• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington accused of 700 series dangerous flaws

Re: Remington accused of 700 series dangerous flaws

Just saw it on the Today show....linked to a handfull of deaths for accidental discharge... they even had a police sniper just jigle the bolt handle and it fired....hmmmm...

I would not call it a design flaw but rather it is like a chain saw, table saw, band saw, which are as we all know can very dangerous but if handled correctly they can be used forever.
Basically any trigger that depends on a piece of sheet metal sliding somewhere to retard/stop trigger movement is a potential problem but then again so is driving a car.

The only truly safe designs are those that physically lock the striker in place to prevent it from falling i.e. Mod 70 Win, 1903 Springfield, Ruger MK II, military Mausers and a few others.
With that being said I have seen similar problem in Savage rifles and I stress this to everyone which is if you don't have one of the above the only safety you can count on is to have the bolt open.

If you shoot highpower matches you are NOW not allowed to close your bolt until the targets are up. Previously you loaded in the standing position for rapid fire which got kind of dicey as guys sitting down had muzzles pointing everywhere. I was told a shooter was sitting down in Florida match a number of years ago with a 40X in this condition and it went off when the shooter's rear hit the ground and shot the hat off a guy next to him.

I was not there but assuming it is the same rifle I saw, it was because someone had adjusted the trigger to less than a pound let off and for that reason only it was extremely dangerous.

I shot with the guy and it went off several times as he shut the bolt in rapid fire and once when he sat down hard and jarred he rifle. He had just bought the rifle (used condition) and when it happened I checked it and told him someone had adjusted the trigger improperly and it was not safe.

Apparently he did not take my warning and kept shooting it and the above happened.

I have adjusted triggers for a number of friends and I let them watch me slam the bolt shut a number of times to let them see it is rapid fire safe and I tell all of them, the only safe actions are striker lockers and since they do not have such, don't shut the bolt till you are ready to shoot.

Now NRA has this in their rules. Don't shut the bolt till the targets come up.

You will notice on Remington triggers there is goop on the trigger adjustment screws to let them know if you have been adjusting the trigger and it falls off when it is first touched with a screwdriver. Unfortunately there are lots of guys out there that adjust triggers that do not know what they are doing and try and make a Olympic 300 meter trigger out of a hunting trigger.

As I remember on the 600 incident and my contacts at Remington told me this kid was walking behind his father with safety on and he had pulled the trigger fiddling with it and when he flipped safety off it went off shooting father in back. Father was attorney and sued. As it turned out they were hunting on the property owned by the judge who was going to hear the case and Remington could not get another attorney in state to take the case and ..................

I have nine of them. Am I going to sell them? NO. Will I get another YEP, (looking for a solid bottom 40X action now).

OK so we have a potential problem but I tend to look at it this way. If I am driving down the road, start dialing my cell phone, cross the center line and attempt to take out a 10 wheel dump truck head on who is at fault?

With the referenced logic (design flaw) the highway department is because they did not install Jersey Bouncers or median barriers on interstates to stop lane changing into oncoming traffic. Then again I have seen vehicles jump the cable barriers and still take out a oncoming vehicle which by this logic proves the highway designers had a design flaw.

Thusly I would not classify it as a design flaw but an undesirable attribute that utilized with proper care can be used a lifetime without problems.

Bottom line if if you want to stop alcoholism stop making liquor, lung cancer stop making cigarettes, wrecks stop making cars, planes hitting buildings move the buildings haha.

Would I make a change if I owned the company? Probably I would have a safety and trigger like 1903 Springfield but then again I have seen guys make a 1903 trigger unsafe (trying to make it a 300 meter trigger) so you have a unending case of dumb asses handling firearms who should restrict their combat activities to chess because the bumper sticker on their cars says vote democrat. D E M O C R A T now let me be clear, make no mistake, we all know THEY BE A DESIGN FLAW ! ! ! !

Here are my thoughts. FWIW... I have to say I've adjusted triggers on my own Remington rifles and I'm not an expert. But I an pretty mechanically savvy and have never done it without a diagram or exploded view of the trigger right in front of me so I know EXACTLY what's happening when I turn those screws. I check nine-ways-to-Sunday to be sure the firing pin will not fall by slamming the bolt closed... dropping the rifle every way I can... slamming the butt on the floor... engaging the safety, pulling the trigger and then dis-engaging the safety... everything I can think of. I'm sure I don't make the trigger as light as it can be but my rifles are safe. Now... that said, I don't mess with a trigger if it's already decent or I can't find a diagram to study.

Personally, I take adjusting a trigger VERY SERIOUSLY and would never recommend it to anyone... and would NEVER adjust someone elses trigger. Unfortunately, not everyone is like me in this regard.

I think manufacturers should figure out how to make triggers on "Factory" rifles NON-ADJUSTABLE. If you want an adjustable trigger, go out and spend the extra $200+ for an aftermarket trigger that was precision-made to be adjusted and then have only a qualified Gunsmith adjust it.

You can't blame Remington for unsafe practices by customers once the rifles leave the factory. That would be like blaming a Knife manufacturer every time someone got cut with a knife... RIDICULOUS!

This might me a dumb Q but here it goes.

Would a direct replacemnet trigger such as a Jewell be built with the same "potential" problem or does this cure any issues.

Thanks
Derrick

I don't think it would change the fact that it doesn't lock the firing pin as well, just the trigger. I could be wrong about it, but from what I've read about this story is that it will fire due to that reason. Your best bet is not to point your loaded gun at something you don't intend to shoot. People need to practice safe handling skills regardless of any "design flaws", this way, even if it misfires it won't hit a person, rather just shoot into the air.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might me a dumb Q but here it goes.

Would a direct replacemnet trigger such as a Jewell be built with the same "potential" problem or does this cure any issues.

Thanks
Derrick </div></div>
Actually... No, it wouldn't cure the problem because the problem is not the mechanical device. It's the "Loose nut behind the trigger". But if manufacturers only installed NON-adjustable triggers it would take the heat off of them. Remington would no longer get blamed... Jewell would. I know it really only shifts the blame but do you think the media or liberals would make such a big stink about the fact that someone was negligent with a "Custom adjustable Trigger"?.... Noooo, they want to Hang a "Firearms Manufacturer".

Besides, I'm sure that Jewell and every other trigger manufacturer out there includes warnings and disclaimers with every trigger they sell.

I agree with not pointing at something you dont intend to shoot. But I hate to be on a big hunt, see a trophy walk out and you pull up your rifle click the safety off and BOOM you trophy just dissapeared.

just thinking out loud

I have a Remington 700, and one day I discovered that when I closed the bolt to put it in my safe(unloaded) and the rifle was in the vertical position it would fire. It was empty and this even was repeatable every time I cycled the bolt with the rifle in a pure vertical position with the safety off. I placed the gun horizontally no problems. My solution was to replace the trigger with a Jewell trigger and have a gunsmith look at it.

fire instructions!

See trophy
mount rifle
put crosshairs on vitals
slowly slip safety off
if animal is not shot yet squeeze trigger

just thinking out loud

As on par with any of these Remington trigger discussions, there is a plethora of mis-information by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Tons of speculation and rhetoric, but very very little real effort into looking at the facts behind the matter...

Dave

The sear was worn, and it wasn't holding in a vertical position for some reason. It was only 10 years old.

I still trust my gun, because I trust myself to be safe with the muzzle, etc...

im Sorry but all my Sako triggers never get this problem and i have them turned as light as they will go.

The remmington 700 is an American fascination and in my opinion a low quality gun. i wouldnt spend a £ on one ever.

The design doesnt come close to the winchester 70 which in fact is a european design based on a Mauser. Same with Tikka, and Sako.

i have never heard of unintended discharge or bolt handles snapping off those guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im Sorry but all my Sako triggers never get this problem and i have them turned as light as they will go.

The remmington 700 is an American fascination and in my opinion a low quality gun. i wouldnt spend a £ on one ever.

The design doesnt come close to the winchester 70 which in fact is a european design based on a Mauser. Same with Tikka, and Sako.

i have never heard of unintended discharge or bolt handles snapping off those guns. </div></div>
Blah, Blah, Blah... How does that have any relevance to this thread. I'm happy for you and your "superior" European rifle. Now go find someone who gives a rusty-Fuck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As on par with any of these Remington trigger discussions, there is a plethora of mis-information by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Tons of speculation and rhetoric, but very very little real effort into looking at the facts behind the matter...

Dave </div></div>
I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea about anything past what I've experienced myself. Not tryin' to be a dick, but can you enlighten those of us who are in this boat... Or point us in the right direction. Thanks...

Remington 700 is great rifle, and its sales and customization that people do with them speaks for itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im Sorry but all my Sako triggers never get this problem and i have them turned as light as they will go.

i have never heard of unintended discharge or bolt handles snapping off those guns. </div></div>
Blah, Blah, Blah... How does that have any relevance to this thread. I'm happy for you and your "superior" European rifle. Now go find someone who gives a rusty-Fuck!</div></div>

its relevant because you say its user related but the users of different rifles adjust their triggers and have no problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im Sorry but all my Sako triggers never get this problem and i have them turned as light as they will go.

Blah, Blah, Blah... How does that have any relevance to this thread. I'm happy for you and your "superior" European rifle. Now go find someone who gives a rusty-Fuck!</div></div>

its relevant because you say its user related but the users of different rifles adjust their triggers and have no problem </div></div>
If you had stopped with the first sentence in your post I probably would have left it alone... But you had to throw the insults in there. And not just toward the rifle, but also toward Americans. That part just pissed me off.

... And since you brought it up, what evidence do you have (besides your own personal experience) that the same type of mis-haps haven't been experienced with your preferred brand of rifle? Cheers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As on par with any of these Remington trigger discussions, there is a plethora of mis-information by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Tons of speculation and rhetoric, but very very little real effort into looking at the facts behind the matter...

Dave </div></div>
I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea about anything past what I've experienced myself. Not tryin' to be a dick, but can you enlighten those of us who are in this boat... Or point us in the right direction. Thanks... </div></div>

If you search this forum, or look under my past posts on Rem 700 triggers there is some information found there, I am also thinking on explaining the problems on video with a disassembled trigger. I'll see if I can get on that. Not sure what this news report is going to cover or not, but am curious to see.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remington 700 is great rifle, and its sales and customization that people do with them speaks for itself.</div></div>

This problem is not related directly to aftermarket customization or trigger adjustment. A percentage (in Rem's mind an acceptable percentage) of these triggers fail right in the factory. Also, this issue lead to the complete recall of the Mowhawk 600 series of rifles, due to the trigger, which employed the exact same connector design.

For what it's worth, I think Remington makes an excellent rifle for the price point at which the 700 was designed to compete at. They surpass all others in that field, as evidenced by it being the number one selling rifle of all time.

I am also an advocate of firearm safety and of education. This is why I attempt to make people aware of the issues with the connector design, so they can either make the decision to replace the trigger (which is my advice), or they are at least aware of the problem, and can pay more attention to the handling and safety of that rifle. I think when given the proper breakdown of the why/how of this issue, most responsible people will choose to replace the trigger, but at a bare minimum my goal is to dispell the notion that there is nothing wrong with this trigger system, and the flow of mis-information coming from people who have taken little time to understand or educate themselves on the issue at hand.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fire instructions!

See trophy
mount rifle
put crosshairs on vitals
slowly slip safety off

just thinking out loud </div></div>

Is this how you hunt??? kinda funny, I like to rely on the clean crisp break of the trigger to make the most accurate humane shot possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im Sorry but all my Sako triggers never get this problem and i have them turned as light as they will go.

Ha. Fill out your profile.

Here's some Remington Documents for all to read:

Remington 1979-1980 Internal Memo's

In summary, and copied from the legal brief's:

<span style="font-style: italic">The Defect

1. Remington’s trigger mechanism uses an internal component called a “connector” – a design component not used by any other rifle manufacturer. The connector floats on top of the trigger body inside of the gun, but is not physically bound to the trigger in any way other than tension from a spring. When the trigger is pulled, the connecter is pushed forward by the trigger, allowing the sear to fall and fire the rifle.

2. The proper position of the connector under the sear is an overlap of only 25/1000ths of an inch, but because the connector is not bound to the trigger, the connector separates from the trigger body when the rifle is fired and creates a gap between the two parts.

3. Any dirt, debris or manufacturing scrap can then become lodged in the space created between the connector and the trigger, preventing the connector from returning to its original position.

4. Remington’s defective fire control could have been redesigned to eliminate the harm or danger very inexpensively. There is no valid engineering reason why the successfully utilized connectorless designs could not have been used by Remington in its Model 700 and 710.

5. In fact, Remington has recently done just that for the Model 700 with a newly designed trigger, the X-Mark Pro. That design, which eliminates the connector, was completed in 2002. However, Remington chose to continue with its prior unsafe design for financial reasons, never warning the public. Even today, Remington installs the new fire control into some but not all of its bolt-action rifles, leaving many users at risk with the old and defective design.
</span>

As for myself, I will continue to use the Remington 700, but I will not use the "old style" Remington (Mike Walker designed) trigger. I have for the last 20 years, always replaced my Remington trigger with a Timney trigger, as I do not trust the original Remington 700 trigger "as designed".

Other shooters should use what is comfortable and safe for them. Regardless of which trigger is chosen, good safe gun handling always comes first.

Regards,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derrick300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">fire instructions!

See trophy
mount rifle
put crosshairs on vitals
slowly slip safety off

just thinking out loud </div></div>

Is this how you hunt??? kinda funny</div></div>

Sad really, not funny. It is sad that it has become such a well known problem, that it is accepted that the safety MAY perform the function of primary fire control. We are ok with the fact that the rifle MAY fire when the safety is released even though that is not its intended function!?!? Seriously, what other rifles are doing this??

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for myself, I will continue to use the Remington 700, but I will not use the "old style" Remington (Mike Walker designed) trigger. I have for the last 20 years, always replaced my Remington trigger with a Timney trigger, as I do not trust the original Remington 700 trigger "as designed".

Other shooters should use what is comfortable and safe for them. Regardless of which trigger is chosen, good safe gun handling always comes first.

Regards,

Bob </div></div>

Well said Bob

One must question the timing of this EXPOSE' and as we all know the crap press has pre made segments on different segments to be played right after something happens or to take the country's attention off something else. Like what is about to happen in about 270 hours?

Think of the answers to these simple questions:

Could it possibly be that someone wants to "punish" Remington for supplying excellent sniper rifles to the USMC, US Army, US Navy that are being used to remove enemies of the US?

Think about it guys, who does the press love and who does the press hate?

Does the press support our troops like they should be supported?

Does the press relish the thought of exposing our troops to redicule?

Did the press support our guys in Nam?

Does the press support our guys in the middle east?

What party does 90% of the press vote for?

Does the press enjoy telling of deaths of our troops?

Do they report deaths of the rag heads with the same zeal?

They really enjoy reporting accidental deaths of civilians whether we did it or not.

The whole thing is they control 95% of the mass communications and they know they have the ability to shape opinions and do so at every opportunity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fx1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im Sorry but all my Sako triggers never get this problem and i have them turned as light as they will go.

its relevant because you say its user related but the users of different rifles adjust their triggers and have no problem </div></div>
If you had stopped with the first sentence in your post I probably would have left it alone... But you had to throw the insults in there. And not just toward the rifle, but also toward Americans. That part just pissed me off.

... And since you brought it up, what evidence do you have (besides your own personal experience) that the same type of mis-haps haven't been experienced with your preferred brand of rifle? Cheers...</div></div>

There is no insult in there stop being sensitive.

The remmington 700 is an American fascination, its widely known. look how much aftermarket customisation there is for that 1 type of rifle.

If the gun was better would half of the custom market exsist? i doubt it.

The european guns have been spawned from a totally different mindset. Most have been built to a standard and not a price, where the 700 is mass produced to a cost.

Blaser, Mauser, Sako and Tikka (not the T3)

Problems are more likely to arise from cutting corners and costs and this happened to Tikka when they bought cheap steel once and barrels blew up!

i suppose what im saying is....

You pay for what you get

well bud far as i can see opinions are like blank blank everyones got them
Remington model 700 is not americas most popular rifle for no reason. Have you ever heard that about a sako???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cadillac Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well bud far as i can see opinions are like blank blank everyones got them
Remington model 700 is not americas most popular rifle for no reason. Have you ever heard that about a sako??? </div></div>

Sako is probably Finlands most popular rifle!

I would assume so everywhere and everyone has their favs and all have thier pros and cons but dont knock it for some dumbasses tinkering with stuff they have no buisness tinkering with. I've had Remington rifles all my life and not once have they ever let me down
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wiganbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cadillac Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well bud far as i can see opinions are like blank blank everyones got them
Remington model 700 is not americas most popular rifle for no reason. Have you ever heard that about a sako??? </div></div>

Sako is probably Finlands most popular rifle! </div></div>

Population: 5,313,399... SAAALUTE!!! Yep, the whole Country!

Hmmm... And New York CITY's Population is over 8,000,000

Kinda what I was gettin at oneshot but being new to the site I dont want to get a bad name. All I gotta say is you can hate the player all you want but the game will always be the same the best will always comes out on top!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wiganbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cadillac Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well bud far as i can see opinions are like blank blank everyones got them

Hmmm... And New York CITY's Population is over 8,000,000 </div></div>

What has that got to do with anything! Are you saying that Remington make the best rifle in the world because they sell the most or do they build it to a price point making it the most popular. Also do you think a Remmington is a better rifle than a Sako?

Before I get flamed, I'm not knocking Remmy they make a great product I owned a PSS in .308 for a while and got good results with it and have never owned or fired a Sako.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wiganbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wiganbear</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cadillac Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well bud far as i can see opinions are like blank blank everyones got them

Hmmm... And New York CITY's Population is over 8,000,000 </div></div>

What has that got to do with anything! Are you saying that Remington make the best rifle in the world because they sell the most or do they build it to a price point making it the most popular. Also do you think a Remmington is a better rifle than a Sako?

Before I get flamed, I'm not knocking Remmy they make a great product I owned a PSS in .308 for a while and got good results with it and have never owned or fired a Sako. </div></div>

It really does have quite a bit to do with it. When there are so many Remingtons in so many variations sold to so many people, odds are there are going to be failures that get the media's attention.

No, I'm not saying that Remington makes a better rifle. Honestly, I don't know either way. But I'll bet I can shoot my Remington more accurately than you can shoot your Sako. Oh, that's right... You don't own one and have never shot one... You left yourself open for that one!
grin.gif
Cheers.

Ive had zero issues with mine and she aint no safe queen.
If its a failure thats caused due to stupidity I.E. some idiot dragging the rifle behind a land rover at 75 mph in the baja
well than some one show me something that hasnt failed due to client neglect and ill show you a real failure.

Re: Remington accused of 700 series dangerous flaw

Justed watched the program and it wasn't as anti-gun as I thought it would be. I have never had a problem with my 700 but will keep it in mind when changing from safe to fire

<span style="font-weight: bold">I watched the one-hour show. Watch the show and reach your own conclusions.</span>

It was a great disappointment to see the information they provided on the Model 700 and Remington Arms. The inventor of the Remington trigger was interviewed and admitted the trigger has dangerous faults which he unsuccessfully attempted to have Remington correct in several different instances. He explained Remington didn't want to make the changes due to the cost which were listed at 5 1/2 cents per gun, a costly amount when the rifle was initially designed.

This will seriously impact Remington and provide anti's with information to further their cause.

The show was nearly subliminal in its anti-gun position, but the underlying message is there. As for "the gun did it"...sorry but the gun don't point the muzzle. If the problem exsists as stated, then Remington should fix the problem to protect those who don't follow gun safety and to CTA. I've never had any kind of problem with any of mine. If you DEPEND on a safety it is an accident waiting to happen. If you watched the show, you heard Mr. Walker, "poor handling of rifles, that's all." I think I'll go test the brakes (safety) on my PU by driving headlong into a brick wall....yeah right.

My opinion:
1/ The gun can misfire due to the trigger design. Remington is at fault for not trying their best to fix the problem.
2/ All the cases were used in this report can be traced to user's fault for not following the first commandment. If all the guns had been pointed to the ground/target (when loaded/unloaded) like they were supposed to, none of those injury and death would occur.
So to me, both are at fault.

After some research, I don’t believe that the gun is flawed if you look at the vid of the police sniper shooting you will hear him say "no fire" which means he pulled the trigger. If he pulled the trigger and it didn’t go off that’s a hang fire, a problem with ammo not the weapon its self. If the mechanism was unsafe I do believe that the thousands of us gunsmiths that know how to do a proper trigger job would have noticed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROTTEN TREATS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After some research, I don’t believe that the gun is flawed if you look at the vid of the police sniper shooting you will hear him say "no fire" which means he pulled the trigger. If he pulled the trigger and it didn’t go off that’s a hang fire, a problem with ammo not the weapon its self. If the mechanism was unsafe I do believe that the thousands of us gunsmiths that know how to do a proper trigger job would have noticed. </div></div>
But in a later clip, a guy just flip his safety from S to F and the gun went off (his finger is clearly off the trigger from the start)

Mine work fine.

Anyone that feels lime their safety is in jeopardy by owning a Rem 700, I will properly dispose of it, and ease your burden.

Nothing was ever mentioned whether any of the rifles had trigger jobs done. Everyone knows if you don't adjust the trigger properly they can mess up. Sure, anything mechanical can and eventually will fail, but I would almost bet most of the rifles had trigger jobs done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for myself, I will continue to use the Remington 700, but I will not use the "old style" Remington (Mike Walker designed) trigger. I have for the last 20 years, always replaced my Remington trigger with a Timney trigger, as I do not trust the original Remington 700 trigger "as designed".

Regards,

Bob

</div></div>

Does a timney trigger fix the problem? They say a XMark Pro does (but Im not REAL inclined to give Remington more money after that show)... Im not going to waste a lot of time on the matter, but I want to make sure that whatever I get ADDRESSES the problem once and for all.

So these problems don't apply to the newer 700 models with the X Mark Pro trigger?

I dont understand. 1 40x I have I cant even pull the trigger with the safety on. Maybe Mine is broke.
smile.gif

It was still a huge win for the democrats in the anti gun campaign. They can say it could be fixed for .05 1/2 cents but that would have been back in like '48. I will still stand on if its kept clean, adjusted properly then you should hafta worry all that much.

No matter, just like the ten commandments always practice them, (#1)Keep it pointed in a safe direction, and (#3)Safeties can fail. Hell even on the Hunters Safety Course one of the questions is .... True or False, A Safety is a mechanical device that can fail.

Perfect timing for this to come to light right as hunting season gets here AND election time.