading room, would take some digging to find. The system used was a HTR with 10 twist and 8-32X56 NXS.

The load used is the accuracy load of Sierra manual for 338LM with 300g SMK I belive the powder chare was 78.2g of IMR 4350(dont quote me on the charge with out checking the book your self). I used Lapua brass, powder dumper I used was a RCBS 1500 chargemaster, brass was Full lingth resized with Forester Bananza and seated the same also the SMK'S weighed 300.1g. note I tried to insure that the loading had no change other than the PRIMERS.

In short for my System the test turned out that the 215 and 215m were running close to the same. note the pressure and volictys were close.
the 9 1/2M Rem witch is a lighter primer gave consistently closer velositys, and the pressures seemed less. Note this is what I was told.

I just had to try one boring long weekend.

Re: Remington 9 1/2 M Primer for 338 LM?

I taught my nephew to reload on a Dillon 550 over the holidays.

TRG-42 in .338LM, Nightforce NSX 5.5-22x56

96 of Retumbo in once-fired Lapua brass, 250 SMKs, Remington 9 1/2Ms.

He proofed his first handloads ever at 300 Meters prone from the bipod, first time ever on the rifle.

100-7X on the NRA SR-C highpower target.